News Disney announces strategic restructuring of media and entertainment divisions.

DCLcruiser

What exactly is the problem with this? So they have one person deciding what venue will show a film.

Theatre
Disney+
Hulu

The same content is being produced. They just won't make dinky Disney+ (straight to VHS) movies, they will make MOVIES, and then decide how to distribute. So, we can get award winning capable movies at home or in the theater, depending on the world's current state of the virus/trends.

FigmentFan82

Like record stores and bookshops.
Neither of which offers an exhibition of the product. Newer theaters like Alamo have thrived by offering a better experience for the theater going audience. COVID notwithstanding, the theaters that have upgraded and evolved to the modern movie going market are on the right track. As long as the experience is good, people will go to the movies.

Ldno

When you consider Netflix’s net worth versus Disney’s total net worth, in my opinion is when you start to see the problem.

In one corner Netflix is just all the ultimate streaming giant, Disney just wants to close the gap and that’s the problem the total net worth includes their park operations, which in my opinion tells you how much they have to catch up, so when they say they want to focus on entertainment, they are penny pinching the parks, because they see the obvious sign that streaming is their future and not physical entertainment.

That’s my opinion on how I see it, you can shoot me if you like, but I feel the parks and entertainment experience go hand in hand. I never grew up watching disney movies or shows, i grew up with the parks

the.dreamfinder

Neither of which offers an exhibition of the product. Newer theaters like Alamo have thrived by offering a better experience for the theater going audience. COVID notwithstanding, the theaters that have upgraded and evolved to the modern movie going market are on the right track. As long as the experience is good, people will go to the movies.
Alamo goes where the $$$ is, areas with large populations of professionals. What happens to areas where there is a Regal or a AMC or and independent that permanently shutters because there was no aid package for them and they don’t have the income demos to get new theaters?

tirian

Kareem Daniels while talented is a move in TWDC to improve diversity in the top ranks. Iger's been pushing this initiative.

This post is racist.

Your opinion is flawed and personal attacks are uncalled for.

I did not attack you. I called the content of your post for what it is. Your post was a personal attack on Kareem Daniels, saying that he was promoted because of the color of his skin. It’s possible you didn’t realize that the assumption you made was racist.
Does any of that matter if he’s a Cheap-ek flunky? We can already see the company’s trajectory regardless of how much money it does or doesn’t make.

Even if Disney pulls a rabbit out of Mickey’s hat and suddenly pays off its debt and becomes profitable, the company we grew to love is dead and replaced by a conglomerate. Chapek is promoting a protege. Be prepared to cut nostalgia.

seascape

When you consider Netflix’s net worth versus Disney’s total net worth, in my opinion is when you start to see the problem.

In one corner Netflix is just all the ultimate streaming giant, Disney just wants to close the gap and that’s the problem the total net worth includes their park operations, which in my opinion tells you how much they have to catch up, so when they say they want to focus on entertainment, they are penny pinching the parks, because they see the obvious sign that streaming is their future and not physical entertainment.

That’s my opinion on how I see it, you can shoot me if you like, but I feel the parks and entertainment experience go hand in hand. I never grew up watching disney movies or shows, i grew up with the parks
I will take Disney+, Hulu and Hotstar over Netflix. Netflux right now is bigger in subscribers and revenues but Disney's worldwide streaming will pass Netflix within the next 5 years. Hotstar is and will continue to be the number 1 streaming service in India, the second most populated country and Disney will be be more popular in China than Netflix when that country finally opens up.

tirian

I will take Disney+, Hulu and Hotstar over Netflix. Netflux right now is bigger in subscribers and revenues but Disney's worldwide streaming will pass Netflix within the next 5 years. Hotstar is and will continue to be the number 1 streaming service in India, the second most populated country and Disney will be be more popular in China than Netflix when that country finally opens up.
The same Disney that Chinese audiences don’t know?

Marvel will be popular when that country’s market finally opens.

FigmentFan82

What happens to areas where there is a Regal or a AMC or and independent that permanently shutters because there was no aid package for them and they don’t have the income demos to get new theaters?
I mean, I could speculate about things too. What happens when someone else decides to open up a movie theater in a rural area?

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Think "Amazon Theaters" "Netflix Theaters" All the big studios can now operate theaters if they choose
Perhaps.

I wonder of the big theatre companies would just consider merging with these media companies.

I also still think ma/pop theatres might start popping back up again in rural areas.

the.dreamfinder

I mean, I could speculate about things too. What happens when someone else decides to open up a movie theater in a rural area?
The money isn’t there for someone new to make a profit in the way an existing player can. Again, growth in the exhibition space has been driven in recent decades by high-end venues in high income areas. Affordable options are largely provided by existing venues that have low operating costs. A loan to build or renovate a venue adds to expenses and thus makes their risks to investors/banks higher. You can set up a book store or record shop anywhere, a theater is a much more specialized space.

_caleb

Does any of that matter if he’s a Cheap-ek flunky? We can already see the company’s trajectory regardless of how much money it does or doesn’t make.

Even if Disney pulls a rabbit out of Mickey’s hat and suddenly pays off its debt and becomes profitable, the company we grew to love is dead and replaced by a conglomerate. Chapek is promoting a protege. Be prepared to cut nostalgia.
It is important to call out racist comments no matter who they're about.

Daniel started as an intern and has worked his way up into leadership over the course of 14 years. He's a comic book and movie fan. He was part of the Marvel deal, and the development of Disney+. What evidence do you see that him being in this new role is going to be bad for the company we love?

FigmentFan82

The money isn’t there for someone new to make a profit in the way an existing player can. Again, growth in the exhibition space has been driven in recent decades by high-end venues in high income areas. Affordable options are largely provided by existing venues that have low operating costs. A loan to build or renovate a venue adds to expenses and thus makes their risks to investors/banks higher. You can set up a book store or record shop anywhere, a theater is a much more specialized space.
all fair, but said like a banker. sometimes business people like to try and take risks. maybe they will, maybe they won't

_caleb

Also, the emerging markets for movie theaters is China and the Middle East, with very different requirements and expectations.

_caleb

Perhaps.

I wonder of the big theatre companies would just consider merging with these media companies.

I also still think ma/pop theatres might start popping back up again in rural areas.
If major studios took over theater chains, that would be another direct-to-consumer strategy. The problem is that there is no money in movie theaters.

There's a reason rural areas without movie theaters don't have movie theaters. They aren't viable. Theaters are totally at the mercy of whatever the studios are cranking out. The innovations they've tried in order to bring people in (conversion to digital, surround audio, MoviePass-like programs, 3D, dining services, pre-purchase and seat selection apps, etc.) may have enticed people to come out, but at much higher costs. Outrageously overpriced popcorn and soda don't cut it anymore.

And then, of course, there's the recent attention to theater security and safety (shootings, infectious disease) and the expenses of addressing these.

It's just not possible to make money in the movie theater business anymore.

tl77

Disney+ is the only thing they are making money on "right now", so that's why they are restructuring around it and laying off park employees... There's no way this is going to last forever given the money make on the Parks and Theatrical Movie releases under normal circumstances

Lilofan

I did not attack you. I called the content of your post for what it is. Your post was a personal attack on Kareem Daniels, saying that he was promoted because of the color of his skin. It’s possible you didn’t realize that the assumption you made was racist.
You may not be aware that fact- Iger has openly stated he wants more diversity in his executive team. What Iger says, Chapek does. Take it for what it's worth. Easy to call out the race card without facts.

Last edited:

tirian

It is important to call out racist comments no matter who they're about.

Daniel started as an intern and has worked his way up into leadership over the course of 14 years. He's a comic book and movie fan. He was part of the Marvel deal, and the development of Disney+. What evidence do you see that him being in this new role is going to be bad for the company we love?
Nothing matters to me except whether someone is qualified for a position. :)

I was speaking theoretically. We’ll have to wait to see what reputation he creates for himself.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom