News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

zombiebbq

The quality of the attraction and the appropriateness of its theming are what matter to me. The IP debate is unnecessarily overwrought in my opinion.
I also agree with this. I think I've summarized my opinion enough but basically my reaction to this is "Shrug. Makes sense from a business perspective. Now show me what you've got". Many things people are wringing their hands over in this thread are long gone anyway. So make your future IP rides good ones, that's what I really care about.

Jenny72

I do think there's a difference between Avatar as source material and Sleeping Beauty. One is a story that was passed around through oral history starting in the 16th century, and is based on even earlier legends. And one was...well...Avatar. I'll be a little surprised if people are still telling the story behind Avatar in 2423.

I think there's a difference between the IP that was used on opening and the IP now. We're all just flooded with flash-in-the-pan shows, movies, and fuss now. If they want to wait 400+ years to make sure the IP is timeless before using it in the park, I'd be ok with that.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You have once again missed the bigger picture.
This is the second time in the last hour you've claimed that to someone.. you might want to slow down.

The thematic design & execution of the attraction absolutely matters and is the main draw.
You mean like where I said?

The issue is keeping things consistent with their intent and EXECUTING WELL - not if it's IP related or not. My .02c.

But that was never strictly because of its Film or TV tie in. Never was, that is the core misunderstanding by the industry & execs right now. If you really think people are pushing for the ride ‘system’ to be the biggest draw, like I said, you’re missing the larger picture here.

You mean like when I said
The center of mass of the market isn't moved by 'wanting to see the latest trackless vehicles' -- it's moved by wanting to visit a place like Carsland... or Hogwarts.

I think you should slow down before claiming others are missing the point when you repeat what they've already said :)

The theme park division was never simply supposed to be a promotional arm to their film studio output. It was extension of the ‘talent’ captivated at the studio as a whole to new entertainment mediums/grounds. Hope that makes sense.

Walt didn't create Disneyland because he thought Marc Davis and others were so talented and needed an outlet. He wanted Disneyland and grabbed people he thought would make his vision into reality.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I do think there's a difference between Avatar as source material and Sleeping Beauty. One is a story that was passed around through oral history starting in the 16th century, and is based on even earlier legends. And one was...well...Avatar. I'll be a little surprised if people are still telling the story behind Avatar in 2423.
You need Eywa.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

Are you joking? The VAST majority of Disneyland opening attractions were based on existing IP.

Casey Jr. Circus Train
King Arthur Carousel
Mad Tea Party
Mark Twain Riverboat
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Enchanted Wish
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Mickey Mouse Club Theater
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mike Fink Keelboats

Versus what, Jungle Cruise and Autopia?
Matterhorn is based on an IP too and Submarine Voyage wasn't an opening day attraction.

Inspired Figment

I was just refuting your exact words. I can understand the "balance of offerings", but again until something changes either in Hollywood, or attendance related to the IP push, nothing is changing.

Disney has used their theme parks as a promotional arm of their film studio since their inception.
Even if you were refuting my ‘exact words’. I said never “strictly” used as a promo arm for the film studio. It was originally focused to be an extension of talent as I stated earlier. So ultimately, Disney management is dilluted as to what ‘actually’ made the parks successful all these years. It was the talent & quality of their studio’s talent which was also involved in theme park design. Not ‘strictly’ IPs or output of said studio. And just because Universal is successful with it, that’s always been their schtick. Wasn’t Disney’s, and Disney used to be the leader in the industry. They just can’t figure out ‘why’ they were. I can tell you this much though, it’s not strictly film IPs. Cause if that were the case, why haven’t Disney’s latest offerings (which are largely film IP based, mind you) all that successful?

Are you joking? The VAST majority of Disneyland opening attractions were based on existing IP.

Casey Jr. Circus Train
King Arthur Carousel
Mad Tea Party
Mark Twain Riverboat
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Enchanted Wish
Storybook Land Canal Boats
Dumbo the Flying Elephant
Mickey Mouse Club Theater
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Mike Fink Keelboats

Versus what, Jungle Cruise and Autopia?
good point, but Jungle Cruise & Autopia were & are Infact still very successful attractions, Jungle Cruise later becoming a successful film ‘after’ the successful ride, but considering, if that very very beginning output was so successful, why then did it only become a bigger success when Walt & his team started plussing to Jungle Cruise and adding / larger variety of offerings like the Tiki Room and other things offered at the NY World’s Fair (Small World, Carousel of Progress, Magic Skyway (which would later have it’s core elements added to the Disneyland Railroad) , Lincoln, etc.) to bring them to Disneyland? Clearly they didn’t stay stuck in their film & tv IP offering phase for that long. That obviously wasn’t the core of what kept people interested or coming. That there is my point as to why they need more balance.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

Walt didn't create Disneyland because he thought Marc Davis and others were so talented and needed an outlet. He wanted Disneyland and grabbed people he thought would make his vision into reality.
No kidding, but then why would he have grabbed Marc to begin with if his contributions to those attractions didn’t matter? Because he saw how his talent complimented his overall vision no? This is why the ‘talent’ (along with overall vision) matters. Walt had a vision. Iger & Chapek simply don’t and have not.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
WWoHP transformed the idea, like you discussed below. And Cars Land opened 2 years after WWoHP anyway... Since then we have seen mass construction of IP lands.

Seems like you edited out where you said 'it was the first big IP land' -- to which I would strongly disagree with. What WWoHP stood out for was it's execution AND it's prioritization of immersion over theme park Ops. The success of HP merch wasn't due to the land's success, but because it opened the door to people to partake. Carsland doesn't have that same theme advantage... no one is dressing up as Lightning McQueen and pretending to be a car :)

Carsland announced in 2007 (ETA: not opened - sorry, confused the announcement.. its been awhile) - but obviously was on the board years before that... all predating WWoHP by a good bit. People today bemoan the 'land tied to a single IP' instead of the classic notion of Fantasyland, etc... but Carsland did it so successfully. WWoHP was entrenched in creating a specific setting... the school and then hogsmeade. The gangbusters both franchises basically ensured would be blockbusters are what empowered the willingness to go in at that kind of scale. Not one attraction for a property, but multiple.

Pandora, Galaxy's Edge, Toy Story Land, Avengers Campus, Super Mario Land, etc

One of my points was that the synergy and merch have existed since the inception of Disney parks, the "IP craze" has breathed new life into it, and created even more $$$ opportunities, especially now with streaming,
I don't see the connection you are trying to draw. I think the biggest change you can attach to the examples you mention is the size of the property being incorporated into the parks. What do things like Star Wars, Marvel, Toy Story, Mario, etc all share? BIG LIST OF CHARACTERS and Settings.

It's not just a single hero and protagonist... but whole slews.. and mountains of source material.

Before, Star Wars was the standout that was that big in the parks - but while a partner, Star Wars was still not part of the family. Obviously that's changed.. and hence we got more than 1 ride and events :)

Inspired Figment

Matterhorn is based on an IP too and Submarine Voyage wasn't an opening day attraction.
Matterhorn & Submarine Voyage were loosely (and I mean loosely) inspired by elements of those films. Not directly tied into them. And on that note, atleast in regards to Matterhorn’s case. Sure seems to be a far more successful attraction being ‘loosely inspired’ by the film rather than directly tied or featuring elements of Third Man on the Mountain, no? I’d again argue, film IP tie-ins were not what made these attractions successful long term or were necessary. (Hence why the mandate is useless and only a self-defeating crutch at this point). thematic Balance & variety of offerings is good, strict focus on film & tv IPs is not.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
No kidding, but then why would he have grabbed Marc to begin with of his contributions to those attractions didn’t matter? Because he saw how his talent complimented his overall vision no? This is why the ‘talent’ (along with overall vision) matters. Walt had a vision. Iger & Chapek simply don’t and have not.
You're not making sense at this point. None of this ties to what you said "The theme park division was never simply supposed to be a promotional arm to their film studio output. It was extension of the ‘talent’ captivated at the studio as a whole to new entertainment mediums/grounds"

Now you're talking about hiring decisions for contributions to attractions... before he's even done the work.

Inspired Figment

You're not making sense at this point. None of this ties to what you said "The theme park division was never simply supposed to be a promotional arm to their film studio output. It was extension of the ‘talent’ captivated at the studio as a whole to new entertainment mediums/grounds"

Now you're talking about hiring decisions for contributions to attractions... before he's even done the work.
What on earth?? How does that not make sense? Of course it does. It relates to how the ‘talent’ behind the theme park attractions was the most important part and not any focus on familiar film & tv IP tied into it.

MagicHappens1971

What on earth?? Of course it does. It relates to how the ‘talent’ was the most important part and not a focus on familiar film & tv IP.
Because you’re making zero sense. Disneyland was built because Walt wanted a places where children of all ages can learn and play together. He hated taking his kids to the those crappy state fairs and such. It wasn’t built to give creatives an outlet, he pulled people from within the company who he trusted to help start up the new division. MaPo, because that’s where the money came from, the film division. It’s all they had at the time.

WDI talent is still important, and they’re not IP people, they’re creatives hired to implement Disneys IP push.

Inspired Figment

Because you’re making zero sense. Disneyland was built because Walt wanted a places where children of all ages can learn and play together. He hated taking his kids to the those crappy state fairs and such. It wasn’t built to give creatives an outlet, he pulled people from within the company who he trusted to help start up the new division. MaPo, because that’s where the money came from, the film division. It’s all they had at the time.

WDI talent is still important, and they’re not IP people, they’re creatives hired to implement Disneys IP push.
Sorry to say, you’re the one not making any sense here. You really think the creativity & talent behind the parks & how that formed everything presented there isn’t at all what contributed to Disneyland’s success besides it being clean & well run?? My argument is why originally the talent, thematic vision, & grander vision for/of the company mattered and should still matter compared to now. My argument was why the current film IP mandate is useless and only stifles the Parks’ creative output. When they should go back to the way they were before in regards to focus on ‘talent’ & ‘creativity/innovation’ rather than strictly film/tv IP tie-ins/familiarity.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

For instance my main complaint with Galaxy's Edge is that there isn't 'enough' Star Wars. The decision to make the land more original to me was a misfire, as I found much of it to be inferior to the IP its based on.
In my opinion it wasn't making the land original that was/is the issue. It's the locking it in the sequels. If we had Vader, Maul, Yoda... It wouldn't be an issue. It took them how many years from announcement to opening to complete? They could have easily gone to black spire in force awakens, rogue one, solo.... Giving people a reason to care. They just mishandled the whole thing.
That's why I feel these rants about IP are meaningless. Just like the rants when people critique attractions because all they only compare them to how it was done before (copycat design) -- instead of evaluating the effectiveness of the approach that was taken.
I'm pretty sure the majority of this site is meaningless. It's a discussion forum. In my opinion actions speak louder than words as they say. Did they say IP mandate? Maybe not that exactly. But what I see is the last original concept for rides in the U.S. parks were Everest in 06, and mission space in 03 I believe. So while they've never said we are never, the actions make it pretty clear they have no intentions of original concepts.
The issue is keeping things consistent with their intent and EXECUTING WELL - not if it's IP related or not. My .02c.
Yes, a well executed ride, ip or not, that fits the theme of the land where it sits is not a real issue. I don't believe anyone thinks any different. People, like myself, just want better balance. It doesn't all have to be ip for the sake of ip.
Under this "mandate" Disney built Rise of the Resistance, one of the most "creative" attractions ever built.
Yes. It's been acknowledged that IP can work and does work. That's not really the problem people have. Rise as it sits, not a problem. If it was built in tomorrow land? Now we have issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom