"Disney Build It!" Kits Released

Captain Hank

Original Poster
For any fans of both Legos and Disney, the new "Disney Build It!" kits were just released in some WDW merchandise locations. They're Disney attraction-themed construction block sets very similar to Legos (they probably work with Legos as well). Currently, the following are available:

• Cinderella Castle
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Jungle Cruise
  • Splash Mountain
  • Big Thunder Mountain
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
  • Space Mountain
Cinderella Castle, Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain represent the main attraction buildings, while the rest are show scenes from the attractions.

The finished kits are relatively small--6-8" high and roughly the same bottom dimensions as a DVD case. Most of them look pretty cool, though I'm not a huge fan of the Space Mountain one. Each comes with a Lego-ized Disney character in an apporpriate costume. The price for each set is $24.95, though the sets are included in the current 35% off all toys promotion.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Here's a craptastic cellphone pic of the Splash Mountain kit:

SplashLego.jpeg

sweetpee_1993

My family loves to get the big-boy Lego kits and build them together. Most recently we completely the Boeing Dreamliner. I would loooove to see big, challenging sets of different structures around WDW similar to the recent Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower sets. But, hey, even these simpler versions are a step in the right direction.

Thanks for noting the release! I gotta find some! :sohappy:

Missing20K

Here's a craptastic cellphone pic of the Splash Mountain kit:

SplashLego.jpeg

Ehh, not much to speak of if you ask me. Why didn't they use real LEGO? They have a partnership with each other, seems like a no brainer. The only thing I can think of, is that LEGO would make them far too detailed and intricate, which would lead to a high (maybe too high?) price point. What are the prices on these kits?

EDIT: I should read whole posts. Price is $24.95. Got it. Seems pretty reasonable. A LEGO set would almost certainly be more expensive.

They couldn't use lego as the deal does not start until 2010 i think they still have a deal with a company called megablocks which is a poor copy of lego. I would wait for next year and see what lego can do but its a good sign if disney want sets of park rides etc

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I'd rather have them release just some kind of a mold with a bit more detail that could be displayed.

To me, it'd be better to have than lego knock-offs.

Exprcoofto

Wow that looks very weak. :( I was expecting something more advanced... maybe someday we can see that. (Spaceship Earth anyone? ;))

muteki

So from the description, I take it that space mountain is an interior piece? Like the lift hill, launch tube, or something?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
At $25 and geared to the 5+ age range, not bad.

I think a Lego/Disney collaboration on larger scale models of all the same attractions would be like manna from heaven to my Lego-crazed son Morgan, but until then he'd probably find these a bit too basic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom