Disney CEO Bob Iger says there has never been a better time to be a Disney fan

CntrlFlPete

Good points. I wonder if you have some thoughts as to what Disney's motivation is, then, to hold back on AP's? They have the data that we don't. I'm guessing they have some reason for potentially alienating their biggest fans, aside from what Chapek said about the family from Denver or wherever... unless that's the sum of their reasoning.

personally, I think Disney has been waiting to see how the lawsuits play out. Why open up more liability (if they are unsure if the reservation system acting as a secondary blockout feature)?

oh, the family from Denver that visits and finds there is only one day the MK is open past 6PM during their stay so they chose the one full day the MK has for their vacation -- I bet that day is sooo magical!

Lilofan

personally, I think Disney has been waiting to see how the lawsuits play out. Why open up more liability (if they are unsure if the reservation system acting as a secondary blockout feature)?

oh, the family from Denver that visits and finds there is only one day the MK is open past 6PM during their stay so they chose the one full day the MK has for their vacation -- I bet that day is sooo magical!
Was a time when AK was open like banking hours 9am-5pm. We rolled with it then spent the evening at Downtown Disney.

Trauma

Bring back some of the perks like ME and free fast passes and stop the re-imagining of splash mountain and I’ll believe your support for die hard Disney fans
Everything needs to be updated for the “modern generation” who will inevitability find a reason to HATE everything anyways.

celluloid

It is wild that Disney worth is as close as it is to Comcast worth.

If Disney really buys Comcast out of Hulu, than that makes their worth nearly equal.

Last edited:

celluloid

Are you talking about Disney buying the company meant Comcast, or just Comcast' stake in Hulu?

I don't think Disney is going to buy comcast.
I was just pointing out that Disney's worth is 160 billion as a company.

Comcast is 151. Only a nine billion difference.

Comcast's CEO recently said Disney could buy them out of Hulu next year if they wanted to for 9 billion. Just a funny observation.

MrPromey

Was a time when AK was open like banking hours 9am-5pm. We rolled with it then spent the evening at Downtown Disney.
Yeah but AK has like 1/8th the number of attractions and (for the most part) no nighttime show or fireworks so huge difference.

When not crazy crowded, especially pre-Pandora, it would have been fairly easy to do just about eveyrthing from 9-5 (although I remember that one having usually opened at 8, an hour before the others) where as you certainly couldn't say that about the MK.

Lilofan

Yeah but AK has like 1/8th the number of attractions and (for the most part) no nighttime show or fireworks so huge difference.

When not crazy crowded, especially pre-Pandora, it would have been fairly easy to do just about eveyrthing from 9-5 (although I remember that one having usually opened at 8, an hour before the others) where as you certainly couldn't say that about the MK.
One night AK had fireworks and never again. On NYE the guests stood out in the parking lot to view the fireworks. The animals were so scared when the booms happened .

MrPromey

One night AK had fireworks and never again. On NYE the guests stood out in the parking lot to view the fireworks. The animals were so scared when the booms happened .
Which of course is why they don't do them, now.

I think that night was New Years 2000 and I kind of remember that because I had friends who went a little last minute thinking an dining reservation would get them into the MK and that's all that they were able to get into upon arrival.

They told me there were fireworks and that the party was in the lot which seemed really strange but they were happy with it.

Last edited:

cheezbat

All the parks need MORE rides. Like big time. This is the biggest reason why the parks are so crowded. They ‘allegedly’ still cap attendance, but it must be a big number. Both Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios could use about ten rides each, and Epcot could use a few more countries and attractions as well….then, if they keep the numbers capped where they’re at now, the parks would be a MUCH more enjoyable visit.

Minnesota disney fan

All the parks need MORE rides. Like big time. This is the biggest reason why the parks are so crowded. They ‘allegedly’ still cap attendance, but it must be a big number. Both Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios could use about ten rides each, and Epcot could use a few more countries and attractions as well….then, if they keep the numbers capped where they’re at now, the parks would be a MUCH more enjoyable visit.
And they need the attractions they have to actually work! They need to spend some of their millions and fix those iconic disney attractions. Right now they are cheapening out and the attractions are paying for it. It's really sad to me.

Tony the Tigger

Good points. I wonder if you have some thoughts as to what Disney's motivation is, then, to hold back on AP's? They have the data that we don't. I'm guessing they have some reason for potentially alienating their biggest fans, aside from what Chapek said about the family from Denver or wherever... unless that's the sum of their reasoning.

To be honest, I'm really surprised they didn't open it up before Christmas. I'm guessing a lot of folks used the holidays as a good reason for such an investment. Even if they delayed use, they could have sold the passes.

Then again, maybe people just bought single/multi-day tickets instead, which are more profitable.

If I were running Disney, I'd be cautious about selling AP's because they don't seem to be fully up to speed yet. They should have enough trained employees on payroll to spare so they can surge scheduling on busier days. They wouldn't want to open the floodgates and then not have enough CM's to do the job (which seems to be the case already, which means they need more people already.)

Then there's the general money issue. They lost money because of the pandemic (parks and films) their 50 year celebration fizzled as a result, and they're investing in all kinds of new attractions and improvements. As long as AP's are on pause and attendance isn't dropping, then they are presumably banking more per day than when APers were more plentiful.

I suspect it's a combination of both. They're not ready, capacity-wise, and they're enjoying the extra income from day passes - and that income is more crucial right now.

But the bottom line: when your product is in demand, you don't need to discount. AP's are a discount (which then bring more discounts for merch and dining.) None of that is owed to anyone, not even really big fans.

They are doing all of this on a limited basis - with Florida residents. We can buy certain AP's, and we are getting certain discounts now and then - room discounts, ticket discounts, etc. It seems they aren't ready to "go wide" with that yet.

Smiley/OCD

Last I heard hundreds of passengers are sleeping at MCO due to flights not leaving for several days.
Anyone notice that there is a catastrophe like this every few months now, congress calls the airline CEO’s to Washington for a photo op and there’s NEVER any accountability from the airlines…doesn’t matter if it’s Spirit, Jet Blue, United or American…it’s not a budget airlines problem, it’s a airline problem…and on top of that, there’s a jet fuel shortage at MCO…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom