News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

JD80

There’s some, but not the same amount as WED/WDI in the past, that’s for sure. To put it in another perspective. Imagine if the animation studio could ‘only’ make sequels and no new original films going forward. Sure you can use creativity to come up with ways to continue the story and add more development to the characters? But does it allow for new, popular characters and stories to spring up and bring in new up and coming talent & ways to bring in profit? No, it doesn’t

SOME??

lol - engineering is easy

JD80

Hence why we’re arguing for balance and not a narrow/one way mindset that’s gonna eventually land to resources to use being dried up and profits falling.. which is what we’re beginning to see happen right now as we speak..

Disney's profits in 2022 were the highest ever I think?

JD80

lol - developing new animation & technology/techniques is easy.

Uh oh, see the problematic thinking here?
Yeah, SOME… same applies to every sector of the company.

I never said anything about the creative requirements developing new IP at any of the studios. It's incredibly difficult. You're the one diminishing the creative requirements for designing rides and attractions that are based off existing IP.

Inspired Figment

I never said anything about the creative requirements developing new IP at any of the studios. It's incredibly difficult. You're the one diminishing the creative requirements for designing rides and attractions that are based off existing IP.
Except you did. You argued why original IP isn’t valid/worth investing in and how only familiarity/pre-existing IP is worth investing in. So what you’re also saying is you’d prefer and be perfectly fine with just getting sequels and remakes by the film & tv studios going forward rather than anything new in the future? Truth be told, That’s the argument you’re making for theme parks. Variety (‘both’ original new concepts & familiar film/tv IP is the best solution), not only one direction (that being ‘only’ familiar tv/film IP tie in attractions in this case.)

flynnibus

Premium Member
But the reasons for which I believe the IP mandate stifles creativity still stand. All rides having to be based on movie franchises prevents the parks from standing on their own and having their own identities. Furthermore, it compromises the parks' core themes in order to fit in whatever IP is popular at the moment. instead of doing what creatively works (which may or may not be based on IP) they're just trying to capture the hype of whatever Disney 'brand' is popular at the moment.
Look at Toyko ... They buy what they WANT to buy, not what the CFO 'mandates'. What are they adding? Franchises.

They are also an example of how WDI wasn't 'banned' from coming up with original concepts (TDS TOT).

As for hype.. you can't please everyone. For every time someone says its just 'whatever is popular' people compare and complain about how long it took before XYZ film got an attraction :)

Inspired Figment

Look at Toyko ... They buy what they WANT to buy, not what the CFO 'mandates'. What are they adding? Franchises.

They are also an example of how WDI wasn't 'banned' from coming up with original concepts (TDS TOT).

As for hype.. you can't please everyone. For every time someone says its just 'whatever is popular' people compare and complain about how long it took before XYZ film got an attraction :)
Then they’re making the very same mistake and I’m not giving them any passes for it. The one thing Tokyo has going for them though is that maintenance standards are upheld and they have a good work/CM culture there that holds true to the standards Disney here in the states once had.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Another thing you have to consider is Tokyo doesn’t have really their own team of Imagineers operated at their own company, OLC. It’s all sourced from the US company’s WDI.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Another thing you have to consider is Tokyo doesn’t have really their own team of Imagineers operated at their own company, OLC. It’s all sourced from the US company’s WDI.
Doesn't change who makes the decision on what they buy. WDI is the design team, but OLC is the customer who decides what they want or will buy.

Which is why WDI often pitches the best stuff to OLC because of their history of willingness to invest and/or be bold.

The fact they use WDI is the whole reason I referenced OLC... because it disproves the 'banned' commentary from before. If it were banned, WDI wouldn't have anything to pitch to OLC :)

Inspired Figment

Doesn't change who makes the decision on what they buy. WDI is the design team, but OLC is the customer who decides what they want or will buy.

Which is why WDI often pitches the best stuff to OLC because of their history of willingness to invest and/or be bold.
Who’s making the pitches though, what’s the culture cultivated at WDI like?? That’s a bigger part of the problem than you may realize.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

I really like this Tokyo example, I never would’ve thought to compare this.

Franchises & “IP” can be timeless, and most are, especially when they’re engrained in Disney Parks history. Peter Pans Flight opened for the first time over 60 years ago, and remains a hallmark at all castle parks, while it has seen a few changes.

Tokyo Disneysea is currently building a massive expansion, themed to Tangled, Peter Pan & Frozen. They chose to build this, and WDI designed it for them. Disneys “IP mandate” doesn’t apply to Tokyo, they build what they want.

Inspired Figment

I really like this Tokyo example, I never would’ve thought to compare this.

Franchises & “IP” can be timeless, and most are, especially when they’re engrained in Disney Parks history. Peter Pans Flight opened for the first time over 60 years ago, and remains a hallmark at all castle parks, while it has seen a few changes.

Tokyo Disneysea is currently building a massive expansion, themed to Tangled, Peter Pan & Frozen. They chose to build this, and WDI designed it for them. Disneys “IP mandate” doesn’t apply to Tokyo, they build what they want.
Then OLC’s got the same problem at Disney here in the US in regards to the Imagineering part of it in having a balance of original & familiar content, and I’m giving them no passes for it. Real bummer too as that hampers WDI’s creative potential & abilities for the parks there aswell.

MagicHappens1971

Then OLC’s got the same problem at Disney here in the US in regards to the Imagineering part of it, and I’m giving them no passes for it. Real bummer too as that hamper’s WDI’s abilities for the parks there aswell.
That’s your belief. From what it sounds like, the new attractions there will be very unique, and I don’t see the problem there.

I don’t think you can use what many have called the “worlds best theme park”, Tokyo Disneysea, as an example of the WDIs “hampered abilities”.

I’m over this IP fight because it feels like we’re going around in circles. IP can be done right, and the creatives at WDI can come up with any unique and creative concept to fit an IP, budget and other constraints may have hindered their ability. For example, Frozen Ever After is a horrible IP infused attraction, it looks cheap, the show scenes are barren and there’s really no story. They’re now building a unique Wandering Oakens coaster at HKDL. Another example would be Voyage of the Little Mermaid, a truly terrible attraction based off of a beloved “IP”.

Inspired Figment

That’s your belief. From what it sounds like, the new attractions there will be very unique, and I don’t see the problem there.

I don’t think you can use what many have called the “worlds best theme park”, Tokyo Disneysea, as an example of the WDIs “hampered abilities”.

I’m over this IP fight because it feels like we’re going around in circles. IP can be done right, and the creatives at WDI can come up with any unique and creative concept to fit an IP, budget and other constraints may have hindered their ability. For example, Frozen Ever After is a horrible IP infused attraction, it looks cheap, the show scenes are barren and there’s really no story. They’re now building a unique Wandering Oakens coaster at HKDL. Another example would be Voyage of the Little Mermaid, a truly terrible attraction based off of a beloved “IP”.
So if say, a film distributor in Tokyo only ordered for Disney to make sequels and remakes for characters, stories, properties they’ve already made, that doesn’t hamper their creative abilities to ways to innovate in any way, shape or form?

MagicHappens1971

To make the assumption that ‘only’ new film IPs can be considered timeless and not original theme park IPs simply isn’t true/false.
If you’re saying that’s what I said, it’s not. It’s just logical for Disney to make sure bets when spending 100s of millions on theme park expansions. For example, they could’ve came up with a new story for the new Splash Mountain, but they know people will flock to it because “Tiana”, amongst other reasons is why they chose that.

Maelstrom (in my previous example), was dated and needed an update, instead of coming up with an original idea, they created the not so great attraction FEA, which is an example of how shoving an IP in, doesn’t always work. That attraction is still immensely popular, because “Frozen”.

While I can understand that some may feel this is “watering down” the park experience, I think the few outliers like FEA and VOTLM shouldn’t poison us from IP.

The other reason this argument is somewhat pointless, is because we know this is the future of the Disney Parks. I know that some may feel this is a mistake, I don’t, and I’m entitled to that opinion, as much as you are.

I think highlighting that Tokyo (who fully chooses what gets designed & built, with no input from Disney) is a super important part of this discussion. Tokyo Disneysea is heralded as such a unique and fantastic park, that has several of their own original attractions, they are now “infusing IPs”, into Fantasy Springs.

MagicHappens1971

So if say, a film distributor in Tokyo only ordered for Disney to make sequels and remakes for characters, stories, properties they’ve already made, that doesn’t hamper their creative abilities to ways to innovate in any way, shape or form?
A film? Yeah. A theme park attraction? No. Thee possibilities for a theme park attraction are endless, I think we will see in the future (when Fantasy Springs opens) that it’ll probably be one of the best examples of IPs in the parks. Disney has built truly amazing lands based on IP, Cars Land & Pandora come to mind.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom