Disney Cancels Cast Members's 20% Dining Discount

CrashNet

Well, a large part of the non-crying comes from the fact that the blackout dates were announced quite some time ago... it's really not a surprise to any of us who actually read the official announcements and newsletters.
Very true. Most of us have known about it for a while. And when I first found out, I didn't really mind anyway. Just read it and moved on.

DisneyCane

Politics aside, it's no secret that wages are not keeping up with inflation, the minimum wage hasn't been increased for far too long[/QUOTE]

I had to reply to this because it made me angry. First off, you can't say "Politics aside" and then make a political argument about minimum wage.

Now, responding to your argument here is a quote taken off of the Department of Labor website:

Minimum wage workers tend to be young. About half of workers earning $5.15 or less were under age 25, and about one-fourth of workers earning at or below the minimum wage were age 16-19. Among employed teenagers, about 9 percent earned $5.15 or less. About 2 percent of workers age 25 and over earned the minimum wage or less. Among those age 65 and over, the proportion was about 3 percent.

Basically, there are extemely few people that are making a living or supporting a family on minimum wage. The only thing increasing minimum wage does is increase expenses for businesses that use part-time high school students for labor. And as a side "benefit" it allows unions to negotiate higher wages because they aren't making as much above minimum wage as they were.

jcc0621

My parents are CM's (Dad at WWS, Mom at WL) and they both often tell me that there are blackout dates. They, and their co-workers don't seem to mind. As previously stated, it's not like they go on property weekly to have dinner. They go mostly when me and my family, or my brothers and their families are there. My mom always says she would work there even without the discounts, becaasue she has such a good time (Note: She just turned 70 in July - Dad is 77)

FRIDAY CAN"T GET HERE FAST ENOUGH!:sohappy: :) :D :D :D

My parents are CM's (Dad at WWS, Mom at WL) and they both often tell me that there are blackout dates. They, and their co-workers don't seem to mind. As previously stated, it's not like they go on property weekly to have dinner. They go mostly when me and my family, or my brothers and their families are there. My mom always says she would work there even without the discounts, becaasue she has such a good time (Note: She just turned 70 in July - Dad is 77)

FRIDAY CAN"T GET HERE FAST ENOUGH!:sohappy: :) :D :D :D

That's awesome!! I see you are from Philly (I lived there for 2 years while I was in school--DH was there for 4)....did they retire to Florida or are you originally from there. I would love to retire to Florida and work for Disney...now I just have to make a plan to convince my husband that would be a good idea......of course we are only 26 so I guess I have a little bit of time to figure out how to do that :p

jcc0621

That's awesome!! I see you are from Philly (I lived there for 2 years while I was in school--DH was there for 4)....did they retire to Florida or are you originally from there. I would love to retire to Florida and work for Disney...now I just have to make a plan to convince my husband that would be a good idea......of course we are only 26 so I guess I have a little bit of time to figure out how to do that :p

Lived here all my life. Grew up in South Philly and now live in Roxborough. My parents moved to FLA after they retired from the school district. I am trying to talk my husband into retiring there too, but he keeps telling me I am out of my mind. I'll convinve him yet :D

Lived here all my life. Grew up in South Philly and now live in Roxborough. My parents moved to FLA after they retired from the school district. I am trying to talk my husband into retiring there too, but he keeps telling me I am out of my mind. I'll convinve him yet :D

I lived in ROxborough too! What a small world! (cue the repetetive song:p )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom