Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

erasure fan1

Since it just hit D+ I figured I would watch it. Wow, not good at all, it was absolutely useless. one of the big issues was the "live action" animals. Completely emotionless. If all you were going to do was have James Earl Jones just read his lines almost verbatim from the original. Just use the original dialog as the original was acted so much better. And that goes for almost all the characters. I figured I would at least enjoy it just because it's the lion king. I didn't really expect it to be as bad as it was.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All these remakes have been low rent...let’s face it.

Eisner got all kindsa crap for the cheap direct to videos...

But honestly, does a big box office take make these less brand eroding?

They are tiring out the original animated features AND the live action genre with these...two bird shot down with a single stone.

Another embarrassment on the Bob iger cashout fairwell tour

NateD1226

All these remakes have been low rent...let’s face it.

They are tiring out the original animated features AND the live action genre with these...two bird shot down with a single stone.

Another embarrassment on the Bob iger cashout fairwell tour
Exactly. I actually enjoyed the Maleficent movies. But other than that, these are just movies for cash and more popularity. I am hoping Mulan and TLM are good

So you're saying this was worse than Aladdin?
Oh I cant stand the Aladdin remake. That one was even worse than TLK.

erasure fan1

So you're saying this was worse than Aladdin?
Not sure, I'll let you know tomorrow as I plan to watch it tonight. Something tells me that I won't be a happy camper for sure.

I'd say in some ways its worse. In the cheapquels you knew they weren't "theatrical" quality. But this is Disney prime time, the big show. Peoples all time favorites, and you've dumped all over them. sure you always have the originals, but it makes you wonder if Disney can ever ignite that creative spark again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure, I'll let you know tomorrow as I plan to watch it tonight. Something tells me that I won't be a happy camper for sure.

I'd say in some ways its worse. In the cheapquels you knew they weren't "theatrical" quality. But this is Disney prime time, the big show. Peoples all time favorites, and you've dumped all over them. sure you always have the originals, but it makes you wonder if Disney can ever ignite that creative spark again.
They’re not “bad quality”...they’re just complete doppelgängers.

What good does that do? Well I really wasn’t digging Aladdin, but now that will Smith is in its great!
...said no one ever.

Not to bring up “the franchise” again...but Disney Star Wars are high quality...they just aren’t any good. No emotion to sustain continued interest.

The remakes may not be down in the box seats with Kathy Kennedy and her man-boy rian Johnson...but they’re in the same stadium

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maleficent was the right approach, but just sucked in its own right. Didn’t see the sequel.
It didn’t suck...it wasn’t a compete spin but to center on a conflicted “villain” was a really interesting take.

The sequel looked DOA so I didn’t see it. And it was true. I really should trust my instincts about DOA...I think i’ve been right about 98% of the time.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Or just not make them at all.
That would be preferable...but fools keep going.

Like a certain mishandled theme park complex in the middle of Florida....

I’d rather they attempt to make new stories...even if it’s a stinker here and there. But iger and his merry band of stockslaves take easy cash even more than evil Mikey in the “house of horrors” era. That was about limiting costs...this is about emptying the udders before breakfast.

Even savior favreau has done two to of these nonsense rehashes...making him not “the savior”

The checks cashed...just like man of “mystery” abrams.

No need to look deep when the first instinct explains it.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well that is preferable for sure. But since people keep going, Disney will also keep going. So unfortunately they aren't going anywhere for a while. And once they've cycled through the classics, it will be on to sequels of these remakes I would bet.
They’re almost out of movies...already...

What was the latest stupido announcement? I’ve almost forgotten.

Right....Bambi. A dull movie that was originally moderately success only because animation features where still very “new”.

Cause the world digs North American forest animals 😳

Aristocats...here we come!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom