News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Not Animaniacs, Animaniacs actually had some heart & depth and wasn’t constantly making a point to gross you out or be a psychotic as possible.
Animaniacs is smarmy and too smug for its own good. It constantly references things as if it's telling the audience "Hey, you know this thing? Well go watch it instead of our dreck!". Said references also dated the show by about 30 years, it's like a 90s time capsule and not in a good way.

Minnesota disney fan

Joe Rohde just posted this today... I think it's actually super relevant to our discussion on IP in the parks vs original lands and attractions. Definitely give it a read if you can.

Right On!!! Joe Rohde did a fantastic job with AK. This is our favorite park in all of disney because of just what Joe said. The creativity and immersion is nonstop. I'm so glad he got to influence AK to make it what it is today. I hope disney doesn't try to put another IP attraction in that doesn't fit at all just because they can. WDW misses Joe Rohde's visionary influence, IMO.

BlakeW39

Right On!!! Joe Rohde did a fantastic job with AK. This is our favorite park in all of disney because of just what Joe said. The creativity and immersion is nonstop. I'm so glad he got to influence AK to make it what it is today. I hope disney doesn't try to put another IP attraction in that doesn't fit at all just because they can. WDW misses Joe Rohde's visionary influence, IMO.

Same— DAK is an incredible park, it's thematically rich, detailed, and varied in its entertainment and and environments, both of which are very high quality. I do fear for the park in Joe's absence though because as you said, it's very very likely that IP lands get built in DAK which don't fit with the rest of the park. And without Joe guiding the park's design, I don't think we'll get another Pandora, let alone a Harambe or an Anandapur.

Anyways. In his post Joe said something interesting that can be applied to TWDC and IP. If left unrestrained, a corporation will exploit a valuable thing until there is no value left in it. This is something I have been saying for a very long time. Watch it play out. It's really already happening. Disney is going to exploit its super popular IPs until no one cares anymore. All their franchises are gonna be drained of value and then they'll start having to come up with new ideas again. So perhaps there are only two ways the IP mandate is appealed...either Disney's IPs lose consumer interest (i.e. are finally drained of all their value). Or someone steps in and stops Disney from further overexploiting IP, i.e. a change in leadership, which I wouldn't anticipate until things get a little worse for the company.

Last edited:

JD80

There are many different things that make a great attraction. The main three are the vehicle and track (dark ride, thrill ride, whatever) and the story. What you're moving in, how you're moving around and why you're moving around. For example:

Flight of Passage:
  • What: Riding a banshee, feeling the wind, the banshee breathing under you etc.
  • How: 3D glasses, screen and the giant flight mechanism that moves you.
  • Why: Having fun, running from a big banshee.
For all the great attractions in WDW you can usually answer each question is a positive light. When @Jrb1979 says "It's cause lately they haven't that good." is completely wrong, at least two the vast majority of park goers. I know he's been trashing the World for a long time so I'm not sure when he last forked over too much money to be in the parks, but here's what come to the park since FoP:

• Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway
  • Ratatouille
  • Tron
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
Each of these attractions has been a smash hit. If JRB wants to say GoG is not good, well ok. I've never seen people laughing and dancing in their seats while being on a thrill ride before.

Now this whole question of IP is comical. There are people here bemoaning that WDI doesn't get to create characters for their rides. Isn't that what we're arguing about here? The lack of original characters in the parks? Does it really matter where the character was thought up? For each of the rides listed above, are any diminished because it's a talking rat and not a talking elephant? Do you think Rise would have been better if it wasn't Storm Troopers but random space soldier 5 in blue armor?

The answer is no, none of them are diminished. Many of them are elevated. For those who love Star Wars - how many people have raved about being immersed in a setting that they only dreamed about being in (except for those with $6000 to spare). The difference is having fun and being in awe.

What's the difference between Imagineers inventing Remy, then after the ride is successful they create a feature length film out of it and the opposite? As you're on an attraction are you really anguishing over which division of TWDC thought about a cooking rat first?

To stick with Remy's as an example, do you think the creativity of the ride just stopped at "rat that can cook"? Engineers had to create the track system, the rooms, screen integration, elevations, sight lines, art for the queue, integration within each of the lands it's in. They had to tell a story within a certain time. They were given characters and their backgrounds and a setting. The rest was up to them to create a fun attractions.

This whole argument is senseless. Post is already too long, so I'll leave it at that.

matt9112

The argument basically boils down to people screeching "Disney shouldn't build things that people know and like, they should build things that nobody has ever heard of."

You mean so when you visit the most magical place on earth you see things you have never seen before? Explore things you didn’t know existed…. Almost like the parks themselves could be…. An IP. That’s what seems insane to be is how many people don’t think the parks can stand on there own creative juices. It’s really a ratio problem….. MOVIE based IP is a necessary piece of the pie. But so isn’t legitimately anything else.

Wow what a concept.

Also nice job dialing in the legal definition of IP side skirting the common belief that MOVIE based things are invading the parks.

JD80

You mean so when you visit the most magical place on earth you see things you have never seen before? Explore things you didn’t know existed…. Almost like the parks themselves could be…. An IP. That’s what seems insane to be is how many people don’t think the parks can stand on there own creative juices. It’s really a ratio problem….. MOVIE based IP is a necessary piece of the pie. But so isn’t legitimately anything else.

Wow what a concept.

Also nice job dialing in the legal definition of IP side skirting the common belief that MOVIE based things are invading the parks.

So you have a park that is 50%? 70%? popular IP - princesses, MCU, Star Wars, Fab5 whatever - and the rest "original IP". Where do you think the longest lines will be?

You talk about a ratio, what is that ratio?

erasure fan1

The argument basically boils down to people screeching "Disney shouldn't build things that people know and like, they should build things that nobody has ever heard of."
I think this is an oversimplification of the argument. I've said it before, the vast majority don't believe that Disney "should only build things nobody has ever heard of." Building things that people know and like, is an integral part of the experience. People expect to see their favorite character represented in the parks. But there's nothing wrong with original ideas that aren't tied to an existing movie franchise. Let imagineering use all the tools in the toolbox. If a movie tie in makes the most sense, great. If the attraction is better suited as an original concept, great. Do what's going to create the best attraction, not use a franchise as a crutch. That's what most are arguing for in my opinion.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

There are many different things that make a great attraction. The main three are the vehicle and track (dark ride, thrill ride, whatever) and the story. What you're moving in, how you're moving around and why you're moving around. For example:

Flight of Passage:
  • What: Riding a banshee, feeling the wind, the banshee breathing under you etc.
For all the great attractions in WDW you can usually answer each question is a positive light. When @Jrb1979 says "It's cause lately they haven't that good." is completely wrong, at least two the vast majority of park goers. I know he's been trashing the World for a long time so I'm not sure when he last forked over too much money to be in the parks, but here's what come to the park since FoP:

• Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Ratatouille
  • Tron
Each of these attractions has been a smash hit. If JRB wants to say GoG is not good, well ok. I've never seen people laughing and dancing in their seats while being on a thrill ride before.

Now this whole question of IP is comical. There are people here bemoaning that WDI doesn't get to create characters for their rides. Isn't that what we're arguing about here? The lack of original characters in the parks? Does it really matter where the character was thought up? For each of the rides listed above, are any diminished because it's a talking rat and not a talking elephant? Do you think Rise would have been better if it wasn't Storm Troopers but random space soldier 5 in blue armor?

The answer is no, none of them are diminished. Many of them are elevated. For those who love Star Wars - how many people have raved about being immersed in a setting that they only dreamed about being in (except for those with $6000 to spare). The difference is having fun and being in awe.

What's the difference between Imagineers inventing Remy, then after the ride is successful they create a feature length film out of it and the opposite? As you're on an attraction are you really anguishing over which division of TWDC thought about a cooking rat first?

To stick with Remy's as an example, do you think the creativity of the ride just stopped at "rat that can cook"? Engineers had to create the track system, the rooms, screen integration, elevations, sight lines, art for the queue, integration within each of the lands it's in. They had to tell a story within a certain time. They were given characters and their backgrounds and a setting. The rest was up to them to create a fun attractions.

This whole argument is senseless. Post is already too long, so I'll leave it at that.

not this again...

do I need to cite you the definition of creativity again or do you have access to google?

yes, TWDC not allowing attractions based on original ideas is ANTI-CREATIVE. definitionally. because it prevents the creation of novel IP. this isn't my opinion, it's a fact. something most people should be able to figure out for themselves a priori.

shoving popular movies in every nook and cranny of the parks is the exact reason the parks are losing their thematic cores.....and for what? it's short term thinking. doing what's popular now instead of doing what's good for the company long term.

FACT: all the truly classic, enduring WDW staples have been original attractions, except for TWO. and those two, Splash and TOT, basically ignore the IPs they're based on and have assumed their own identities? why is that?

it's really simple. but I'll let you answer that.

EDIT: Splash is out so we're down to one... ;)

Last edited:

BlakeW39

So you have a park that is 50%? 70%? popular IP - princesses, MCU, Star Wars, Fab5 whatever - and the rest "original IP". Where do you think the longest lines will be?

You talk about a ratio, what is that ratio?

I don't know..... what has a longer line today? Living with the Land or Captain EO? oh wait. Well, Figment or Honey I Shrunk the Kids? Which one sells merch in the parks TO THIS DAY? hmmm? exactly. All this pop culture IP is popular now, but in 40 years? we'll see.

JD80

I think this is an oversimplification of the argument. I've said it before, the vast majority don't believe that Disney "should only build things nobody has ever heard of." Building things that people know and like, is an integral part of the experience. People expect to see their favorite character represented in the parks. But there's nothing wrong original ideas that aren't tied to an existing movie franchise. Let imagineering use all the tools in the toolbox. If a movie tie in makes the most sense, great. If the attraction is better suited as an original concept, great. Do what's going to create the best attraction, not use a franchise as a crutch. That's what most are arguing for in my opinion.

Let me ask you this then. Assuming a popular IP, in what instance does not using this IP make a ride better than not using it?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Flight of Passage:

• Slinky Dog Dash
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
  • Rise of the Resistance
  • Ratatouille
  • Tron

You don’t need to “prove” your thoughts…you’ve made it clear.

There are two sides to every legitimate opinion. The truth falls in the middle

JD80

not this again...

do I need to cite you the definition of creativity again or do you have access to google?

yes, TWDC not allowing attractions based on original ideas is ANTI-CREATIVE. definitionally. because it prevents the creation of novel IP. this isn't my opinion, it's a fact. something most people should be able to figure out for themselves a priori.

shoving popular movies in every nook and cranny of the parks is the exact reason the parks are losing their thematic cores.....and for what? it's short term thinking. doing what's popular now instead of doing what's good for the company long term.

FACT: all the truly classic, enduring WDW staples have been original attractions, except for TWO. and those two, Splash and TOT, basically ignore the IPs they're based on and have assumed their own identities? why is that?

it's really simple. but I'll let you answer that.

This whole post is mostly wrong.

I love how you use derogatory words like "shoving" in this context. God forbid Disney fill their parks with their most beloved stories and characters that everyone has either grown up with or recently fallen in love with. I know my kids are chomping at the bit to see the new Willy the Walrus ride. They totally would not love to see Bluey or Gravity Falls or maybe my 8 year old son going on an adventure with Luca.

Nope, it's all about Willy the Walrus. Totally not an attraction based on the shows they spent 100+ hours watching over the last year or so.

BlakeW39

This whole post is mostly wrong.

I love how you use derogatory words like "shoving" in this context. God forbid Disney fill their parks with their most beloved stories and characters that everyone has either grown up with or recently fallen in love with. I know my kids are chomping at the bit to see the new Willy the Walrus ride. They totally would not love to see Bluey or Gravity Falls or maybe my 8 year old son going on an adventure with Luca.

Nope, it's all about Willy the Walrus. Totally not an attraction based on the shows they spent 100+ hours watching over the last year or so.

And now you have given your strawman a name. "Willy the Walrus."

🙄 okay.

JD80

Pirates of the Carribean. next question

Hate to break it to you but it's not 1971.

Currently right now you have to make an argument for making some original IP attractions instead of investing in the following IP at WDW:
  • Wreck-it-Ralph
  • Zootopia
  • Moana
  • Coco
  • Brave
  • Big Hero 6
  • Inside Out
  • Cars
  • Tangled
  • Mary Poppins
  • Incredibles
  • Encanto
  • Luca
  • Raya
  • Cruella
  • Soul
  • Mulan
  • Maleficent
  • Aladdin (well it has a spinner)
  • Beauty and the Beast (if you don't count shows and just count attractions)
  • Cinderella
  • Monsters Univ (If you don't count Laugh Floor)
These are just movies from the last decade (Monsters Univ being 2013) that don't have rides at the park. That's just movies, I didn't even add any cartoons that would be incredibly popular too.

You have to make an argument that an original IP that would only exist as an attraction would be a better idea than using any of those characters from those stories that are well established in pop culture. If you're TWDC what are you investing $100M in?

JD80

And now you have given your strawman a name. "Willy the Walrus."

🙄 okay.

And you're just here saying "original IP"! like that has any meaning. My kids would love to experience Moana at the parks. Your thought is to ask WDI to invent something untested and put it in the parks hoping my kids will like it.

What is the better route?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom