Disney Bus Crash at Epcot

eliza61nyc

Guess what Disney. Wake up call. Get more buses so there are plenty and people don't have to stand. I know no one was seriously injured but still. Stop being cheap.

Wait, there is a car accident and you equate it to being cheap? I'm not following.
Come on guys, are we now to the point where we see conspiracies every where?

How about this, two buses got into an accident. happens only about 200 times every day on American highways and byways.

Hopefully everyone is ok.

ThanksPhoenicians

I know you were being facetious, but this most likely will result in settlements. Even though it seems nobody was seriously injured, I'm sure at least one or two people involved will try to milk as much as they can out of TWDC.
I actually wasn't--I know those settlements are coming. There are more than a few people massaging their necks and readying their complaints of migraines right now.

Goofyernmost

Looked like the lead bus slowed or stopped unexpectedly at the pass through lane by the toll plaza and the following bus was thinking he was going through and didn't stop in time. Following too closely is my guess.
Unfortunately, that is not an acceptable excuse. No one should ever be tailing so close that they don't have time to stop. That is Rule #1 in the CDL handbook. (figure of speech) It's possible that it is mechanical failure, but, it is very unlikely. It maybe a very good bus driver that is trying to entertain his/her passengers while he/she is driving. Multi-tasking while operating a 40 foot, 40,000 lb. bus is never a good idea no matter how much the Guests seem to think it is wonderful. The entertainment is at the parks not in transportation. (if that is what happened, but, it was more then likely a momentary distraction along with following to close) This is the time when all those on-board camera's might save or ruin the driver.

rescue_ranger

Original Poster
Wait, there is a car accident and you equate it to being cheap? I'm not following.
Come on guys, are we now to the point where we see conspiracies every where?

Yeah, I've stopped replying to most threads around here because for a forum for people who love Disney, we seem to have a lot of those who can't wait to criticize every move Disney makes.

raymusiccity

I know you were being facetious, but this most likely will result in settlements. Even though it seems nobody was seriously injured, I'm sure at least one or two people involved will try to milk as much as they can out of TWDC.

Disney's lucky it wasn't a tour group from Chicago. The first 'Standard operating procedure' for the driver after an accident up north, is to close the door to keep everyone from jumping into the bus, holding their necks for whiplash claims!! Not unusual to have 100 injury claims for a bus that holds 75 😱

JoeCamel

Unfortunately, that is not an acceptable excuse. No one should ever be tailing so close that they don't have time to stop. That is Rule #1 in the CDL handbook. (figure of speech) It's possible that it is mechanical failure, but, it is very unlikely. It maybe a very good bus driver that is trying to entertain his/her passengers while he/she is driving. Multi-tasking while operating a 40 foot, 40,000 lb. bus is never a good idea no matter how much the Guests seem to think it is wonderful. The entertainment is at the parks not in transportation. (if that is what happened, but, it was more then likely a momentary distraction along with following to close) This is the time when all those on-board camera's might save or ruin the driver.
Not an excuse - re read the last line of my post.
That is a crime.

StarWarsGirl

Even without serious injuries, there might be some with minor injuries, in which case they very well should go after Disney. Even with a minor hit, there can still be minor injuries that would mean PT is needed at home, probably follow up with primary care doctors, lost wages for doctors appointments and PT, plus a sum of cash for pain and suffering...if you have no damages, then don't sue, but if you have and can prove damages, you should sue. If this were a regular traffic accident at home, you would sue.

A lot of lawsuits are frivolous, but the one driver was ticketed, and for those 15 people who went to the hospital, they should sue. Not for millions of dollars, but they should settle with Disney for damages.

mf1972

you just reminded me of a driver i had last week. we were retuning from epcot & the driver spoke to riders over the intercom. even joking with certain individuals.
as funny & entertaining as he was, i was thinking “shouldn’t he be focusing on the road?”

Goofyernmost

Not an excuse - re read the last line of my post.
That is a crime.
Speaking of reading. I quoted your post because I agreed with it. I never once said that you were offering it as an excuse, I was stating that no matter what reason the driver comes up with (other then verifiable mechanical failure) they are at fault. I expressed the same sentiment you did, that it might be a reason, but, it is no excuse. I am a past bus driver and still hold a CDL. Being in Management the later part of my transportation career, I was called very often to judge if a driver was at fault. And what I was saying is that there might be a gazillion reasons why that could have happened, but, none of them are an excuse. Anytime you run into some thing else, be it at car or another bus (not talking about pedestrians here) you are at fault because for whatever reason you relinquished control of your vehicle. And you will be at fault. Which is why it appears that they did receive a ticket.

Goofyernmost

Thank you for your concern, I was not involved but the ones who were (drivers) are not injured. The guest had minor injuries all were on the same bus. The bus that caused the accident was empty.
Rut, Row... Relroy! That will not be a good thing for the driver at all. So I'm thinking, no obvious distractions and tailgating is the issue. I got through my entire career with no accidents, not even others hitting me. When I got out of the seat for the final time, it seemed like a million tons came off my shoulders. I was constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. I could, to a large degree, control my not running into anyone, but, I had no control over someone running into me. I felt very lucky. I had a fellow driver rear-ended by a logging truck that was traveling at around 35 miles per hour. He claimed that the bus stopped without warning. (right a city bus that makes a lot of stops, whoda thunk it.) It was a 35 foot bus and the truck hit it so hard that it actually buckled the center of the bus driving center of the roof upward. A whole bus load of people went to the hospital with, thankfully, minor injuries. I had nightmares about that kind of stuff. I got my CDL so I could go to Disney and drive after my retirement. The feeling that I got when I stopped driving full time is what made me decide not to pursue it. How long can ones luck continue. I've been driving now for 54 years without being involved in a single accident. Insurance companies should be paying me to carry their insurance. ;):D

Goofyernmost

you just reminded me of a driver i had last week. we were retuning from epcot & the driver spoke to riders over the intercom. even joking with certain individuals.
as funny & entertaining as he was, i was thinking “shouldn’t he be focusing on the road?”
At one time, that was either encouraged or required of the Disney Bus Drivers. Yes, that is a nice touch to entertain the Guest, but, with increased traffic and the apparent fact that other drivers can now get a drivers license out of a box of Cherrio's, it became more and more dangerous. They still do not stop a driver from telling jokes or asking trivia, but, I think it is not much more then an accident waiting to happen. I can't say I didn't enjoy the sometimes quite clever and comical banter that the bus drivers were producing, but, my training always made me jumpy and would have felt much more comfortable if the chatter were kept to a minimum and concentration was on safe driving.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom