Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

Nobody really "owns" anything Cameron does. His Avatar stuff will prostituted like Terminator and Titanic which is why I'm surprised Disney would even bother. Avatar as a franchise is fine for AK as far as I'm concerned and I think it'll be a successful addition to the park, but dealing with the licensing/merchandising/distribution of Cameron's IP's is going to bite Disney hard. You can already see it coming to fruition with the traveling "experiences".

bhg469

^ Well to be fair, there really are discussions between Disney and Universal over Marvel Superhero Island, but they don't have anything to do with removing stuff (gotta bring Fox in when discussing "removals").
To my understanding disney is just involved only to object if anything universal builds could tarnish the brand. Otherwise they have no say as long as they're improving on what they have.

^ Correct, but Disney isn't just rolling over. I'm not saying Universal has the obligation or the intention of giving Disney an inch on it, but they're still talking. Fox on the other hand- well I guess there probably won't be any real discussion to add to the sniping between a few executives on the matter.

Tony Perkis

^ Correct, but Disney isn't just rolling over. I'm not saying Universal has the obligation or the intention of giving Disney an inch on it, but they're still talking. Fox on the other hand- well I guess there probably won't be any real discussion to add to the sniping between a few executives on the matter.
You have been corrected a number of times thus far, but apparently you need another dose of being told you're wrong.

Marvel/Disney cannot outright veto a MSHI change or addition just for the sake of blocking Universal growth. Universal has to be acting in ways that could tarnish the brand for Marvel to veto. Otherwise, Disney and Marvel will lose any arbitration hearing on the matter.

Any discussions between Universal and Marvel are directed at the idea of accurately and positively representing the characters and stories, not about whether Universal can legally build new attractions with these characters.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
You have been corrected a number of times thus far, but apparently you need another dose of being told you're wrong.

Marvel/Disney cannot outright veto a MSHI change or addition just for the sake of blocking Universal growth. Universal has to be acting in ways that could tarnish the brand for Marvel to veto. Otherwise, Disney and Marvel will lose any arbitration hearing on the matter.

Any discussions between Universal and Marvel are directed at the idea of accurately and positively representing the characters and stories, not about whether Universal can legally build new attractions with these characters.

He doesn't seem to be saying anything about an outright veto, but Disney could still try to debate certain points even if they have very little legal ground to stand on.

Tony Perkis

He doesn't seem to be saying anything about an outright veto, but Disney could still try to debate certain points even if they have very little legal ground to stand on.
Can Disney actually engage in these discussions legally? I was under the impression they could only talk with Marvel (I know Disney owns Marvel, but Marvel is a seperate entity)..

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Can Disney actually engage in these discussions legally? I was under the impression they could only talk with Marvel (I know Disney owns Marvel, but Marvel is a seperate entity)..

Someone posted here that they could only reveal details to the Marvel division. That is quite possible, but I have not seen anything one way or another or another. Either way, Disney could tell Marvel how they want them to deal with Uni so it comes to the same thing.

Tony Perkis

Someone posted here that they could only reveal details to the Marvel division. That is quite possible, but I have not seen anything one way or another or another. Either way, Disney could tell Marvel how they want them to deal with Uni so it comes to the same thing.
Per the grandfathered contract, I have to imagine there are restrictions based on what Marvel could reveal to Disney. If true.

They're talking, it doesn't mean that those discussions will bear any fruit- but IP lawyers on both sides are obviously doing the diligence as are the executives. Both sides are exploring scenarios that provide the most benefit. It's not as if these sorts of things haven't already reared their head- there's a reason Disney is partnering with Sony on Spiderman.

When did I say Universal didn't have every right to continue and expand Marvel? They have those rights and will continue to do so. That doesn't mean that Disney isn't making an attempt to consolidate that aspect of Marvel back into their control. I'm not saying that it's likely at all, but only a fool would think that there's literally no sentiment at Disney to try and re-acquire those rights. Again, that doesn't mean it has a chance of happening.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Scenario -

Disney writes Uni a big fat check for Marvel attraction rights with agreement existing attractions there eventually change theming to something else down the road

Disney makes DHS the Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar park

Uni takes their big fat check to invest in new attractions, lands, other IP's, water parks, hotels, etc. which will be a win for them as well

... and then I wake up and realize that probably won't ever happen :)

PhotoDave219

At the end of the day, the best how for quality attractions based on Marvel characters is still when in the hands of Universal Creative.

That's the most important detail.

Apples and Oranges.

Whether Universal does anything to MSHI, builds Kong, builds Nintendo, Krustyland or whatever..... DIsney still gets a piece of the action without doing a damn thing.

Its like a mafia don collecting a protection racket. Disney gets their cut.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Apples and Oranges.

Whether Universal does anything to MSHI, builds Kong, builds Nintendo, Krustyland or whatever..... DIsney still gets a piece of the action without doing a damn thing.

Its like a mafia don collecting a protection racket. Disney gets their cut.

which is also why I could see... one day (likely not anytime soon)... both coming to a new agreement

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom