Disney and Jon Favreau Joining Forces on “The Lion King”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m convinced that this is a large part of the reason. Remember too that Malificent was PULLED forward from 2020 to this year and crammed into an already crowded fall. It didn’t make any sense because Disney already was set to own the year. Then they dropped dates for their VOD service. They are setting up a constant flow of big premiers for the first few months of their service. Also the big story for them all next year will be the streaming service, but this year it’s still revenue, income, and rollover. From a stock price protection perspective, the strategy makes sense.
I subscribe to your theory...which means iger will retire in early 2020. That’s my guess

Jedijax719

Most people don't understand Disney's business mindset when it comes to their parks and their movies. In the times when Disney was putting out 1 animated film per year, their parks were waning in business. Why? The themes were extremely dated. And as time went on, they became more and more dated. Yet, Disney doesn't want to erase their classic films from the parks (now more geared to the Renaissance years).

So how do they keep things current? By remaking them and thus creating a new generation of fans who will, in turn, want to go to the parks and then, eventually, bring THEIR kids to the parks. Imagine in 30 or 40 years Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty's castle as the icons of the parks with no reference for the kids at that time. Under Iger, Disney has done a tremendous job at connecting their parks with their movies and thus keeping their parks relevant. Perhaps Iger realized that the two cannot exist separately as they primarily did in the 1970's and 80's before the Renaissance years (and thus the parks were struggling at that time and there was no vision.)

Mike S

Most people don't understand Disney's business mindset when it comes to their parks and their movies. In the times when Disney was putting out 1 animated film per year, their parks were waning in business. Why? The themes were extremely dated. And as time went on, they became more and more dated. Yet, Disney doesn't want to erase their classic films from the parks (now more geared to the Renaissance years).

So how do they keep things current? By remaking them and thus creating a new generation of fans who will, in turn, want to go to the parks and then, eventually, bring THEIR kids to the parks. Imagine in 30 or 40 years Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty's castle as the icons of the parks with no reference for the kids at that time. Under Iger, Disney has done a tremendous job at connecting their parks with their movies and thus keeping their parks relevant. Perhaps Iger realized that the two cannot exist separately as they primarily did in the 1970's and 80's before the Renaissance years (and thus the parks were struggling at that time and there was no vision.)
What are you on that you’re saying the parks ever struggled?

The parks are what kept them from going out of business when the studio was struggling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What are you on that you’re saying the parks ever struggled?

The parks are what kept them from going out of business when the studio was struggling.
This is correct. The parks have been there most stable unit.

Where people get confused is the story that that Epcot “nearly bankrupted them”. But that is incorrect. They were actually never in that bad of shape.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Most people don't understand Disney's business mindset when it comes to their parks and their movies. In the times when Disney was putting out 1 animated film per year, their parks were waning in business. Why? The themes were extremely dated.

Did not happen. You're flat out making things up at this point.

Imagine in 30 or 40 years Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty's castle as the icons of the parks with no reference for the kids at that time.

Did you just forget the existence of home video? Cinderella sold over 3 million copies in its first week of DVD release in 2005. These movies have been reissued on a regular basis since their original release. Reissues are one of the backbones of the company's revenue.

Jedijax719

Did not happen. You're flat out making things up at this point.

Did you just forget the existence of home video? Cinderella sold over 3 million copies in its first week of DVD release in 2005. These movies have been reissued on a regular basis since their original release. Reissues are one of the backbones of the company's revenue.
What didn't happen and what am I making up?

Animaniac93-98

What didn't happen and what am I making up?

That the parks were struggling and they "had no vision" in the 70s and 80s. The opposite happened. Also the notion that the parks were "dated" when WDW was only a decade to 15 years old? Really odd thing to say.

People forgetting the existence of older Disney movies until the live-action remakes came out. Also bogus and nonsensical.

Animaniac93-98

Funny observation. I was in Walmart and they have a great big cardboard display (about 8ft) of product for the lion king. But the funny part was only ONE item was from the new movie. And that was a plush lion. Everything else was from the original movie. It cracks me up that they had to remake it, only to use it to push the original.

The thing about making a "realistic" Lion plush is that

a) it's near impossible to do
b) anybody can do it, because there's almost nothing unique about the design

Those 25 year old Disney drawings? Turns out they still hold up and have exclusive use of them. And they work better as toys.

Jedijax719

I apologize as I was confused by the history I was reading. I got the parks mixed up with the "malaise' describing the theatrical performance of the 70's and early 80's.

Still, though, remaking some or all of the classics keeps the park presence of these films a bit more current and, as time goes on, perhaps relevant.

Jedijax719

Most of my interpretation. in all honesty, comes from reading about how management was in a little bit of disarray during the 70's and the lack of big movie success (until TLM) and clumped it together with the parks for some reason.

@erasure fan1 yes I noticed the same thing at Disney store (2 or 3 that I went to recently). The LK display was tiny and really didn't have anything from the new movie at all. I was SHOCKED! A quarter of the store was dedicated to TS4 and they still had some new Aladdin toys and merch although picked over. But the LK stuff was meager at best and was centered on the original. Not good marketing UNLESS, as you said, they saw the new movie as a way to reinvigorate interest in the original (which, when you think about it, worked).

Tony Perkis

Im certain its because of Disney+ launching in November. Their getting everything out in the first and second half of the year so the 90 day theatrical window will pass by the time Disney+ launches. Its already slated to host Aladdin, Lion King, Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2 at launch.
Again, I haven’t seen anything to validate this, and frankly, it makes no sense. It risks cannibalizing its actual exclusive like The Mancalorian and some of the Marvel stuff.

Jedijax719

I would argue the exact opposite. He’s clearly pumping the well dry, in terms of its WDS banner theatrical releases.
That's a good point actually. Many think the new chief will be Bob Chapek. I have no opinion. But I DO think that the pressure will be there for new, fresh material. I think that Disney fans and the general public are starting to become more and more vocal about the desire for new stories.

Tony Perkis

That's a good point actually. Many think the new chief will be Bob Chapek. I have no opinion. But I DO think that the pressure will be there for new, fresh material. I think that Disney fans and the general public are starting to become more and more vocal about the desire for new stories.
One of these films needs to bomb in order to force a course correction. Luckily, that happened for Star Wars with Solo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom