Disney Cancels Cast Members's 20% Dining Discount

JPVonDrake

In order to increase availability for our paying Guests, all Cast discount offers are subject to restrictions, black-out periods, and limitations. This is true for dine, merchandise, room reservations, WDW Tickets and any and all other discounts offered to our Cast.

This is not a new policy, and it is to increase the options for our Guests who don't get the opportunity to enjoy our parks, resorts and other amenities as often as we can. The 2006 dine black-out dates were anounced and posted in the cast portal several months ago, including the Aug/Sept black out period.

In order to increase availability for our paying Guests, all Cast discount offers are subject to restrictions, black-out periods, and limitations. This is true for dine, merchandise, room reservations, WDW Tickets and any and all other discounts offered to our Cast.

This is not a new policy, and it is to increase the options for our Guests who don't get the opportunity to enjoy our parks, resorts and other amenities as often as we can. The 2006 dine black-out dates were anounced and posted in the cast portal several months ago, including the Aug/Sept black out period.

Ah. Well. It doesn't sound so bad when you put it like that. Thanks :)

bhg469

It really is fair to the guests. It makes me feel a little better that disney id making efforts to make their guests feel welcome.

Yen_Sid1

Original Poster

Sorry. I disagree. The reason they are canceling or blocking out those 6 weeks is because they had to give the Dining Plan away for free. Not because it is a busy period like Easter or Christmas. I can understand it during those periods and there are so many restrictions on them already.

Let's see, give away the Disney Dining plan for free but raise ticket prices $4 and get rid of CM discounts during that period.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Getting the dining discount was already at best difficult as many restaurants had time period restrictions, like you had to be seated after 8:30pm (at places that closed at 9pm).

Most folks who really want to eat/drink at WDW get the Disney Dining Experience card and save that way, and it even includes alcoholic beverages.

slappy magoo

I just hope people will know this so they can leave a tip for the CMs.

But isn't this a discount for ALL CMs? Bus drivers, loaders & unloaders, characters & entertainers, janitors & repair, parade float handlers, hotel staff, as well as restaurant workers? How can they all be tipped? Besides, isn't tipping included in the dining plan?

CrashNet

But isn't this a discount for ALL CMs? Bus drivers, loaders & unloaders, characters & entertainers, janitors & repair, parade float handlers, hotel staff, as well as restaurant workers? How can they all be tipped? Besides, isn't tipping included in the dining plan?
Basically, when you use your discount, an 18% gratuitity is added automatically before the 20% is taken, so essentially, you are saving 2%.

This has happened before, and will happen again, so I'm really not the least bit surprised or upset.

Besides, there are other perks far greater than the dining discount that we get throughout the year, some everyday. :)

Kronos

Basically, when you use your discount, an 18% gratuitity is added automatically before the 20% is taken, so essentially, you are saving 2%.

This has happened before, and will happen again, so I'm really not the least bit surprised or upset.

Besides, there are other perks far greater than the dining discount that we get throughout the year, some everyday. :)
Er... no. You're only saving only 2% if you weren't planning on tipping to begin with (and if that's the case: shame on you!).

For example: let's say, for the sake of argument, that your bill comes to $100.00 (cause, well, that makes teh math easy).

Total: $100.00
18% Gratuity (for the sake of argument): $18.00
Revised Total: $118.00

As opposed to:

Total: $100.00
Less 20% CM Discount: $80.00
Plus Gratuity: $18.00 (18% calculated based on pre-discount total)
Revised CM Total: $98.00

This is actually a savings of approximately 17% (as you're spending $98.00 for the meal instead of $118.00 -- and 98 is 83% of 118). Feel free to double-check my numbers if you like.

And for the record (to whoever posted it): the "dining after 8:30" rule only applied on Friday-Sunday evenings (maybe just Fri & Sat). Monday through Thursday has no time restrictions.

MMP

Honestly I don't think us CM's use our dining discount all that much. Because even with our discount it's awfully expensive to eat on property. I only use mine when my family is in town and every once in awhile for a special occasion. So it doesn't hurt my feelings if they suspend it for about a month.

tirian

I wonder if this is not due to "money" but more due to the fact that the dining locations are so crowded they need to find a way to lessen the impact of non-guest dining reservations. Also, are the restrictions for certain locations? I can see a restriction on table service, but it seems overkill for Counter Service locations.

This is completely due to the free dining plan promotion; the restaurants are packed at extremely discounted prices. Disney has lost so much money on this that they'll probably never do it again!

CMs don't get a discount at theme park counter service, but we do get it at hotels.

tirian

Good post! :D

MMP

CM's don't eat in the parks for their regular meals or anything! No one is going to starve! At work we eat backstage and on our own time we actually have kitchens! The dining discount is just one of the many perks Disney offers and it's only a slight inconvienance for us to not recieve it for 6 weeks.

CrashNet

To Kronos' post,

If you want to be techinical...The 18% gratuity is added BEFORE the 20% discount is taken and it is not an option if you decide to use the discount at any table service restaurant.

For example:
Bill: $100
Tax: 7%
Total: $107
Gratuity: $19.26
Total: $126.26
Minus Discount: $25.25
You pay: $101.01

Without the Discount:
You pay: $107 (if you don't tip at all)

Its more than 2%, but for a $100 bill you are only saving $5.99, so it really isn't that much to worry about.

And it may have been that way in the past, but the 8:30 rule applies to everyday of the week, not just Friday - Sunday.

wannab@dis

This is completely due to the free dining plan promotion; the restaurants are packed at extremely discounted prices. Disney has lost so much money on this that they'll probably never do it again!

CMs don't get a discount at theme park counter service, but we do get it at hotels.

To Kronos' post,

If you want to be techinical...The 18% gratuity is added BEFORE the 20% discount is taken and it is not an option if you decide to use the discount at any table service restaurant.

For example:
Total: $107
Gratuity: $19.26
Total: $126.26
Minus Discount: $25.25
You pay: $101.01

Without the Discount:
You pay: $107 (if you don't tip at all)

Its more than 2%, but for a $100 bill you are only saving $5.99, so it really isn't that much to worry about.

And it may have been that way in the past, but the 8:30 rule applies to everyday of the week, not just Friday - Sunday.

It appears it's due more to space than the discount. If a CM is only saving about $6 for a $100 meal, then they will not recoup very much money. *shrug*

quote]

Have they really lost a lot of money from the free dining plan. There are a lot of people on this board alone who have said that they wouldn't be traveling this year if had not been for the free dining plan. These people are paying for rooms, park tickets, and most likely lots of souveniers. I think this is a pretty good way to get people into the parks and spend money at times that generally it is not so busy. Is 20% really all that much for CMs to lose for 6 wks?

bhg469

quote]

Have they really lost a lot of money from the free dining plan. There are a lot of people on this board alone who have said that they wouldn't be traveling this year if had not been for the free dining plan. These people are paying for rooms, park tickets, and most likely lots of souveniers. I think this is a pretty good way to get people into the parks and spend money at times that generally it is not so busy. Is 20% really all that much for CMs to lose for 6 wks?

I know last year the only reason we went was that reason. It was too good of an opportunity to pass up. Unfortunately we could not repeat the trip this year.

Kronos

To Kronos' post,

I think perhaps you mean the gratuity is calculated before the 20% discount. The gratuity is not included in the discount. To use my $100 example, the tip is 18% of $100.00, not $80.00 (I meant $100 including taxes in that example, BTW, but that's irrelevant). You are quite right that the 18% Cast Dining Discount Gratuity is not optional.

Again, that's pretty much what I said. But in the example you gave above, you're comparing apples to oranges; a meal with tip vs. a meal with no tip... and discount or no, you will pay less for your meal if you choose not to tip than if you do... but it's tacky. Still, if you don't mind the dirty looks, go ahead and stiff your server.

As for the time blackout, we're both right... kinda. Here's the relevant portion of the actual policy:

Resort table service locations will have no restrictions when dining Monday – Thursday. When dining Friday, Saturday, or Sunday evening, seating must occur after 8:30 pm, unless otherwise noted.
Dining must occur after 8:30 pm at table service locations in The MAGIC KINGDOM Theme Park.
Dining must occur before 6:00 pm, or after 8:30 pm at Epcot, Disney-MGM Studios, DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM Theme Park, and DOWNTOWN DISNEY table service locations, unless otherwise noted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom