Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

LittleBuford

I’m so confused. After initially resisting the idea, I really became convinced that Disney’s box-office slump was due in part to ideological opposition to the company, and then Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine (which I just saw) came along. Whatever the explanation, I’m glad we can (begin to) move on from some of the notions that have dominated these threads during the last two years.

CinematicFusion

I’m so confused. After initially resisting the idea, I really became convinced that Disney’s box-office slump was due in part to ideological opposition to the company, and then Inside Out 2 and Deadpool & Wolverine (which I just saw) came along. Whatever the explanation, I’m glad we can (begin to) move on from some of the notions that have dominated these threads during the last two years.
Quality content and storytelling, strong franchises, and relatable A-list stars that both men and women can fantasize about being or being with can still attract audiences. I’m sure my wife fantasizes about being with Hugh Jackman… she bought us tickets a month ago. But that’s what cinema is all about: the fantasy and a break from the everyday world.

Vegas Disney Fan

I think it was ideological opposition to the movies, not the company. I think the success of the last few movies just proves what most here have said, it’s the story that matters, focus on a good story instead of a message and people will still show up.

The 2024 lineup is packed full of safe sequels, Inside Out, Deadpool, Moana, etc, it’ll be interesting to see if that popularity maintains itself in 2025 with more controversial movies like Snow White, Brave New world, etc. I’m most excited for Elio, the story looks fun so it’ll be interesting to see what they ultimately release and if fans will show up for a new Pixar film.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

What was the ideological opposition to Wish?
In regards to Wish, the film wasn’t interesting, and audiences agreed—hardly anyone showed up. I don’t think there was a single character in the film that the audience could identify with, aspire to be, or wanted to be with. My girls saw it once and never talked about it again. Ultimately, it was a forgettable film.

CinematicFusion

They took a story that was originally about the origins of the wishing star, seen in many Disney movies, and turned it into a story about bringing down the patriarchy.
Agree and so did the audience… While addressing contemporary issues is important, audiences primarily seek entertainment from Disney movies. If the messaging overshadows the storytelling, it can detract from the overall enjoyment, leading to a perception that the film is more didactic than delightful.

LittleBuford

They took a story that was originally about the origins of the wishing star, seen in many Disney movies, and turned it into a story about bringing down the patriarchy.
That certainly wasn’t my reading of it, and I don’t think such an interpretation gained any real steam until after the film had already flopped. At that point, a familiar pattern kicked in whereby those intent on framing things politically promoted an ideological explanation for the film’s failure (while neglecting to account for why Elemental did quite well despite having a much stronger social message).

LittleBuford

In regards to Wish, the film wasn’t interesting, and audiences agreed—hardly anyone showed up. I don’t think there was a single character in the film that the audience could identify with, aspire to be, or wanted to be with. My girls saw it once and never talked about it again. Ultimately, it was a forgettable film.
Honestly, I think the film did much worse than it deserved to (or would have done pre-2020), and its failure (together with that of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny) is what finally convinced me that Disney may have suffered some sort of longstanding ideological damage to its reputation that was keeping people away from even the most unobjectionable of releases. I find it difficult to square such a reading, however, with the remarkable box-office turnaround we’re now seeing.

At any rate, we seem to agree that Wish’s failure wasn’t caused to any significant degree by ideological objections to its content (I’m somewhat confused as to why @Vegas Disney Fan liked your post).

ETA: Having read your following post, I’m confused as to your position too! In one response you’re saying the film was merely boring, in the next you’re agreeing that people were turned off by its supposedly anti-patriarchal messaging.

Last edited:

mickEblu

That certainly wasn’t my reading of it, and I don’t think such an interpretation gained any real steam until after the film had already flopped. At that point, a familiar pattern kicked in whereby those intent on framing things politically promoted an ideological explanation for the film’s failure (while neglecting to account for why Elemental did quite well despite having a much stronger social message).

Assuming this is true (I don’t believe it is) this ignores any cumulative effect on the audience due to the movies that preceded it. I’m going to drop this handy dandy guide below

Lightyear - Woke/ Bad Movie*
Strange World - Woke/ Bad Movie
Elemental - Woke Light/ Good Movie
Wish- Woke Light/ Decent Movie**
Inside Out 2 - Not Woke/ Good Movie

As you can see above if a movie is good AND also not woke it has the best chance for success

*based on Gazillion dollar Toy Story franchise

** movie didn’t have a chance due to compounding loss of trust/faith

CinematicFusion

Honestly, I think the film did much worse than it deserved to (or would have done pre-2020), and its failure (together with that of Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny) is what finally convinced me that Disney may have suffered some sort of longstanding ideological damage to its reputation that was keeping people away from even the most unobjectionable of releases. I find it difficult to square such a reading, however, with the remarkable box-office turnaround we’re now seeing.

At any rate, we seem to agree that Wish’s failure wasn’t caused to any significant degree by ideological objections to its content (I’m somewhat confused as to why @Vegas Disney Fan liked your post).
What surprised me the most last year was MI 7. Despite great reviews from audiences and critics, and with Cruise coming off the mega-hit Maverick, I thought the movie was a great action film… but it bombed. Still scratching my head at that one.

Maybe everyone went to watch Glen Powell in Maverick.

CinematicFusion

ETA: Having read your following post, I’m confused as to your position too! In one response you’re saying the film was merely boring, in the next you’re agreeing that people were turned off by its supposedly anti-patriarchal messaging.
Wish struggled (my opinion) to balance its storytelling and thematic delivery, leading to criticisms on both fronts. The film’s failure to engage through its characters and plot, combined with its overt messaging, contributed to its mixed reception. These elements combined to create a viewing experience that many found less engaging and more didactic than they would have preferred.

No one wants to sit through a boring lecture, even if it’s presented in a visually appealing way.

This underscores the importance of a well-balanced narrative that integrates themes seamlessly into an engaging story.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Assuming what is true?

That the interpretation didn’t take off until the film flopped. I also took this to imply that the content of the film had nothing to do with the poor box office results.

As for the Elemental explanation, it’s simple. Elemental is a much better film than Wish and it’s light on the Woke. Wish isn’t all that Woke (at least not in your face Woke) but for people already turned off the small things might be magnified. The characters in Elemental are a walking puddle of water and a flame. That alone puts peoples guards down off the bat. I think your gauge for what people may or may not find "woke" is a bit off as you obviously think differently than the people who would have issues with some of the content in Disneys recent films.

What is the social messaging in Elemental you are referring to?

DKampy

Wish struggled (my opinion) to balance its storytelling and thematic delivery, leading to criticisms on both fronts. The film’s failure to engage through its characters and plot, combined with its overt messaging, contributed to its mixed reception. These elements combined to create a viewing experience that many found less engaging and more didactic than they would have preferred.

No one wants to sit through a boring lecture, even if it’s presented in a visually appealing way.

This underscores the importance of a well-balanced narrative that integrates themes seamlessly into an engaging story.
I did not find Wish lecturing

LittleBuford

That the interpretation didn’t take off until the film flopped. I also took this to imply that the content of the film had nothing to do with the poor box office results.
I enjoyed the film more than others here did but am perfectly willing to accept that many found it boring and uninspired. That was certainly the critical consensus. What I don’t find at all convincing is the notion that droves of people kept away because they deemed the content anti-patriarchal.

As for the Elemental explanation, it’s simple. Elemental is a much better film than Wish and it’s light on the Woke. Wish isn’t all that Woke (at least not in your face Woke) but for people already turned off the small things might be magnified. The characters in Elemental are a walking puddle of water and a flame. That alone puts peoples guards down off the bat.
This and your previous post bear out my point. Because Inside Out 2 has done so incredibly well, you’ve had to label it “Not Woke” even though it has plenty of “woke” features. Similarly, Elemental’s success has forced you to label it less “woke” than Lightyear when it patently isn’t. Yours is a logic that invokes wokeness to explain failure but ignores its presence when the film in question is a success.

And if, as you claimed in your last post, it’s all a cumulative effect, why are things suddenly turning around at this moment? It’s not as if Disney’s political image is any different now than it was a year ago.

LittleBuford

What was its overt messaging in your opinion? The interpretations that people have offered over in the Wish thread are all over the place. If the film was lecturing us (and I personally don’t think it was), there seems to be little agreement on what it was saying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom