Disney and Universal working on Marvel deal for Florida?

AEfx

How is that wrong?

Almost everything you said here was never part of the initial debate.

I don't know if there are two different people typing for you so that is what the confusion is, or if it's something else, LOL. I'm going by the replies made to me.

In any case, I think it's great - I think they will look awesome together - you don't. I get it. I can't wait to go and have a great time, and you are going to probably go anyway and will be irritated about it. Yay for us!

Mike S

Sorry, I generally skip the armchair imagineering posts that entail long lists.

I was simply going by what Tony was replying to me, and all he has been arguing about is "they aren't the same IP!!!" over and over.
I skip them too, but in this case it gives you the proper context to know what the disagreement is. It's not about Kong being next to JP. It's about TL being used as JP expansion and having Kong in the middle of it, which is where the "not the same IP" argument works. Kong has no business being in Jurassic Park, no matter what jokes Jeff Goldblum makes ;)

AEfx

I skip them too, but in this case it gives you the proper context to know what the disagreement is. It's not about Kong being next to JP. It's about TL being used as JP expansion and having Kong in the middle of it, which is where the "not the same IP" argument works. Kong has no business being in Jurassic Park, no matter what jokes Jeff Goldblum makes ;)

And again - do you really think that Universal has not thought of that?

And has Universal confirmed that indeed is where a JP expansion will go?

Last I heard, rumors were that stuff was going into other parks, but we don't have anything - even a real rumor - much less solid - about more JP in IOA.

In any case, beyond the fact it's just silly to be getting all upset about the "LAZINIESS we are tolerating!" over an unannounced attraction in an unknown expansion slot that may possibly go in what some see as an world-shattering break of illusion (one fantastical beast island in proximity to another fantastical beast island), it just boggles my mind that with all the incredible stuff Universal has done, and continues to do...that this is what would be the issue.

But again, there is so little to complain about with the actual attractions and experiences that Universal continues to pump out at an unprecedented rate, and people so used to finding things to complain about, I guess they go after whatever they can pick apart. It's a good thing I don't go to Universal boards, because I get that folks have had 40+ years to get all in their heads about WDW, but this kind of thing is just absurd. It's like giving someone an amazing, delicious 7-course meal and then complaining about the color of the plates it is served on.

lazyboy97o

And again - do you really think that Universal has not thought of that?

And has Universal confirmed that indeed is where a JP expansion will go?

Last I heard, rumors were that stuff was going into other parks, but we don't have anything - even a real rumor - much less solid - about more JP in IOA.

In any case, beyond the fact it's just silly to be getting all upset about the "LAZINIESS we are tolerating!" over an unannounced attraction in an unknown expansion slot that may possibly go in what some see as an world-shattering break of illusion (one fantastical beast island in proximity to another fantastical beast island), it just boggles my mind that with all the incredible stuff Universal has done, and continues to do...that this is what would be the issue.

But again, there is so little to complain about with the actual attractions and experiences that Universal continues to pump out at an unprecedented rate, and people so used to finding things to complain about, I guess they go after whatever they can pick apart. It's a good thing I don't go to Universal boards, because I get that folks have had 40+ years to get all in their heads about WDW, but this kind of thing is just absurd. It's like giving someone an amazing, delicious 7-course meal and then complaining about the color of the plates it is served on.
There was no criticism of Universal.

bhg469

He is not taking issue with a blending of the lands, just the fan idea of combining the two because of their similar aesthetics.
Kong is supposed to be it's own "land" within a land.. I do not believe it's laziness but more out of necessity. They are adjusting to the popularity of their properties and this is the best way for them to do it while maintaining what they have. Jurassic world was a gamble and they are reactionary for a change. Unlike the park to the west which is reactionary about everything.

Jimmy Thick

Universal could possibly repackage some Marvel attractions ala Minions, Dragon Challange, Hippogriff, Simpsons...And this might not be a huge let down?

So instead of Dr. Dooms Fearfall we could possibly have The Avengers Dynamic Drop? Um yeah, the potential for value engineering based on the past repackaging of products will indeed force me to gait my feet in harmonious flow towards the nearest UO resort entrance.

Jimmy Thick- It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Universal could possibly repackage some Marvel attractions ala Minions, Dragon Challange, Hippogriff, Simpsons...And this might not be a huge let down?

So instead of Dr. Dooms Fearfall we could possibly have The Avengers Dynamic Drop? Um yeah, the potential for value engineering based on the past repackaging of products will indeed force me to gait my feet in harmonious flow towards the nearest UO resort entrance.

More likely they will get rid of Free-fall altogether to free up room for a more significant new ride. Yeah, Uni has done some re-themes, as has Disney, but they are also turning out their share of major new rides.

mahnamahna101

I was just suggesting a much better usage of an area of the park (Toon Lagoon) that will be awkward/out of place after Kong moves in next door, and Marvel takes over the front area.

It would bulldoze 2 to make room for 7-8. So we'd get 5-6 new attractions by removing Dudley/JPRA. Which would then increase IOA's overall capacity and flesh out its attraction lineup (2 Es, 2 Ds, 2 Cs, 2 As/Bs)

JPRA is a huge waste of space - and Dudley is half-baked. Removing both for FJ/Gringotts/Kong-level D/E-tickets makes far more sense than keeping Dudley and upgrading JPRA.

And for those who are against the ruining of 'theme'

Jurassic World (different location in the world than JP) takes over the rest of Toon Lagoon
Kong stays where it is
Jurassic Park keeps its JP identity (not the same location as JW)

Considering JP's backstory for IOA, it's not unreasonable to do the same for JW (a new version was added somewhere else in the world!)

Star Tours II
the new Soarin' (will be marketed as 'brand-new' like Minions/Simpsons)
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Stitch's Great Escape
Journey into YOUR Imagination with Figment
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Tiki Room Under New Management
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Dinosaur (in place of superior Countdown to Extinction)
Gran Fiesta Tour
Frozen Ever After
Honey, I Shrunk the Audience/Captain EO/Magic Journeys
Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Monsters Inc Laugh Floor
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
Princess Fairytale Hall (downgrade from SWSA for those over the age of 5)
Barnstormer Starring the Great Goofini
Iron Man Experience (Star Tours themed to Iron Man)
Marvel E for DCA (rumored to be RnRC themed to Marvel)

Disney definitely doesn't do the same thing ;)

And you should remove Hippogriff/Minion Mayhem from that list. Both significantly improved upon what was there before unlike any of the attractions I've listed above.

Insiders are hinting Doom will be torn down, along with the Carnage Warehouse for a major Avengers E-ticket. Wouldn't put it past Universal to one-up ToT in theming, immersion and thrill with their Doom replacement.

You can't attack Universal's repackaging unless you do the exact same for Disney's mediocre value-engineered replacements, too.
Dr. Doom just needs to go. The ride is kind of weak compared to the rest of UO.

For that matter retheming of old rides isn't what's going on over at UO. Yes a couple did get rethemed but they were minor attractions. Kids Zone is the next up for a rumored remodel, rumor is a complete tear down with new theme. I like the Hulk whether it's the Hulk or named something else. Ride is either good or not. Potter surely isn't valued engineered and Kong doesn't look valued engineered either. I look at Epcot and DHS with the only thing going on is lifeless buildings of past attractions. I would rather have a few rethemes then just looking at a closed attractions. At MK there was a construction wall in Fantasy land for what 15 years???? Maybe longer then that???

Jimmy you seem to be a big fan of Universal Orlando failing to catch up to WDW, non stop building going on. Hotels, new Water Park on site, new E-ticket attractions and the head count going up. Not really a matter of catching up to Disney, just a matter of having another choice in Orlando and UO is certainly doing that.

The smart thing to do would be to bulldoze Doom and Carnage... add an E-ticket and a people-eating C-ticket into that space. Relocate Storm Force to the old carnival games area (enclosed to block out backstage). Then, put in something grand for the Toon Lagoon theater area (a D-ticket family dark ride or a people-eating show would be the smart move)

THPFanatic

Personally, I wouldn't be affected if they tore down Dr. Doom, as I also feel like that ride is very lucklasting, and just feels like a free fall and not an experience. But I would be upset to hear Doctor Do-Right getting tore down for a land in which I couldn't think of anything more creative than they already have. As far as Disney and Universal working on a deal....My first response would be why??? Why would Universal give their biggest competition a huge piece of their contract in order for Disney to come up with millions of new ideas for rides. Finally, as far as the new E-Ticket ride, one upping ToT in just about everything is a huge risk, as I feel the experience and theme of ToT is one of Orlando's best.

djkidkaz

Is it starting?

Beginning September 8, the popular Islands of Adventure ride The Incredible Hulk will shut down until summer 2016, reopening with a new storyline, ride vehicles and overall experience.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

ULPO46

Yes the work on Hulk has been announced.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/incredible-hulk-refurbishment-confirmed.903058/

No, the two companies aren't trading rights....
Give or take not in your lifetime, the contract will eventually expire. These contracts aren't for 999 years or anything of that matter is it? I read through it. I say give it another 20 years and the contract will be reworked. Nothing last for ever in the legal world. Even Guisness some 800 years from now will have to renew it's lease on their brewery. The US DOD will have to renew the lease on shades of green ect. ect. Just not now. Anyone who says this wont happen is being naïve to the fact that Universal and Disney will have to change their agreement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom