Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Marvel and Pixar never released a standalone movie...

But LFL - on the other hand - retained and financed nearly all their movies and simply used paramount, Fox, etc for distribution...that was just not wanting to sweat the “small” stuff.

It will be interesting to see how they consolidate - for sure - down the road.

In November 2005, Marvel Studios worked to start development from scratch,[44] and announced Iron Man as their first independent feature, as the character was their only major one not already depicted in live action.[9]​

Jedijax719

Marvel and LFL were concept-based "studios". Also, Marvel's films were released by Paramount and Universal before Disney bought them.

LFL's films were distributed by Fox.

Pixar movies, while made by their own studio until Disney's sole ownership, were all always distributed by Disney.

And all the while, Pixar, Marvel, and LFL, while being distributed by other studios, obviously produced only their own material.

Although, I may have to correct myself. Disney DID buy Miramax so I am not sure if that's the same kind of thing as Fox acquisition.

Btw, back to TLK, the actual weekend was only $1 million above the estimate. Sadly, it looks like $600 million is dead already unless TLK sees drops similar to Aladdin and TS4, which I highly doubt.

doctornick

Pixar remains to be seen..
But if you are not expecting Incredibles 3, Toy Story 4, and Inside Out 2...you need to watch more closely.

Like they did with frozen? That opened in 2012? That they have appeared to have struggled making a sequel for for 7 years?
Or wreck it Ralph 2?
Tangled 2 coming?

Point is that Disney is on a clean 5 + year drought on a new animated property of quality (forgive if I have forgotten one - it’s possible)

Zootopia? Moana? Coco? Am I missing something? Not to mention that Inside Out and even Big Hero 6 were all within the last 5 years.

And next year we have Onward and Soul coming from Pixar.

It would be hard to argue that Disney live action is doing anything creative these days (even their "new" stuff has been adaptions of well established properties like Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, The BFG, etc.). No argument there. But animation - both studios - have had a decent number of new concepts though there is more sequels than I'd prefer. A re-balancing to more like half sequels/half originals would be nice.

doctornick

When I read the $6.99 for D+ subscriptions, the first thing that comes to mind is how temporary that must be. $6.99 for the first year then up to $10-$12 for the next year? Or $6.99 for basic, DVD quality and (like Netflix) more expensive for HD and super expensive for 4K (or not available in 4K until the second year when it goes up to $15).

Problem is, can Disney really take that gamble? Netflix has been around for a long time and people are just used to having it. With D+, if they jack around with the price too much, people will just leave it immediately and they cannot really afford to have people leave in droves when it's launching.

I think they can maintain the (or at least "a") cheaper price for quite some time if they wish in order to build a base. The huge advantage that Disney has over the likes of Netflix is their back catalog that they own and do not have to pay royalties on. Yes, Disney will also be spending bank on new productions, but the bedrock of Disney+ is going to be tons of old Disney stuff that doesn't cost them a cent (beyond the opportunity cost of not selling them to another streaming service).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Zootopia? Moana? Coco? Am I missing something? Not to mention that Inside Out and even Big Hero 6 were all within the last 5 years.

And next year we have Onward and Soul coming from Pixar.

It would be hard to argue that Disney live action is doing anything creative these days (even their "new" stuff has been adaptions of well established properties like Nutcracker, Wrinkle in Time, The BFG, etc.). No argument there. But animation - both studios - have had a decent number of new concepts though there is more sequels than I'd prefer. A re-balancing to more like half sequels/half originals would be nice.
No...you’re not missing anything...I forgot all of those 🤔

Two of those were Pixar...I left out inside out intentionally and forgot coco.

I was thinking more Disney animation/live action...I did remember big hero six and wrinkle in time.

More than I recalled earlier today...but I still think they need more. Very sequel and remake heavy...far too many big name remakes

Ripken10

Yes part of me thinks the reason for Disney's slate this year being so stacked with theatrical releases is Disney+ but then the other part of me thinks it might just be a coincidence and everything just lined up that way. Typically Disney and its subsidiaries release no more than 10 films a year. Which is actually less than any of its competitors (WB,Universal) etc. This year Disney just happened to acquire Fox and their slate increased. So it could just be a coincidence that the slate was so huge.
Replying to your post, but I know others really were mentioning it more (and I was lazy and didn't want to go back to other post).

The idea that Disney is releasing more this year is completely false. 2019 will end up finishing as the second fewest releases of movies to theaters (not counting fox because of the timing of the purchase).

I just don't see it - that they "changed" their typical release schedule due to Disney+ coming out. They are still releasing the same number of movies (less actually).

And someone mentioned the idea of them moving Maleficent forward - they only did that after moving Jungle Cruise back. It is my opinion they had a greater emphasis on trying to spread out their movie releases (included with the fox releases) so they didn't have a negative effect on each other (competing with each other so to say). They looked at the slate of movies they had, and the schedule of fox, and how those movies were performing for test groups, and decided which ones to move dates (some to give time for more work).

Phicinfan

But none of Disney’s releases this year were affected by fox at all.

This is deliberate...but we don’t know why?

The bigger indictment is it seems they forced a couple of movies in they didn’t need too...that makes me wonder.

They did not need marvel-avengers - Spider-Man in 5 months and then flatline the rest of the year.

They don’t need malificent...frozen and Star Wars too close my adversely affect some of the casual market. And lion king and Aladdin 2 months apart didn’t make a ton of sense either.

The big one is toy story for me...didn’t need it at all this year. Really needed it next.

The other issue that shows is they are making no new material...or they could offset some of these big name movie with others. None are being made.
Going to disagree with this one point. I think they DID need another movie post the Avengers HUGE story line to show they are still Marvel and still have a plan. They really need to hit on at least one more to alleviate fears of them starting to get Superhero tiring.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Going to disagree with this one point. I think they DID need another movie post the Avengers HUGE story line to show they are still Marvel and still have a plan. They really need to hit on at least one more to alleviate fears of them starting to get Superhero tiring.
Perhaps...

I think the Spider-Man story right after is important...I just think they could have waited till October/November to recharge the batteries a little

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Replying to your post, but I know others really were mentioning it more (and I was lazy and didn't want to go back to other post).

The idea that Disney is releasing more this year is completely false. 2019 will end up finishing as the second fewest releases of movies to theaters (not counting fox because of the timing of the purchase).

I just don't see it - that they "changed" their typical release schedule due to Disney+ coming out. They are still releasing the same number of movies (less actually).

And someone mentioned the idea of them moving Maleficent forward - they only did that after moving Jungle Cruise back. It is my opinion they had a greater emphasis on trying to spread out their movie releases (included with the fox releases) so they didn't have a negative effect on each other (competing with each other so to say). They looked at the slate of movies they had, and the schedule of fox, and how those movies were performing for test groups, and decided which ones to move dates (some to give time for more work).

Indeed.

If anything, D+ and Hulu are slowing down their theatrical release schedule because as Iger keeps saying over and over that D+ is the company's top priority right now. In fact, movies that were made for theatrical release, like Noelle, are heading to D+.

Add to this the big pause in Marvel movies before phase 4 begins.

Add to this a number of Fox films in development or scheduled for release that got shelved or pushed back or headed for Hulu.

Add to this the redirecting of studio resources to feed The Great Dthulu.

doctornick

To be clear, though, Spider-Man: Far From Home is a Sony release, not Disney (Buena Vista). So, the release date was dictated by Sony. They probably insisted on a summer window for the film.

Animaniac93-98

Honestly, at what point do we consider Star Wars and Marvel animations? All the behind the scene stuff is largely green screen and motion capture.

The line has been blurred many times over the past 10-15 years, but some directors still swear that their movies are not "animated".

Part of that is the stigma of being associated with animation because it's still thought of as children's entertainment and not serious cinema.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom