Disney and WDW Cast Unions Reach Reopening Agreements

note2001

Seems we have official confirmation that Disney will be taking guest temps in the US.

Temperature checks of guests could become interesting when little johnny is running a fever but mom and dad feel Disney is penalizing their family by telling them he can't come in. Then that poor kid will feel the brunt of anger from his family for years to come, because he was sick.

TeriofTerror

Seems we have official confirmation that Disney will be taking guest temps in the US.

Temperature checks of guests could become interesting when little johnny is running a fever but mom and dad feel Disney is penalizing their family by telling them he can't come in. Then that poor kid will feel the brunt of anger from his family for years to come, because he was sick.
I can attest to this. I was horribly ill at WDW when I was five. It was my only ride ever in an ambulance, actually. Because of this, we missed the luau at the Polynesian. My sister never, ever forgave me.

Animaniac93-98

I suspect you won't be allowed entry into the park if you don't have a mask on. Then I suspect you won't be allowed entry onto a ride unless you put on your mask.

In between those "check points"... probably just gentle reminders. But with enough peer pressure, reminders, almost everyone wearing masks... then the few people who are constantly taking off their masks are the "jerks" endangering everyone else. No different than the person out on the street blowing second hand cigarette smoke on everyone.

People will be allowed to take off their masks to eat, and will probably do so every time they smoke and/or drink water too.

As you say, the check points will likely be queue, shop, restaurant and ride entrances along with security check points.

If you take off your mask while just walking around outside, you may not scolded for it, but you will risk not being able to do much until you put it back on.

Sweet Thing

Just like in Shanghai the mask requirement will likely not prohibit entertainment. Also many performers are covered by other unions and would not be part of this agreement.

That said there are other issues that will likely result in the temporary suspension of most entertainment.

The majority of performers in parades, shows and atmosphere are covered under Teamsters, which is part of this agreement. The only exception are the Equity performers (singers, principal dancers, stuntmen) who are covered under Actors Equity Association.

peter11435

The majority of performers in parades, shows and atmosphere are covered under Teamsters, which is part of this agreement. The only exception are the Equity performers (singers, principal dancers, stuntmen) who are covered under Actors Equity Association.
Correct. That’s why I said “many” and not “all” or “most.”

We already know parades and shows that result in large groups for viewing are unlikely for the foreseeable future. The best chance for live entertainment around the park will be smaller atmosphere acts such as those around world showcase. Which are not covered by this union.

TrainsOfDisney

To clarify, the atmosphere actors like citizens of Main Street, citizens of Hollywood, dapper dans in Florida are equity.

Atmosphere acts like the chefs in France, juggler in Italy are not.

HauntedMansionFLA

Mom and dad probably knew the child was ill before they come to the park. Now with this in place, it will encourage parents not to come and gives them advance warning that they won’t be able to come in. I know most guest think it’s about them.

havoc315

If people can't understand my post, I'll delete it to avoid confusion. I was responding to someone who said that people running around without masks are no different from smokers blowing their poison on people. Yes, second hand smoke is deadly, just like COVID. But COVID is killing far more people, and after much less exposure than second hand smoke. You can die, and infect the rest of your family, from very limited exposure to COVID. Most people who die from second hand smoke do so after years of exposure.

That was actually my point with the comparison:
You don't have a right to blow cigarette smoke on others. Disney (as well as the government) can limit your smoking in public places, force you to limit your smoking to certain areas. Because when you smoke, you're affecting the health of nearby people.
For the exact same logic, people can be required to wear a mask when in public. Because when you go without a mask, you're not just affecting yourself, you are potentially affecting others nearby.

And I have found peer pressure (combined with govt and private policy) has generally kept smokers in line. Occasionally you get a jerk of lights up their smoke right in the middle of a crowded place. But that typically invites lots of dirty looks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom