3 Finding Dory $1,028,570,889
4 Zootopia $1,023,784,195
5 The Jungle Book $966,550,600
6 The Secret Life of Pets Universal $875,457,937
7 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Warner Bros. $873,260,194
8 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them $814,037,575
9 Deadpool 20th Century Fox $783,112,979
10 Suicide Squad Warner Bros. $745,600,054

This is what I am worried about. Look at this list of top 10 films in 2016. See a pattern there? Disney Systematically has deconstructed the film industry. They choose stories/scripts/actors so very carefully to minimize risk. The biggest studio that only puts out 15-20 tentpole films a year! If these are my choices as an adult when I go to the multiplex, I am concerned for the future. Where is the risk in storytelling? where is the original story blockbuster? I really enjoy speculative fiction in all it's forms but can I have a studio put out a large budget film with adult content and themes.

Obviously there are still studios putting out more series films but with Disney as the mega power player now, demanding more and more of the screens and revenue from the theaters this disparity can only grow.

Let's look at the past: (all credit to Wikipedia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_years_in_film
Highest-grossing films of 1975 (North America)
Rank Title Studio Domestic gross
Jaws Universal Pictures $190,000,000[1]
2 The Rocky Horror Picture Show 20th Century Fox $112,892,319[2]
3 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest United Artists $108,981,275[3]
4 Dog Day Afternoon Warner Bros. $50,000,000[4]
5 Shampoo Columbia Pictures $49,407,734[5]
6 The Return of the Pink Panther United Artists $41,833,347[6]
7 Funny Lady Columbia Pictures $39,000,000[7]
8 The Apple Dumpling Gang Walt Disney Productions $36,853,000[8]
9 Aloha, Bobby and Rose Columbia Pictures $35,000,000[9]
10 The Other Side of the Mountain Universal Pictures $34,673,100[10]
International[edit]

I didn't cherry pick this year and I know the 70's really were the golden ago for American film but do random search through the century...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Highest-grossing films of 2016
Rank Title Distributor Worldwide gross
Captain America: Civil War Disney $1,153,304,495
2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $1,056,057,273

This is what I am worried about. Look at this list of top 10 films in 2016. See a pattern there? Disney Systematically has deconstructed the film industry. They choose stories/scripts/actors so very carefully to minimize risk. The biggest studio that only puts out 15-20 tentpole films a year! If these are my choices as an adult when I go to the multiplex, I am concerned for the future. Where is the risk in storytelling? where is the original story blockbuster? I really enjoy speculative fiction in all it's forms but can I have a studio put out a large budget film with adult content and themes.

Obviously there are still studios putting out more series films but with Disney as the mega power player now, demanding more and more of the screens and revenue from the theaters this disparity can only grow.

Let's look at the past: (all credit to Wikipedia)https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_years_in_film
Highest-grossing films of 1975 (North America)
Rank Title Studio Domestic gross
Jaws Universal Pictures $190,000,000[1]
2 The Rocky Horror Picture Show 20th Century Fox $112,892,319[2]
3 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest United Artists $108,981,275[3]
4 Dog Day Afternoon Warner Bros. $50,000,000[4]
5 Shampoo Columbia Pictures $49,407,734[5]
6 The Return of the Pink Panther United Artists $41,833,347[6]
7 Funny Lady Columbia Pictures $39,000,000[7]
8 The Apple Dumpling Gang Walt Disney Productions $36,853,000[8]
9 Aloha, Bobby and Rose Columbia Pictures $35,000,000[9]
10 The Other Side of the Mountain Universal Pictures $34,673,100[10]
International[edit]

I didn't cherry pick this year and I know the 70's really were the golden ago for American film but do random search through the century...

Are you saying that the danger of monopolized movie studios is that they will downplay the innovation/qualities intentionally due to risk and that the audience won't be able to stop it by choosing other offerings?

...and we all become dumber?

...if so then this is fantastic stuff.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure, audience fatigue can happen, eventually. But do you expect them to not bank the billions now (while they are popular) because maybe in 10, 15, 20 years, audiences will be sick of it?

Absolutely not!!!

Did I mistakenly say that? I don't expect them to slow down on marvel...it's a stock company and all stock companies and driven by greed...

No argument.

But the longterm view is where do they go when it does start to lag? Its inevitable. Thor 8 isn't likely to make $850 worldwide...waves due crash and recede at some point.

To be a Disney fan...realistically...you have to take the Longview. Parks, IP, media direction...must be sustainable if you make it such a cornerstone piece of your offerings.

And frankly not care about bob iger...hold his feet to the fire at the first sign of weakness (which I'm not saying has happened...except espn...that is a developing disaster)...to save the whole you can't get to complimentary of the cogs and always look for an upgrade.

jt04

Are you saying that the danger of monopolized movie studios is that they will downplay the innovation/qualities intentionally due to risk and that the audience won't be able to stop it by choosing other offerings?

...and we all become dumber?

...if so then this is fantastic stuff.

History is filled with instances of innovators who have a better option for the market. When a "monopoly" oberstays it's welcome, becomes too bloated to innovate or even care to, then someone inevitably comes along and captures the market's attention and money with something new.

Your cynicism is unwarranted and ignores history.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
History is filled with instances of innovators who have a better option for the market. When a "monopoly" oberstays it's welcome, becomes too bloated to innovate or even care to, then someone inevitably comes along and captures the market's attention and money with something new.

Your cynicism is unwarranted and ignores history.

What point were you going for here? Cause it makes a lot of sense to my cynicism and lack of historical recognition...

Do I need a box office chart or something?
(Now that's cynicism that's unwarranted...what you quoted was a plausible theory that may never come to pass. Two different things in the alphabet soup)

Walt d

True, but it's better than that "Why, George, why?!!" special edition. I took my daughter to see Star Wars when it was re-released to introduce her to the best damn movie franchise. Didn't realize George had messed it up. I was livid and almost walked out.

I agree, make it 4k. So I can be in nirvana watching A New Hope on my 65" 4k Samsung. Oh, and a theatrical showing would be nice, too.
I have to say i saw the unreal new star wars here on walts death. Do you think bob i new that.12/15/17 and im over come. That was the best star wars ever,oh” when is the disc come out, i need more star wars, i cant live with out it!!!!!

phillip9698

Highest-grossing films of 2016
Rank Title Distributor Worldwide gross
Captain America: Civil War Disney $1,153,304,495
2 Rogue One: A Star Wars Story $1,056,057,273

The blame for this has to lay with the audience. A studio is going to put out films that they think will make them money. Blade Runner 2049 comes out to rave critical and audience reviews yet its a huge bomb that will most likely cause the studio to go under. You know what that means, other studios are less likely to produce a similar movie. If the audience wants Star Wars and Marvel movies then i cant blame Disney for giving it to them.

TwilightZone

Try not to look at this through Marvel colored lenses, what about FX or the more indie projects Fox has through Foxseachlight? Is Disney going to try to touch those and prevent filmmakers from doing whatever they want in order to fit the Disney image or create corporate synergy? I know people enjoy star wars and marvel, but even still, Disney is not known for being huge risk-takers, they just aren't. I'm terrified they are going to censor to some extent or use cross promotion through Fox's many independent assets, which yes, destroys creativity. Not to mention the many many jobs that will probably be lost, while the Murdoch's who I genuinely believe are just a repulsive, greedy family, make billions more and will take huge roles in the Disney company.
I don't know it doesn't seem like disney has much input in the marvel or star wars stuff..and if they do they're doing great jobs. plus star wars has more deaths than ever, I don't think they will censor much...but this is more of a wait and see situation if any.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Absolutely not!!!

Did I mistakenly say that? I don't expect them to slow down on marvel...it's a stock company and all stock companies and driven by greed...

No argument.

But the longterm view is where do they go when it does start to lag? Its inevitable. Thor 8 isn't likely to make $850 worldwide...waves due crash and recede at some point.

To be a Disney fan...realistically...you have to take the Longview. Parks, IP, media direction...must be sustainable if you make it such a cornerstone piece of your offerings.

And frankly not care about bob iger...hold his feet to the fire at the first sign of weakness (which I'm not saying has happened...except espn...that is a developing disaster)...to save the whole you can't get to complimentary of the cogs and always look for an upgrade.

I don't trust Iger but I do have faith in Kevin Feige. He has put together an innovative universe that tells many different kinds of stories - it's why Thor Ragnarok did so well - it was a completely different tone, completely different kind of story than the other Thor movies.

And there won't be a Thor 8 for a long time. After this phase of Marvel completes with Avengers 4 in 2019, the MCU will be going in a very new direction, and the early characters of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America will be dormant for a long time.

jt04

What point were you going for here? Cause it makes a lot of sense to my cynicism and lack of historical recognition...

Do I need a box office chart or something?
(Now that's cynicism that's unwarranted...what you quoted was a plausible theory that may never come to pass. Two different things in the alphabet soup)

My only point is free markets will address your concerns if they are allowed to exist.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't trust Iger but I do have faith in Kevin Feige. He has put together an innovative universe that tells many different kinds of stories - it's why Thor Ragnarok did so well - it was a completely different tone, completely different kind of story than the other Thor movies.

And there won't be a Thor 8 for a long time. After this phase of Marvel completes with Avengers 4 in 2019, the MCU will be going in a very new direction, and the early characters of Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America will be dormant for a long time.

Feige gives off a kinda creepy John lasseter "too much power" vibe to me.

Kinda like Kathy Kennedy seems to be a tad over her head...

Anyway...joss whedon had none too kind things to say about feige's stewardship when he left. Avengers was one of the best superhero movies made...so why they cracked down on him for ultron is beyond me.

And across the hall...Kennedy gave 100% directors perogative...unless you're gareth Edwards which will ultimately hold up the best.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Feige gives off a kinda creepy John lasseter "too much power" vibe to me.

Kinda like Kathy Kennedy seems to be a tad over her head...

Anyway...joss whedon had none too kind things to say about feige's stewardship when he left. Avengers was one of the best superhero movies made...so why they cracked down on him for ultron is beyond me.

And across the hall...Kennedy gave 100% directors perogative...unless you're gareth Edwards which will ultimately hold up the best.

Sure, but the MCU thrived after Whedon left. In fact Ultron is probably one of the weaker movies of the franchise. Feige had done something very unusual in cinema: a multi movie connected universe that had spanned 20+ films, and almost all the films are good. That's something, and until he proves otherwise I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's saturated yet or coming close because they keep telling different kinds of stories.

And that's the point about saturation. Saturation has little to do with how many movies they put out and more to do with the quality of the stories. Take Spider Man as an example. He was easily an oversaturated character, going on his second reboot in 15 years... But with Homecoming, they created a fresh take and a good story, and it was a success. For another example take the DCU. Looking at their slate of movies, one could either conclude that no one had interest in DC properties or that super hero movies were done. Yet neither is true. Wonder Woman did well and is one of the top movies of the year because of good storytelling and compelling characterization. Justice League couldn't even be saved by Joss Wheadon because of lackluster characterization and poor writing. Yet Justice League was opposite another, extremely successful superhero movie, Thor Ragnarok, which as mentioned above was a completely fresh approach to Thor.

If Marvel continues to tell good stories, they can release as many movies as they want without saturating the market. If they start to become formulaic and tell poorly written stories with flat characterization, then they will fall flat and eventually people will lose interest. I don't think they are anywhere close to that yet.

Phicinfan

No ceiling to that, huh? No audience fatigue?

Can't happen?

...I wasn't aware that thoughts were ONLY permitted in the box with a google search.
Absolutely it could, however, this deal will at worst delay it. By now having even more new characters and more importantly new areas to expand the MCU and catch the attention of differing audiences. The fact they were able to do this, and hopefully implement it before the "tried and true" "A" listers are gone, is a huge benefit. They can literally write their own new ticket for a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom