Disney begins sales of new 5 million dollar 'Four Seasons Private Residences' at Golden Oak

Mouse Trap

I'd be surprised if anyone lives at Golden Oaks full time. Especially at this price point the place just screams vacation home for the ultra rich. Probably how they want to keep it too.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You guys are funny.:D
Who in the heck will buy this? Do rich people really spend their money on Disney homes?:eek:
You would surprised what they spend their money on. One project I did had $800,000 in solid mahogany windows.

I'm wondering if you can rent those homes out short term or if the convents restrict you from doing so?

I know where I live beach front homes go for $3k TO 12k A WEEK. Many of these of these vacation homes are priced on their rental value. Business doesn't revolve around Orlando so I'm not sure who would want to actually live there full time? If there is a private airport near by you could fly in and out. I'm not seeing many people being interested in living there full time so if you can't rent these places out I wouldn't expect them to sell well or have a decent resale value in the future.

HOA fees of $12-20 K are the norm for a private community with a golf course, restaurants, club house etc. Place across the street from me has an HOA fee around $14K I think? Private golf course which is expensive to run but it's a private golf course so better use it if you're paying for it. I don't have the time to golf so I won't be moving there any time soon.

For $5 million or so I would live else where in Orlando, in fact 3 or 4 million will set you up just fine in Orlando. Remember no state income tax.
They can not. The restrictions expressly forbid it.

R W B

If I could afford it id buy a house there. I would definitely have more then a 2 car garage like that house in the article though lol.

How many of these homes will they build? If they cap it to 20-40 I could definitely see them being all sold pretty easily but if they try for a whole subdivision of 75+ then I'm not sure how that will sell.

My friends parents own a 3.5 mil beach house in Destin that they use maybe 5-7 times a year and they don't rent it out at all. Just a vacation house so I can see people treating these the same way.

lazyboy97o

But, didn't Disney try this with Celebration, only to sell out and distance themselves from residential communities?
From the very beginning Disney always planned to get out of Celebration, they just did so sooner than originally planned. Because the land was sold there are limits as to how much power an outside entity can control. The same will eventually have to happen here, but there could be long term management, naming rights, etc. deals that maintain the "at Walt Disney World" illusion.

The New Urbanist origins of Celebration also at least had connections to Ebenezer Howard's Garden City concept that greatly influenced EPCOT. Golden Oak is the complete antithesis of why Disney put so much into acquiring the Florida property.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I could afford it id buy a house there. I would definitely have more then a 2 car garage like that house in the article though lol.

How many of these homes will they build? If they cap it to 20-40 I could definitely see them being all sold pretty easily but if they try for a whole subdivision of 75+ then I'm not sure how that will sell.

My friends parents own a 3.5 mil beach house in Destin that they use maybe 5-7 times a year and they don't rent it out at all. Just a vacation house so I can see people treating these the same way.
They will sell them all, but it will take a number of years. Developments like this get to about 80-90% sold rather quickly, but that last bit seems to take forever since lots often get purchased simply as an investment.

note2001

I have heard most of the residents in that area are mostly international families.
This would make sense to me.
I'd also expect, if permitted (where's the rules book person?), that some companies might build a home to be used for corporate perks. No renting, just a "Hey Joe, you did good bringing in that $15M contract. Take 2 weeks in Disney with the kids before we have you work around the clock again" type deal. (I know of one small company that owns a $3M home in Las Vegas for exactly this reason. Probably many more out there like them.)

Last edited:

Mouse_Trap

If i could afford to live there I would choose to live in a better climate.

Bit subjective, for those who live in far more moderate climates (i.e. cool most of the year around, with plenty of rain) there's a lot worse climates than Flordida.

That said, I'd hate to live in Florida if I had to work - unless possibly in an A/C environment 100% of the time. I don't know how people manage to work certain jobs there. Maybe you acclimatise a bit after a while, but still.
If I was a person of leisure, I'd take it.

R W B

They will sell them all, but it will take a number of years. Developments like this get to about 80-90% sold rather quickly, but that last bit seems to take forever since lots often get purchased simply as an investment.
Do you know how many houses will be built?

danheaton

The prices are ridiculous, and I probably wouldn't buy there even if I have the money (which I don't). However, it's still fun to dream at least. Living that close to the parks sounds amazing in theory. Of course, you're close to a LOT of people.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Do you know how many houses will be built?

The phasing and scope has shrunk since originally planned. It now appears phase one has 147 plots.
This^^^

I think they have more room to expand if they wish, but that will depend on the market. It is also my understanding that the number of lotsrs can vary in developments like this as some can build houses that span multiple lots. One of the first 10k + square foot single family homes I did in my career was built on 2 lots in a similar development

roj2323

Only 5 million? I'll only look if they're at least 10 million. --- strange times we live in.

If they really want to do something they should build housing for cast. Perhaps name it Progress City or give it a catchy acronym like EPCOT.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yes that happens if people want a bigger house or more room in general. Some folks don't like the neighbor right outside their window. That's another problem with all this, it's not downtown in a city so why no land with these houses? At 5 million I would want some more room not postage stamp sized lots. Also some of these folks will have staff and or security with them and those houses don't seem to have a separate place for them. You're not going to have the staff in your main house. You could but they are general in a separate wing or building.
It has always surprised me at how many people that purchase houses of this caliber simply do not care about the amount of property they have. They care about the location only.

My most recent mammoth house was a 25,000 square foot two story on a postage stamp size lot. That lot however is right on the beach in Ponte Vedra.

This will be view they wake up to every morning. That view is what they want and pay for. Not acreage.

IMAG0226.jpg

As to servants quarters, very few houses seem to have them. On occasion I might see a maids quarters or an Au Pair room, but it is quite uncommon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom