Disney and the 5th May

rougio006

Original Poster
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and I really appreciate it.

I have one question :

Did anyone notice that 5 may is an important date for disney ?

Opening of tower of terror : 5 may
Opening of Soarin' in disneyworld : 5 May
New Online Game of Mission: SPACE Thrill Ride Launches May 5
Disneyland 50 year celebration beginningt may 5
Starting on May 5, the Disney’s Magical Express !

Do somenone know why the 5 may is often choose by Disney ?

Thank you and have fun !

ogryn

Also, reverse the digits in 05/05/05 (5th May 2005), and link that with the major celebration going on at all Disney parks starting on that date ;) :wave:

Lots of new stuff is set to open then, cause it is the official launch of this 18 month celebration.

(Welcome to the boards... a Magic Pass Holder already, well done :D :wave: )

Yellow Shoes

It is also Cinco de Mayo.

I wonder if early May is chosen because it gives a new attraction time to get up and running--to get the bugs out--before the summer crowds arrive.

Captain Hank

It's probably a combination of factors, including the 05/05/05 reversed = 50/50/50, time to prepare for the summer rush, the fact that May isn't normally that busy of a time, and also a little bit of breathing room in case something doesn't go as planned. It'll give them the oppertunity to finish/fix any problem areas before the actual anniversary of the park opening.

rougio006

Original Poster
hcwalker16 said:
the fact that May isn't normally that busy of a time, and also a little bit of breathing room in case something doesn't go as planned. It'll give them the oppertunity to finish/fix any problem areas before the actual anniversary of the park opening.

Yes, but why not 1st May ? Or 2 ?

Juste because of the 05/05/05 ?

So all events like are linked with the 05/05/05 ?

Starting on May 5, the Disney’s Magical Express

Tom

Beta Return
rougio006 said:
Yes, but why not 1st May ? Or 2 ?

Juste because of the 05/05/05 ?

So all events like are linked with the 05/05/05 ?

Starting on May 5, the Disney’s Magical Express

They're starting the 50th anniv of DL. That's the 05/05/05 backwards = 50/50/50. Just a neat thing to do - no real meaning.

Slipknot

I thought it opened in July. Is that the day they did soft opening or the opening of one of the other towers??

Captain Hank

The Soarin' opening and the start of Magical Express are both linked directly to the start of the 50th celebration, so all three of those could be thought of as one instance of the 05/05/05 thing. The Mission: Space Race date was probably pretty arbitrary. And the Tower of Terror? I don't know, perhaps an Imagineer's birthday?

colliera

The "other" important date for WDW

While the 50th anniversary actually occurs on July 17th, marketing has "stretched" the "year" long celebration past 12 months ever since the millenium celebration (a.k.a. is it 2000 or 2001? Hey, let's make it cover BOTH New Year's Eves just to be sure!) was so successful.

For Walt Disney World the original opening date of 10/1/1971 or any October 1st was previously the opening date used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom