News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

seascape

Is this a good deal and what will the combined value be. Assuming, which may not be a good idea, The Walt Disney Company is worth 165 billion and the stock value they are buying is worth 52.4 billion combined they are worth 217 billion. Now if Disney is right and there are 2 billion or so cost efficiency that features be achieved, that would add 38 billion to the value or 17.5% and bring the total value above 255 billion. Therefore if and only if Disney is correct and they can pull 2 billion more in profits it's a great deal. Anything less than 1 billion in efficiency makes it a bad deal due to the risks.

JoeCamel

Is this a good deal and what will the combined value be. Assuming, which may not be a good idea, The Walt Disney Company is worth 165 billion and the stock value they are buying is worth 52.4 billion combined they are worth 217 billion. Now if Disney is right and there are 2 billion or so cost efficiency that features be achieved, that would add 38 billion to the value or 17.5% and bring the total value above 255 billion. Therefore if and only if Disney is correct and they can pull 2 billion more in profits it's a great deal. Anything less than 1 billion in efficiency makes it a bad deal due to the risks.
You left out the debt

seascape

I left out the debt because market cap is based on the stock value. The enterprise value would include that. I am looking at this as a stockholder.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
You have to look past Star Wars.
Way too many pros and cons to post here,but hold on there.

This acquisition has to go before the SEC to make sure it doesn't create a
public-sucking megalith.
A T & T was told they can't buy Time-Warner without getting rid of Comcast/Universal.
That's going to court.
Maybe Mary Barra can put in a good word to help this along!

No negativity, just some information.
Personally, I more cons than pros.

AT&T doesn't own Comcast/Universal. What you are referring to was the proposed merger of AT&T Broadband with Comcast to create AT&T Comcast, a new company. That company is now known as Comcast - that change happened in 2002.. And what Time Warner was told to sell off was CNN.

scottb411

Someone seemingly posted diagrams on Instagram at some point in time that showed Blue Sky movies getting a section for attractions at 20th Century Fox World in Mayalsia. They won't necessarily get built I guess, but they seem to have been planned at least.

www.themeparx.com/20th-century-fox-world-malaysia/

They could add an Ice Age attraction to Animal Kingdom in DinoLand USA and a Rio attraction for a new Brazil land at Epcot (Soarin over Brazil).

Cmdr_Crimson

They could add an Ice Age attraction to Animal Kingdom in DinoLand USA and a Rio attraction for a new Brazil land at Epcot (Soarin over Brazil).

Well, Fox World Malaysia has Concept art for Ice Age
ht_20th_Century_Fox_World_Ice_Age_ll_131218_4x3_992.jpg

And two other parks have boat rides themed around the films...Most of the ride's are foreign based..

Cmdr_Crimson

This also brings up another thought........Wonder what they would sell in Merchandise-wise with any of the Fox Related IP's within The Disney Stores??

scottb411

This also brings up another thought........Wonder what they would sell in Merchandise-wise with any of the Fox Related IP's within The Disney Stores??
They could add Austria to Epcot and sell a ton of "The Sound of Music" merchandise. The seriousness of that film would fit in well at Epcot (ie. American Adventure) as compared to other parks.

They could also add a "The Sound of Music" musical at the new theater they are building at the Magic Kingdom and sell a ton of merchandise there as well.

JohnD

If Disney really has a good sense of humor, how about any Simpsons item making fun of Disney. I can see it now, a Simpson's Efcot Center shirt.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Too many people are assuming things related to movie and TV IP will be happening soon. This deal isn't expected to close for 12-18 months, so nothing is going to happen until then. I don't know if they can even (legally) start planning anything until then. Even then, I see there being little, if any, impact on the theme parks from this deal. It's Iger's "de-risk" mentality spending $52.4 billion to purchase of 30% of Hulu, everything else is simply along for the ride.

the.dreamfinder

Too many people are assuming things related to movie and TV IP will be happening soon. This deal isn't expected to close for 12-18 months, so nothing is going to happen until then. I don't know if they can even (legally) start planning anything until then. Even then, I see there being little, if any, impact on the theme parks from this deal. It's Iger's "de-risk" mentality spending $52.4 billion to purchase of 30% of Hulu, everything else is simply along for the ride.
IF this deal goes through, FF and the X Men probably won’t join the MCU until 2021-2022 at the earliest.

seascape

They could add Austria to Epcot and sell a ton of "The Sound of Music" merchandise. The seriousness of that film would fit in well at Epcot (ie. American Adventure) as compared to other parks.

They could also add a "The Sound of Music" musical at the new theater they are building at the Magic Kingdom and sell a ton of merchandise there as well.
I love the Sound of Music. I know it sounds strange but what about a Sound of Music ride in Germany?

AEfx

Bring something insightful? You spouted off the "name a character" line that's been plaguing these forums since 2011. As Bill Belichick would say, "Give me a break."

The treatment of Avatar in Disney's Animal Kingdom was better than any other single IP treatment in any other park in the world. I challenge you to come up with one that's better than it. That doesn't mean the rides are the best or the land is the best, what it means is that it's the best fit for the park that it's in.

To say it's a movie nobody remembers is a total fabrication. Having said that, you absolutely don't need to have seen the movie to appreciate the land. The same is true of the Harry Potter lands and Cars Land as well. Any good IP driven area or attraction needs to be able to exist above that IP. All the IP does is help with marketing and familiarity.

Reading your passionate defense of Avatar reveals just exactly why it doesn't seem to have driven new visitors to WDW and has just spread them out more, particularly from the mess that is the Studios at the moment.

Let's face it - Pandora is a bunch of generic tan rockwork with funny looking alien plants. Even the big unique feature, the middling "floating" rock effect, isn't something people see and immediately say "Avatar!" I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of guests that enter the land wouldn't know without being told by signage and advertising it had anything to do with a film that, in spite of your rejection, that most people barely remember aside from "it was really pretty with good 3D".

It will never invoke the passion that, say, Hogwarts does. Without the association with Harry Potter, it's just a big castle. People feel emotionally attached and drawn to it because it is the castle that Harry Potter and his friends went to school. Diagon Alley is the street that Harry Potter walked down. Yeah, it's easy to make generic rockwork fit into AK - but I hardly find that a compelling reason to call it such a success.

JohnD

More from Inside the Magic: http://www./2017/12/cartoon-conundr...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Particularly all the Simpsons parodies of Disney and its parks over the years.

http://www./wp-content/uploads/2017/12/mm-fox-f.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom