News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

Inspired Figment

Buzzy’s kinda hoping with all this talk about shoe horning IP, he can somehow be snuck into Tiana…maybe a salt miner or a co-op customer??
Nah, nah, see, see he isn’t considered valuable IP. Only ‘Film & TV based IPs’ are considered viable in Disney’s eyes and not necessarily the public’s. Maybe Knowsmore from Ralph Breaks the Internet is more viable in Disney’s eyes. I dunno..
IMG_4238.jpeg

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Let me ask you this then. Assuming a popular IP, in what instance does not using this IP make a ride better than not using it?

Hate to break it to you but it's not 1971.

Currently right now you have to make an argument for making some original IP attractions instead of investing in the following IP at WDW:
  • Wreck-it-Ralph
  • Zootopia
  • Moana
  • Coco
  • Brave
  • Big Hero 6
  • Inside Out
  • Cars
  • Tangled
  • Mary Poppins
  • Incredibles
  • Encanto
  • Luca
  • Raya
  • Cruella
  • Soul
  • Mulan
  • Maleficent
  • Aladdin (well it has a spinner)
  • Beauty and the Beast (if you don't count shows and just count attractions)
  • Cinderella
  • Monsters Univ (If you don't count Laugh Floor)
These are just movies from the last decade (Monsters Univ being 2013) that don't have rides at the park. That's just movies, I didn't even add any cartoons that would be incredibly popular too.

You have to make an argument that an original IP that would only exist as an attraction would be a better idea than using any of those characters from those stories that are well established in pop culture. If you're TWDC what are you investing $100M in?
Well off the top of my head, Everest comes to mind. It brought a big attendance boost to the park with zero Ip tie in. And there's really no IP tie in that would make it better. If it was originally made as the monsters inc, Sullys escape from the adorable snowman. Not better. Soarin was another one that was insanely popular the way it was. Sure you could have tied it into planes, but again, wouldn't be better.
I have no idea if my kids would like whatever mysterious original IP they could put in the parks. Maybe it would be great! Maybe it will be terrible! If we're talking future state - I'd much rather them invest in IP that I know my kid will love like Moana or Encanto.
Exactly. But I don't think that's a great argument to invest in just tie in content. Personally I would like them to invest in whatever gives my family and I the best experience. I don't want a mediocre ride like frozen because they had to shoehorn the IP into a spot. But Disney is counting on your type of thought process. My kids like frozen, so great, we get frozen!
If I'm TWDC....I invest in both popular IP and original attractions. I do what works best creatively for the parks. If that has IP, so be it. But if it requires using our imaginations and creating something new... well that's fine as well. But I wouldn't be blindly obsessing over movie IP almost as quickly as it's created. I wouldn't even touch IP that hadn't been popular for at least a decade, maybe more.
Yup, the rational mind thinks this way. The idea that it's a safer bet to use IP is suspect at best. Lots of rides weren't helped by Ip. It didn't help mermaid, or stitch... If you wanted to play the safe bet card, I'd say original concepts have a better chance to become classic.
That's bullcrap. You think there wasn't any amount of creativity and innovation that went into Rise of the Resistance just because it was Star Wars?
There's TONS of creativity in Rise. That's not the point. It's been said many times IP needs, and is expected to be in the parks. The issue is limiting creativity by not doing anything else.

As someone who is a fan of making music, although I'm not on the same level as an imagineer. While I have fun making my own versions/covers of my favorite songs. There's NOTHING more fulfilling than creating your own original composition. Just for giggles, I asked my son who wants to go into game design a similar scenario. I asked, if you were hired into Xbox studios, and they asked, we have two projects that need to be done. You can create the new halo, or head up creating a new concept for a game. He said, it would be cool to work on a new halo but I would rather create my own thing. Again, not the same level as imagineering, but it is a very common feeling with creative people. That doesn't mean you abandon IP either. They can help each other. Working on existing property can inspire a grand new concept that might not have come to light otherwise. Or the opposite can happen. You develop a concept for something original, and it isn't working, but oh man this would be great for a Moana attraction. Why limit the creative process?

StaceyH_SD

Both movie IP and original parks IP can be good or bad. But original IP has generally produced, pound for pound, more enduring, classic attractions than movie IP has. I mean let's be honest, GOTG is fun but will it ever be an essential part of EPCOT's identity like JII or SSE? Doubtful. GOTG have their own identity and it's got nothin to do with EPCOT.
I personally don’t care whether a ride/attraction is original IP or existing. If it’s a good ride or attraction that appeals to me I will enjoy it. I’ve never seen either Avatar movie but they did a great job with Pandora and FoP was a lot of fun even though I’ve never seen one minute of the movie. And I feel like that IP will be just fine 20 years from now. Maybe the ride tech not as much but that doesn’t have to do with the content.

My bigger issue at this point is actually adding content to the parks, updating what’s there, that kind of thing. WHY hasn’t anything been done with Journey into Imagination in so long? Why aren’t there actual human guides for Living with the Land anymore (that’s rhetorical, I know why)? Why is it taking them so song to finish that Moana water feature in the middle of Future World? I was there in August 2021. Why are there still walls up for an area that’s basically water and plants? Why haven’t they really done anything with the Coco IP? Even merch is severely lacking. You would think they’d want to make money. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Meanwhile, you can’t escape Frozen stuff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have no idea if my kids would like whatever mysterious original IP they could put in the parks. Maybe it would be great! Maybe it will be terrible! If we're talking future state - I'd much rather them invest in IP that I know my kid will love like Moana or Encanto. Especially if I'm spending $6k+ on a vacation.
Why so little? Get the “luxury” experience 👍🏻
TWDC is investing in new IP all the time, it's just not physical attractions at the parks.
Except they are not…

BlakeW39

I personally don’t care whether a ride/attraction is original IP or existing. If it’s a good ride or attraction that appeals to me I will enjoy it. I’ve never seen either Avatar movie but they did a great job with Pandora and FoP was a lot of fun even though I’ve never seen one minute of the movie. And I feel like that IP will be just fine 20 years from now. Maybe the ride tech not as much but that doesn’t have to do with the content.

My bigger issue at this point is actually adding content to the parks, updating what’s there, that kind of thing. WHY hasn’t anything been done with Journey into Imagination in so long? Why aren’t there actual human guides for Living with the Land anymore (that’s rhetorical, I know why)? Why is it taking them so song to finish that Moana water feature in the middle of Future World? I was there in August 2021. Why are there still walls up for an area that’s basically water and plants? Why haven’t they really done anything with the Coco IP? Even merch is severely lacking. You would think they’d want to make money. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Meanwhile, you can’t escape Frozen stuff.

Eh them not investing enough isn't really as big an issue imo. I mean it's a problem but they do devote large amounts of money to WDW. They just use those funds poorly. And I'd rather them not invest anything than invest in adding Zootopia to DAK for example. IP is fine in moderation but I'm kind of sick of it at this point. Universal has the better IPs anyways (and I'll stand by that)

flynnibus

Premium Member
The thing with Tokyo is, as @Inspired Figment said... they don't have their own WDI. So the fact that Tokyo is building IP attractions now just reflects the fact that those are the ideas WDI is proposing them.

The seller can’t dictate what the buyer will accept. The design team needs to incorporate what the buyer is seeking else nothing gets done

BlakeW39

The seller can’t dictate what the buyer will accept. The design team needs to incorporate what the buyer is seeking else nothing gets done

correct but ultimately whatever proposal OLC buys is coming from TWDC proper. So whatever is added to the park reflects on WDI just as much as it does the OLC. That's my only point.

MagicHappens1971

I won’t argue the merits of this IP bad / not bad anymore… however for OLC/Tokyo, WDI designs and builds what they (OLC) wants, not the other way around.

Inspired Figment

I won’t argue the merits of this IP bad / not bad anymore… however for OLC/Tokyo, WDI designs and builds what they (OLC) wants, not the other way around.
It’s about offering potential options ‘along’ with what they directly ask for, not only what they specifically want. As there was always a possibility WDI would make a proposal for something the higher ups at Disney or OLC would possibly like even better than what they initially proposed of or thought of first. The companies used to value their input and trust their talent, understandings, & abilities and possibly take some of their ideas into consideration at the very least, even if it wasn’t chosen all the time. Not anymore. ‘That’ is the difference between the Disney/OLC & WDI relationship of the past vs. now.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

My only point regarding Tokyo is that Fantasy Springs, which I will admit has never seemed very appealing to me, is reflective of WDI moving from basing their attractions/lands on a broader spectrum of creative ideas/themes to just basing them on movie IP. OLC obviously must like the idea too, but I think it does partly reflect an internal shift in WDI. not just all of a sudden, OLC only likes IP, which would go against the things we've WDI do there in the past.

MagicHappens1971

My only point regarding Tokyo is that Fantasy Springs, which I will admit has never seemed very appealing to me, is reflective of WDI moving from basing their attractions/lands on a broader spectrum of creative ideas/themes to just basing them on movie IP. OLC obviously must like the idea too, but I think it does partly reflect an internal shift in WDI. not just all of a sudden, OLC only likes IP, which would go against the things we've WDI do there in the past.
This isn’t how the relationship between OLC & WDI works. If OLC wanted an “original” attraction WDI would design and build one for them. That’s clearly not what they wanted.

BlakeW39

This isn’t how the relationship between OLC & WDI works. If OLC wanted an “original” attraction WDI would design and build one for them. That’s clearly not what they wanted.

No one is saying OLC wants an original attraction. You should look back at my post because that isn't what I implied. I said Fantasy Springs is reflective of WDI's shift towards IP. In the past WDI built lands based on themes, not IP, in all Disney parks. Now they build them in no Disney park. That WDI would create Fantasy Springs for OLC is thus unsurprising and at least partly reflective of WDI's (and really the industry as a whole) shift to IP focused lands. OLC may or may not have given them an IP mandate too, but you don't know that for certain. So all we can do is see the correlation between IP lands and today's WDI and draw the conclusion that it is possible WDI had creative influence over the idea's inception. And that it necessarily falls under the purview of what the OLC is willing to build.

BlakeW39

ehhhh…you’re off the reservation there. Even without the marvel contract that won’t be broken (though I can see it more now than before)…Disney has a lot to use for parks. More than Comcast.

Universal's got Jurassic Park, Dreamworks & Illumalination (weaker than WDAS & Pixar, but still), Nintendo, Marvel, Godzilla and other Kaiju like Kong, classic monsters, and even WB IP like Potter which could open up a whole other can of worms. Disney's got..what...animated films, Avatar and Star Wars? How much Fox IP will Disney use in its parks?

Inspired Figment

ehhhh…you’re off the reservation there. Even without the marvel contract that won’t be broken (though I can see it more now than before)…Disney has a lot to use for parks. More than Comcast.
Perhaps but Universal certainly knows how to treat & use their IPs better than Disney does now. All Disney seems to do now is ruin/fumble or poorly implement their pre-existing IP rather than continue, maintain, or use it tastefully/correctly. All that considered, Universal is still the better one atm. Not just for that reason, but guest value, maintenance, etc. aswell. They show they truly value their creative teams, audience & guests. Not so much Disney atm.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

Perhaps but Universal certainly knows how to treat & use their IPs better than Disney does now. All Disney seems to do now is ruin/fumble or poorly implement their pre-existing IP rather than continue, maintain, or use it tastefully/correctly. All that considered, Universal is still the better one atm. Not just for that reason, but guest value, maintenance, etc. aswell. They show they truly value their audience & guests. Not so much Disney atm.

Yeah if WDW continues in its current trajectory and all four gates become 'ride the movies' parks, then they'll just be the worse version of that concept in Orlando lol. Right now the difference between Universal and Disney is that the Disney parks have 'themes' and depth whereas the Universal parks don't, but the Uni parks are properly invested in and maintained. Something WDW very sadly is not. In 2025 my trip is already gonna be one day at EU, one day at IOA, one day at DAK and one day at EPCOT. I may do a park hopper between DHS and MK for TOT and HEA but possibly not, we'll see how bitter I am by then (lol....not joking ahaha). If they fix up USF then I may do three days Uni, one day DAK in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom