Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

BuddyThomas

My personal opinion would be at least a month or two after a movie is out on home video.

It shouldn't be hard to adhere to a thread topic. It shouldn't be hard to understand that discussing something like the end of a movie should be spoiler tagged.

Just seems like common sense and common courtesy.
Everyone knows the movie is a prequel. It's right there in the title. Since the original movie was released in the 1970's, anyone who wants to know what happens next already knows.

Wendy Pleakley

Yes, but it could be a catalyst to a wider use and pushing out the little guy who doesn't have that contract leverage. Are the James Earl Joneses and Fords of the world going to stick up for the others? I have no idea, but I'm not betting my house on it. We all know that no studio is going to up and replace everyone with AI. So I think that part we can let go. But most of the other points have some validity. As more well known talent embraces it, how does that trickle down? It's a fair thought exercise I believe.

The other question is, who makes the choice?

Disney/Lucasfilm specifically said they would not use CGI to replace Carrie Fisher in Rise of Skywalker, and seemed to suggest in their statement that it was at least partially out of respect.

At the same time, Peter Cushing's Tarkin was brought back with special effects. I believe his family okayed it, but if someone dies and has not explicitly given permission, does the estate get to do so?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
My personal opinion would be at least a month or two after a movie is out on home video.

It shouldn't be hard to adhere to a thread topic. It shouldn't be hard to understand that discussing something like the end of a movie should be spoiler tagged.

Just seems like common sense and common courtesy.
I've added the spoiler tag a bit ago. But to me its a bit silly in a movie forum when people are freely talking about movies. The whole forum should then be in a spoiler tag, or every post should be then, in my opinion as you're always going to have someone that hasn't seen something. If you come in the forum then you should already know that you may stumble across something that maybe a spoiler so either avoid it or accept it. Just my opinion anyways.

Wendy Pleakley

Everyone knows the movie is a prequel. It's right there in the title. Since the original movie was released in the 1970's, anyone who wants to know what happens next already knows.

I would still err on the side of caution for anyone who might be interested in a movie and is not familiar with any overall story.

My comment is more general regardless, as it's something that has occurred with plenty of movies in this thread that aren't a prequel to a known story.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would still err on the side of caution for anyone who might be interested in a movie and is not familiar with any overall story.

My comment is more general regardless, as it's something that has occurred with plenty of movies in this thread that aren't a prequel to a known story.
I would agree if the movie was just released or was very popular a couple weeks after release. But we're talking about a movie that has been out almost a month and with (sorry to say as I think its good) limited ticket sales now. People cannot expect that everyone else on the internet has to prevent them from seeing "spoilers" just because one has not gotten around to seeing something.

erasure fan1

The funny thing is this whole conversation stemmed from a user suggesting just that
I know. But it keeps getting referred back to. The post I talked about actors wanting it had nothing to do with that sentiment, but it was brought up again as a response. There are interesting things to talk about with the tech. That's what should be the focus.

Wendy Pleakley

I would agree if the movie was just released or was very popular a couple weeks after release. But we're talking about a movie that has been out almost a month and with (sorry to say as I think its good) limited ticket sales now. People cannot expect that everyone else on the internet has to prevent them from seeing "spoilers" just because one has not gotten around to seeing something.

Except this isn't a thread dedicated to general movie discussion, which I would expect to be more spoiler heavy.

General chat about a movie is fine because it can be relevant to public reaction, but plot points beyond the general plot can be labelled as spoilers. It's not like it's hard to do so.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except this isn't a thread dedicated to general movie discussion, which I would expect to be more spoiler heavy.

General chat about a movie is fine because it can be relevant to public reaction, but plot points beyond the general plot can be labelled as spoilers. It's not like it's hard to do so.
Agree to disagree, as I'll never see eye-to-eye on this. As movies in general, especially in terms of the box office, will be discussed in this thread. And as you can see we've now moved to a multi-page discussion on AI and its impact on movies and Hollywood in general. And so there will be times movie plot points are discussed related to the same.

So again I agree with you about a just released movie or a popular movie several weeks from release, but not an almost month old movie that isn't getting much tickets sales now. And so sorry if I or anyone else forgets to label something a spoiler in that context. Again can't expect the whole internet to not post things just because someone cannot go see a movie when released.

But thanks overall for the discussion.

BuddyThomas

We'll just have to agree to disagree. What I posted was a very minor blink and you miss it detail. Earlier, after I first saw the film, I had a question about a major plot point, and I did put that behind a spoiler button. So I do know how to do that when warranted.

Wendy Pleakley

We'll just have to agree to disagree. What I posted was a very minor blink and you miss it detail. Earlier, after I first saw the film, I had a question about a major plot point, and I did put that behind a spoiler button. So I do know how to do that when warranted.

My comments are more about the issue in general, not one specific example, even if it did prompt the topic.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Exactly, and I did the same when replying to you at the time because the movie had just come out. We’re now almost a month removed from that.

brideck

That is not the part that I was raising, though. Instead, it was very much the comment about the part of the ending that retconned things, leaving it open to new sequels (aside from the original trilogy), and in the process revealed the existence of new and important characters from the 3rd act. ETA: I appreciate that the tags are now there.

I would personally wait a minimum of a month before not using spoiler tags, and in a world where (as we've seen discussed in this very thread) more and more people are waiting for the streaming release to see things in the first place, I'd probably wait until some point after that release occurred.

brideck

When I was looking into this First Omen movie, I mistakenly read an article about it and how horrifically gory and disgusting it was in a few nude scenes. It apparently got an NC-17 rating for its horrific gore and nudity content, and they dialed it back ever so slightly to get an R rating.

I've never liked horror movies much, but graphic nudity gore is just a bridge too far for me. I simply won't do it.

Looking for something else in the past and I rediscovered this post... After now having seen it, I would have to guess that the NC-17 was actually for a birthing sequence that went a bridge too far in the original cut.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That is not the part that I was raising, though. Instead, it was very much the comment about the part of the ending that retconned things, leaving it open to new sequels (aside from the original trilogy), and in the process revealed the existence of new and important characters from the 3rd act. ETA: I appreciate that the tags are now there.

I would personally wait a minimum of a month before not using spoiler tags, and in a world where (as we've seen discussed in this very thread) more and more people are waiting for the streaming release to see things in the first place, I'd probably wait until some point after that release occurred.
And I would agree with you about the month time frame, as that is generally what I used overall. But there has to be exceptions to that, such as in this case when a movie is clearly not getting the interest at theaters even if we think it should.
So given that we're 3 weeks out since its release and its not getting much traction at the theaters anymore would make it fairly obvious that any person wanting to see it would have seen it already.

Wendy Pleakley

And I would agree with you about the month time frame, as that is generally what I used overall. But there has to be exceptions to that, such as in this case when a movie is clearly not getting the interest at theaters even if we think it should.
So given that we're 3 weeks out since its release and its not getting much traction at the theaters anymore would make it fairly obvious that any person wanting to see it would have seen it already.

You keep ignoring the fact that many, probably most, people won't see a movie until it's available at home.

This doesn't mean they don't want to see it. There could be financial or any other number of reasons someone would wait.

It's a weird argument that if you don't see a movie in the theater it's open season on spoilers anywhere and everywhere almost immediately.

LittleBuford

So given that we're 3 weeks out since its release and it’s not getting much traction at the theaters anymore would make it fairly obvious that any person wanting to see it would have seen it already.
I’m not weighing in on the spoiler debate, but as @Wendy Pleakley said, it’s just not true that those who don’t see a film at the cinema aren’t interested in watching it at home at a later date.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You keep ignoring the fact that many, probably most, people won't see a movie until it's available at home.

This doesn't mean they don't want to see it. There could be financial or any other number of reasons someone would wait.

It's a weird argument that if you don't see a movie in the theater it's open season on spoilers anywhere and everywhere almost immediately.
And if that's the case then such as person cannot expect that people aren't going to talk about it for 3-24 months without spoiler tags until it makes it to home release. As then we get into the fact that maybe someone doesn't want to pay for digital for the same financial reasons as not seeing it in theaters and wants to wait until its on a particular streaming service.

LittleBuford

My rule of thumb when it comes to spoilers is to say no more about the plot than would be divulged in a typical published view. It’s not an exact science, of course (I was accused of posting spoilers over in the Little Mermaid thread even though I felt—and still feel—everything I said was in review territory), but I don’t think it’s generally too difficult to determine where the line should be drawn.

Wendy Pleakley

And if that's the case then such as person cannot expect that people aren't going to talk about it for 3-24 months without spoiler tags until it makes it to home release. As then we get into the fact that maybe someone doesn't want to pay for digital for the same financial reasons as not seeing it in theaters and wants to wait until its on a particular streaming service.

24 months is an exaggeration.

I don't know why it's a controversial notion to use spoiler tags in a forum thread that is about box office performance and not a general discussion of movies. There's a reason most discussions of shows on this website note that spoilers will be present in threads that are about a specific show.

Anything considered a spoiler should really be irrelevant here. I can say that Wish likely did poorly because it's a paint by numbers film that strings together a bunch of Disney animated tropes and has underwhelming songs. There's no need to bring up specific plot points unless one feels they impacted the box office, and it's easy to mark those as spoilers.

LittleBuford

I guess now I am weighing in, but I see no need to post spoilers even for very old films. Many people are lucky enough to watch Psycho for the first time without knowing the plot, even this many decades after it was first released, and that’s because most commentators over the years have resisted the urge to share the film’s surprises.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom