News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

Inspired Figment

I agree with you that these attractions (along with characters such as Figment and the Country Bears) became IPs the moment they were created, but this doesn't undermine what those opposed to the use of preexisting IPs are saying. On the contrary, it supports their argument that original ideas developed for the parks take on a life and significance of their own, greatly contributing to what makes WDW (and the other Disney resorts) special and distinctive.

I personally think of these "park IPs" (if I can call them that) as foundational, by which I mean they are essential to the parks but also sufficiently present as a sort of underpinning that the addition of preexisting IPs is not in itself detrimental. For my part, I enjoy seeing the films and characters I love brought to life, but then I've always been clear about the fact that I'm more of a Disney person than I am a theme-park person.
Again, it’s less that people are completely against pre-existing film & tv characters, stories & IPs in the parks and moreso that the balance of both park originals and pre-existing from film & tv is being lost in degrees for ‘strictly’ film & tv IP based attractions. Which is a big problem for a lot of people (myself included). For me & so many others, it’s ‘all’ Disney, so why erase the variety that makes the company & parks all the more special & unique from the competition in regards to entertainment offerings.

BlakeW39

Haven't multiple insiders said that the use of pre-existing (and popular) IP is a requirement to have any new project approved?

That would mean that while people could develop other ideas, it would be a waste of their time if they know it's DOA.

Yes. I don't say this to be inflammatory and I don't want to start any kind of drawn out fuss, but he is...not arguing in good faith. IP is mandated for any new lands or attractions. That is common knowledge

LittleBuford

Again, it’s less that people are completely against pre-existing film & tv characters, stories & IPs in the parks and moreso that the balance of both park originals and pre-existing from film & tv is being lost for ‘strictly’ film IP. Which is a big problem for a lot of people (myself included). For me, it’s ‘all’ Disney, but why erase the variety that makes it all the more special & unique from the competition.
I'm not sure that the balance is really as different as you think. It would be interesting if someone did a comparison of the Magic Kingdom's opening-day attractions and the lineup today to see if there really has been as big a shift towards IP as people claim.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Haven't multiple insiders said that the use of pre-existing (and popular) IP is a requirement to have any new project approved?

Requirement to get approved is not the same as 'not allowing someone to come up with'. We've crossed over from "This is what the bosses will buy..." to banning ideas. That's the non-sense being spewed.

Jrb1979

But the presence or absence of IP isn't what determines that.
I agree with that. IMO that's the issue that I see with the way they create new attractions. It feels like IP is what they come up with first and try to make an attraction based on that IP. When IMO it should create an amazing attraction first and then try to integrate IP into it.

A good example would be Forbidden Journey at Universal. I'm sure they came up with ride vehicle well before they created HP for it. Thats what I feel is missing with Disney. I look at Universal and how they are creating new ride ideas. When I look at Disney they beat the same ride to death then move on to something new. Right now it's all about trackless rides.

UNCgolf

Requirement to get approved is not the same as 'not allowing someone to come up with'. We've crossed over from "This is what the bosses will buy..." to banning ideas. That's the non-sense being spewed.

Sure, I agree they're not being physically prevented from coming up with other ideas.

As I said, though, it's pointless to spend time on it if you know it has no chance of ever being approved.

BlakeW39

Sure, I agree they're not being physically prevented from coming up with other ideas.

As I said, though, it's pointless to spend time on it if you know it has no chance of ever being approved.

I'd like to personally insert that if you read any of my posts, nowhere did I say WDI was being literally prevented from thinking of new concepts in their brains.. because that would be impossible.? I simply acknowledged they didn't allow new IP to be created, which is the objective truth.

Last edited:

BlakeW39

So this only works if your not hard at work destroying the IP you have right ?

43%? From Rotten Tomatoes of all places?

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trauma

F40C98EF-425F-4CE6-ABBF-997B39510227.png

Even a Disney shill website is now pronouncing the decline of the MCU.

Oops there’s goes another IP!!

BlakeW39

View attachment 717404
Even a Disney shill website is now pronouncing the decline of the MCU.

Oops there’s goes another IP!!

While I disliked the majority of Phase 4, and do believe fatigue with the franchise has definitely set it..... I will say, GOTG 3 was possibly the best film the franchise has ever produced and does make me think there's some potential there. But if they try to screw with the X-Men/FF too much or change those characters as Disney tends to do...I will not see those films 10000%.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom