Disney (and others) at the Box Office - Current State of Affairs

haveyoumetmark

So like 8 billion people give a crap about reviews? Or better yet…remember what IMDb even is?

Does it show up on people’s MySpace pages?

Edit: I just looked it up…they get about 200 mil hits a month…which is about how many more people would have had to buy $15 tickets for that breathtaking copied remake to have achieved the lofty projections tossed around here…

Guess that proves that?
Yeah not everything is going to be a 1:1 cause-effect relationship, but the phenomenon was accepted as having an outsize impact on Mermaid’s performance globally.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah not everything is going to be a 1:1 cause-effect relationship, but the phenomenon was widely accepted as having an outsize impact on Mermaid’s performance globally.

It has some effect…I think word of Mouth it was an unoriginal, pointless plodding endeavor had more of an effect…

In spite of canned critical praise

Like the other rob Marshall classic: Mary Poppins Remakes

And by the way…that article was posted almost daily last year to support the “Manchurian sabotage” theory…

The problem was it was proven wrong days later

Mermaid flatlined domestically in about 3 weeks too…which puts it right with the awful Disney Star Wars standard

Not exactly maverick…or Mario…or even minions

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I believe it is an unreasonable concern. Parents who feel their children can’t understand the concept are merely projecting.
Thats a fair opinion but if you were to ask 50 people when it’s appropriate to discuss any given topic with a child you’d likely get 50 different answers, I’ve mentioned it before but I’m old enough to remember when people were furious with Disney for releasing the Black Cauldron, a PG movie, because it was innapropriate for kids and Disney should stick to rated G movies. Projecting or protecting (innocence) is a fine line.

haveyoumetmark

It has some effect…I think word of Mouth it was an unoriginal, pointless plodding endeavor had more of an effect…

In spite of canned critical praise

Like the other rob Marshall classic: Mary Poppins Remakes
The same is true for Beauty and the Beast with the cherry on top being that Emma Watson can‘t sing. Yet it was a critical and box office darling suffering none of the indignities Mermaid did. Good thing the hate network hadn’t set their sights on Disney in 2017 with LeFou being gay…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The same is true for Beauty and the Beast with the cherry on top being that Emma Watson can‘t sing. Yet it was a critical and box office darling suffering none of the indignities Mermaid did. Good thing the hate network hadn’t set their sights on Disney in 2017 with LeFou being gay…
Ahhhh…but beauty and the beast was like their 3rd or 4th remake…not like the 10th

And I don’t remember Watson getting a pass…the critics were more effusive of mermaid as well.

It wasn’t as stale at that time
And had hermione. Pretty simple…Occam’s razor.

Whereas I think mermaid was reprehensible…on Disneys part. They most obvious tried to “hook” a young, cheap beyonce (I’ll say it) into a lucrative (for them) franchise deal and it was a rob Marshall mess of overzealous arrangement.

Listen to Under the Sea…could they junk it up with background vocal more?

Wasn’t Howard ashman for sure.

And I hate the message they cynically sent to the female audience. I don’t want the girls around me being disrespected the way it came off.

Especially the AA ones.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Why assume that a sizeable chunk of that word of mouth would have mentioned the kiss, etc. or even looked negatively upon it?
I'm not saying it would be sizable. The point is, the information is out there, wether it is the hate brigade or a news story from a pro LGBT source. If you searched strange world, you would get headlines for and against the crush. Take the anti crush stories and you still know it's there. Add to it that people would talk about it. And

The people who it bothers, are going to know it's there. And they aren't going anyway. The most important thing for a movie is that the initial word of mouth, from people who have seen the film, is very positive. Then the noise beforehand is largely meaningless. We've seen it many times. Admitted by most of the people here who challenge my opinion.

I was told the hate brigade tried, but they failed because the popularity with, barbie, fallout, peacemaker... I wonder why? Maybe the initial word of mouth was so good, it drowned out the nonsense? Even elemental grew legs and drowned out the noise to have a decent run.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I was poking fun at how some have been purposely mischaracterized this media narrative against Disney (and its amplification). It was nascent at the time and you can tell because the director was very proud of how he handled LeFou, even using it to promote his film. This was a pointless detail about LeFou, and Condon wrote a check his movie couldn’t cash. I can’t imagine him doing the same in the media environment of the last few years, which further supports the impact it can have on Disney’s box office performance.
He cashed about about $1.3 bil on that check

The bosses were pleased

erasure fan1

s so odd that you edited out this entirely relevant section from my original post:
It really doesn't matter what I say or respond to. You will find away to shift things and say see you're wrong. So what's the point.
You also continually ignore the fact they folks aren’t claiming the hate campaigns are wholly or even primarily responsible for the 2023’s slates underperformance, just that it played some reasonably significant role,"
You continue to ignore that I said it plays a roll as well. But because I won't agree in the significance of that roll you dismiss what I and others say. You've quoted me as saying I keep denying there's a network that hates Disney. You're either lieing, or you aren't tracing threads back. You do realize just as I'm stating an opinion, so are you.? You have no evidence in the roll it played, or how things would be different. Did you somehow talk to everyone who didn't go to the theater? We all know media outlets, politicians, social media... all manipulate things to further their agendas. It happens in all directions. There's definitely an anti Disney contingent, as I've said. You don't seem to acknowledge the pro Disney contingent who say what ever they need to support them. Articles like

AN EXHILARATING, VISUALLY SPECTACULAR SCI-FI ADVENTURE FOR FANS WHO GREW UP WITH TOY STORY

Uhhh yea, that's not biased at all. Or at least no more than

Disney found it necessary to introduce to a very young viewing population. The idea of a lesbian couple raising a child. I don't think we need to shove this down the throats of small children. Parents can teach their children all they need to know at the appropriate time

They're both garbage.

What do you consider a "reasonably significant roll"? Without it, They all profit? They break even? How much of an effect did it actually have?
you constantly mischaracterize arguments and shift goalposts to avoid acknowledging things you don't want to acknowledge.
I've not shifted goal posts. I've been very consistent in my opinion. You just don't like it and want to shout down any opinion that's not lock step with yours. What do I, not want to acknowledge? I've said before, we agree on a lot more than you think. But because of this one point of contention you're blind to it. And that's pretty sad.
This is clever little attempt at both-sidesm. There HAS been a constant attack on Disney, but it hasn't come in any meaningful way from the anti-capitalist fringe. It's come from groups like the Southern Baptists. However, a combination of the rise of social media, the development of a deeply dishonest and widespread multimedia echo chamber, and major changes in American political and cultural discourse means that we have NEVER seen those attacks reach the heights of the last few years. Not even close.

The idea that a campaign waged by some of the most watched TV networks, most prominent national politicians, and most circulated commentators in a superheated environment is equivalent to water cooler chatter is beyond silly. It also sidesteps the fact that, again and again, we see that people get mad about what they're told to be mad about - the outrage is almost entirely disconnected from the contents of the film. Most people DON'T think in explicitly political terms all the time - they have to be told to view things as an assault on their "team." Hence Barbie's preachiness and Strange World's environmentalism go largely unnoticed while the existence of a same-sex couple in the background sets the world ablaze.

You want to boil this down to the very fringes of bigotry - but the hate campaign does its greatest damage by convincing people in a general sense that a film "hates" them or belongs to the other "team" in a way those people can't actually articulate with examples (we see that a lot here) and by tainting escapist entertainment with an acrionious debate.
Wow.

How's it playing both sides. I thought there was more to it than just the hate network? You are the one who seems to pick and choose when a show is effected by all this. Like I said, I've been pretty clear with my stance.

Look, we obviously aren't going to see eye to eye on this. And we really can't get into most of it without getting modded. we all take the information we are given and process it as we will. The thought that
they have to be told to view things as an assault on their "team."
Is absolutely nuts. Yea, there are people like this for sure. But making it out as it's the majority of people? What a pessimistic way to live your life. And what is the solution to all this? I don't think it's the all or nothing attitude that you have with posters like myself.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Saw this earlier. The latest garbage flowing through the network. Just got amplified by Elon and is being picked up by the usual fringe “news” sources. Let’s see if it makes its way further through the circuit.
The network

This is a dude - and not the most reputable - claiming that the HR practices are not up to snuff

Which happens in about half the companies in America on a nearly daily basis

There’s an entire division of law practice supported by it. It’s not fiction.

But you gotta bring up the same tired accusation…again…

Keep rephrasing it and trying again…eventually it will work 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom