News Disney announces strategic restructuring of media and entertainment divisions.

the.dreamfinder

Disney would probably run movie theaters the same way they ran hockey and baseball teams.
You’re probably right, but one could see Disney being pushed by its talent and $$$ to create high end theaters. Possibly even vertically integrated theaters attached to a high end Disney Store concept with a WDTC travel agency office and such.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Haha no. Lots of mom and pop cinemas will die without federal or industry help. The chains will shed hundreds of screens which will result in screen deserts in non affluent, high population metros.
Mom and pop?!?

It was predicted 6 months ago that regal and AMC aren’t gonna make it.

They can’t operate at reduced capacity...there’s not a lot of money in theaters above the operational costs

Slpy3270

You’re probably right, but one could see Disney being pushed by its talent and $$$ to create high end theaters. Possibly even vertically integrated theaters attached to a high end Disney Store concept with a WDTC travel agency office and such.
If they really want to sweeten the deal, they should also be major venues for ESPN pay-per-views for those who don't have cable or don't want to subscribe to ESPN+ but want to watch the PPV in some form that doesn't involve piracy.

Kinda like the days before cable TV.

Oh, and muh synergy!

SteamboatJoe

Seems like COVID just accelerated what was already looking inevitable. Onward and Mulan were interesting test runs but Soul will be the true barometer of just how successful (and profitable) releasing a major feature on a streaming service is. Factor in studios being able to operate their own theaters and I think we are in for a huge shakeup in the move theater business over the next few years. And honestly, shame on AMC and the like if they didn't see this coming. The writing has been on the wall for a long time.

Bringing everything under one umbrella also makes a lot of sense and probably eliminates many unnecessary redundancies. The big negative with streaming is that it is starting to balkanize as major studios and networks start hoarding content onto their exclusive service which is bad for consumers. No one is going to want to subscribe to more than 2 or 3 streaming services. The service with the broadest offering and appeal is going to have an edge.

I really don't see how this has much of an impact on the parks.

Slpy3270

Bringing everything under one umbrella also makes a lot of sense and probably eliminates many unnecessary redundancies. The big negative with streaming is that it is starting to balkanize as major studios and networks start hoarding content onto their exclusive service which is bad for consumers. No one is going to want to subscribe to more than 2 or 3 streaming services. The service with the broadest offering and appeal is going to have an edge.
Which is why I expect Disney to still sell content to their linear networks or any competitor willing to pay them for it.

I don't expect This Is Us to leave NBC anytime soon, especially if NBCUni is paying Disney big bucks for each renewal. Same with The Simpsons, Bob's Burgers and Family Guy with FOX.

UNCgolf

If studios treated avant-garde independent movies the same way they treat blockbusters I think nobody would be asking the question if movie theaters would survive.

Avant-garde independent films have never really made any money. It's pretty much always been big budget showpiece films that brought in tons of revenue (and Disney animated films in certain periods).

Slpy3270

Avant-garde independent films have never really made any money. It's pretty much always been big budget showpiece films that brought in tons of revenue (and Disney animated films in certain periods).
They still bring in big bucks with home video and pay TV/streaming sales. That's why ViacomCBS bought a big stake in ex-Disney label Miramax (which Disney stopped caring about when Iger came in; in hindsight, big mistake).

UNCgolf

They still bring in big bucks with home video and pay TV/streaming sales. That's why ViacomCBS bought a big stake in ex-Disney label Miramax (which Disney stopped caring about when Iger came in; in hindsight, big mistake).

Yeah, I just meant for theater operators. Not for studios/companies.

SteamboatJoe

That same strategy also gave us John Carter, Cars 2, The Lone Ranger and The Good Dinosaur. It's also the reason DreamWorks Animation isn't an independent studio anymore

Plus, the entire media industry is going down this route, whether you like it or not. The only way I can see it halting is if Netflix gets into serious trouble.
I actually think this route may provide for some better overall content if done properly. Films and shows will no longer need to have mass appeal to entice advertisers and warrant the costs of production and distribution. Material appealing to specific fandoms and niche markets, who can be very reliable consumers if you give them what they want, should be more plentiful going forward. Shows like Mandalorian and the upcoming Wandavision would never have worked under the old model.

SteamboatJoe

Some of the smaller mom and pops are able to run. With less to do, they may be having better years than before. I know the drive in’s in my state are making a killing.
I believe it. Even churches in my area are doing the drive-in movie thing.

Like malls, movie theaters are going to need to evolve. It's going to be about the experience going forward. And I'm not just talking about better food, alcohol, and more comfortable chairs. That is being done already. They are going to need to prove an entertainment experience that people can't just as easily create in their living room and screen content that isn't readily available on a streaming service.

Slpy3270

Interestingly, ABC's O&O TV stations are being placed under Media and Entertainment Distribution as opposed to staying with its parent network at Walt Disney Television.

Given that TV stations are distributors of content, it makes sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom