News Disney announces strategic restructuring of media and entertainment divisions.

dizneycrazy09

I’m not entirely sure how anyone’s “hot take” on this could be negative...? It really doesn’t change anything that’s already been happening (even before COVID). I’m happy that Disney+ is doing well, and we all should be too. If not for the success of it, who knows where the company would have ended up after COVID.

Slpy3270

With this restructuring, Kareem Daniel (the former president of consumer products, games and publishing) will be leading the "new media" division. So I'm hoping he'll see the benefits of direct-to-consumer to games, too!
It's not just a new media division. All of Disney's distribution units, theatrical, TV, home video, digital and streaming, are being consolidated under him.

DisneyDebRob

I'm really sorry for you all who are fans of the big screen. But movie theaters have been struggling for a long time. Disney is certainly NOT "walking away from a huge stream of revenue," they're cutting out the middle man!

I think the content you see on Disney+ (and will see much, much more of in the future) is the result of Disney finally realizing that the world is not one huge audience, but a collection of lots of smaller audiences with more niche interests.

The selection on D+ may not be your cup of tea, but is increasingly tailored to the tastes of specific audiences. Don't worry, they'll eventually get around to making more content targeted at Busy Dads. It's just that in most households, we're the holdouts still watching cable! The big budget blockbusters will be a thing of the past, but the shows are going to be much better!
Agree 100%. Theaters I believe are on the way out. They won’t go away but they will need major blockbusters every months to survive. Disney plus came at the right time and Disney will tailor more content to bring more people in. If it’s not a huge Avenger type EndGame type of movie.. I’ll stay home and watch everything in comfy shorts with the food I want while relaxing.

Slpy3270

Agree 100%. Theaters I believe are on the way out. They won’t go away but they will need major blockbusters every months to survive. Disney plus came at the right time and Disney will tailor more content to bring more people in. If it’s not a huge Avenger type EndGame type of movie.. I’ll stay home and watch everything in comfy shorts with the food I want while relaxing.
If studios treated avant-garde independent movies the same way they treat blockbusters I think nobody would be asking the question if movie theaters would survive.

_caleb

It's not just a new media division. All of Disney's distribution units, theatrical, TV, home video and streaming, are being consolidated under him.
Right- sorry, I was trying to quote the article:

"As part of this reorganization, Disney has promoted Kareem Daniel, the former president of consumer products games and publishing. He will now oversee the new media and entertainment distribution group."

EPCOT-O.G.

That same strategy also gave us John Carter, Cars 2, The Lone Ranger and The Good Dinosaur. It's also the reason DreamWorks Animation isn't an independent studio anymore

Plus, the entire media industry is going down this route, whether you like it or not. The only way I can see it halting is if Netflix gets into serious trouble.
To each their own. I much prefer Avengers and mainline MCU films over Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The economics of streaming only as an outlet only allows for one of those.

Slpy3270

I don't think I'm the only one who notices but this restructuring is very similar to the one WarnerMedia did a couple months ago.

The only major differences are that, in Disney's case, the movie and TV units are still separately operated while the streaming services and distribution units are under one roof (HBO Max is currently an entirely separate division from the rest of WarnerMedia, including the namesake HBO network which is under WarnerMedia Studios & Networks alongside WB, TNT, TBS and TruTV).

_caleb

To each their own. I much prefer Avengers and mainline MCU films over Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The economics of streaming only as an outlet only allows for one of those.
What about the Mandalorian? The Defenders (and stand-alone hero series) on Netflix? Those were obviously low budget, but seemed to hit with fandoms.

_caleb

At this point, would it really be so bad if TWDC didn’t operate the theme parks? I think we have a really good example of a wonderful Disney Resort that isn’t...Oh yes, Tokyo.
I think Tokyo/OLC is exceptional—as in, not something Disney should expect ever again. Cutting out the middle-man in media distribution and going direct-to-consumer is good for media entertainment and for parks. As they’re finding out with the other Asian parks, partnerships can be complicated and risky.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The days of the stars getting 20M+ are gone I think. Hollywood will implode if the stupid movie money dries up.

One can only dream ... which shall be the next king city of glamor and excess? Won't be San Franciso as work from home and taxes have made the workforce flee the state.

the.dreamfinder

The actual press release provides a clearer picture. Media Nets+Studios becomes TWDS, General Entertainment, Sports and Media Distribution.
  • STUDIOS: Messrs. Horn and Bergman will serve as Chairmen, Studios Content, which will focus on creating branded theatrical and episodic content based on the Company’s powerhouse franchises for theatrical exhibition, Disney+ and the Company’s other streaming services. The group will include the content engines of The Walt Disney Studios, including Disney live action and Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures.
  • GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT: Mr. Rice will serve as Chairman, General Entertainment Content, which will focus on creating general entertainment episodic and original long-form content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks. The group will include the content engines of 20th Television, ABC Signature and Touchstone Television; ABC News; Disney Channels; Freeform; FX; and National Geographic.
  • SPORTS: Mr. Pitaro will serve as Chairman, ESPN and Sports Content, which will focus on ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for the cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.

Slpy3270

The actual press release provides a clearer picture. Media Nets+Studios becomes TWDS, General Entertainment, Sports and Media Distribution.
  • STUDIOS: Messrs. Horn and Bergman will serve as Chairmen, Studios Content, which will focus on creating branded theatrical and episodic content based on the Company’s powerhouse franchises for theatrical exhibition, Disney+ and the Company’s other streaming services. The group will include the content engines of The Walt Disney Studios, including Disney live action and Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Lucasfilm, 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures.
  • GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT: Mr. Rice will serve as Chairman, General Entertainment Content, which will focus on creating general entertainment episodic and original long-form content for the Company’s streaming platforms and its cable and broadcast networks. The group will include the content engines of 20th Television, ABC Signature and Touchstone Television; ABC News; Disney Channels; Freeform; FX; and National Geographic.
  • SPORTS: Mr. Pitaro will serve as Chairman, ESPN and Sports Content, which will focus on ESPN’s live sports programming, as well as sports news and original and non-scripted sports-related content, for the cable channels, ESPN+, and ABC.
I'm surprised ABC News isn't in the same unit as Sports. You'd think it'd make sense since Peter Rice doesn't have any real journalistic experience versus Pitaro (plus, WarnerMedia does operate CNN and Turner Sports as one unit).

Also, Media Distribution's basically the same structure as DTCI before Kevin Mayer left. The only real difference is that Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures is now under that umbrella instead of Studios.

TrainsOfDisney

What saddens me is how more and more we as a society have become hermits. I see it all the time even before Covid. Its not just the theatres, its restaurants, bars and live events. More and more would rather stay home then go out to do anything.
Huh? Before Covid hit everywhere I went was packed. Broadway shows, concerts, theme parks (Disney and regional parks like Dollywood) railfan events.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom