News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Rodan75

I think it all gets concentrated down honestly. That's Alan Horne's/Bob's strategy, it has paid off for them. As you mention it is healthy for the Superhero genre, it was getting out of control.

Walt Disney Studio's releases 3-4
Pixar releases 1-2
WDAS releases 1-2
Lucasfilm releases 1 (2 if Indy becomes a brand)
Marvel releases 3-4 (as opposed to its current 2-3 with Fox's planned 3 per year)
21st Century Fox will then do 3-4 (loss of its 3 Marvel and further consolidation)

They give themselves 3 weeks in between tentpole releases in effect.

Fox Searchlight does whatever, Blue Sky I honestly think is going to be sold to another studio.

Blue Sky is disappointing, but they have a pretty strong international pull. I could see them continuing to be positioned against Illumination for lighter / pop culture animated movies, maybe 1 a year or 1 every 2.

I think they will have the Fox brands do more than 3-4 a year, but not what they are doing now.

BrianLo

Blue Sky is disappointing, but they have a pretty strong international pull. I could see them continuing to be positioned against Illumination for lighter / pop culture animated movies, maybe 1 a year or 1 every 2.

I think they will have the Fox brands do more than 3-4 a year, but not what they are doing now.

I just don't see how it fits. Bob has demonstrated before that he will slash at lesser studios (dismantling Disney Toon's direct to video operation) or even ending the Pixar Vancouver studio. Or even the Orlando branch of WDAS. The story trust would be unwilling to let Blue Sky operate as is - low brow animated movies are something they pride themselves on avoiding under this leadership.

So the question becomes do they turn it into Pixar the 3rd? Kind of pointless. If Disney wants to distribute more animated films they will beef up their existing studios with much more brand awareness. The only way I see it surviving in Disney is to produce direct to consumer programming for the new streaming service.

It's weird out of all the things an animation studio seems the hardest to integrate. Especially one in connecticut.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I just don't see how it fits. Bob has demonstrated before that he will slash at lesser studios (dismantling Disney Toon's direct to video operation) or even ending the Pixar Vancouver studio. The story trust would be unwilling to let Blue Sky operate as is - low brow animated movies are something they pride themselves on avoiding under this leadership.

So the question becomes do they turn it into Pixar the 3rd? Kind of pointless. If Disney wants to distribute more animated films they will beef up their existing studios with much more brand awareness. The only way I see it surviving in Disney is to produce direct to consumer programming for the new streaming service.

It's weird out of all the things an animation studio seems the hardest to integrate.

I am hoping for Blue Sky to revitalize the Tinker Bell movie franchise. :D

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would you spoil yourself on the whole movie before seeing it? I'm a huge SW fan, but i've purposefully stayed away from spoilers and even trailers. The only thing Star Wars i've seen recently was re-watching TFA getting ready to see TLJ tonight.

I did that two years ago...and learned my lesson.

I would have enjoyed it much more had I known it was a reboot.

If it makes you feel better...as an old,
Crotchety (not millennial) Star Wars fan...I think I'm gonna LOVE this.

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

I just don't see how it fits. Bob has demonstrated before that he will slash at lesser studios (dismantling Disney Toon's direct to video operation) or even ending the Pixar Vancouver studio. Or even the Orlando branch of WDAS. The story trust would be unwilling to let Blue Sky operate as is - low brow animated movies are something they pride themselves on avoiding under this leadership.

It's weird out of all the things an animation studio seems the hardest to integrate. Especially one in connecticut.
There are plenty of companies that would love to buy BlueSky. So that seems likely. John and Ed were trying to eventually reach four films a year from WDAS and Pixar, no need for BlueSky in terms of capacity.

Speaking of which, how does the ongoing sexual misconduct issue play into this deal? Disney has more skeletons in its closet, but what about Fox, outside of FNC?

the.dreamfinder

So I get to my AMC. Every single theatre is unavailable as every single projector went down....
That happened last July to me with Spider Man on Thursday night previews. Everybody got two free tickets and refunds because they couldn’t get the DCP unlocked after thirty minutes plus past showtime. Gotta love DRM!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That happened last July to me with Spider Man on Thursday night previews. Everybody got two free tickets and refunds because they couldn’t get the DCP unlocked after thirty minutes plus past showtime. Gotta love DRM!

One employee finally admired the problem. The file thw y received is corrupted. Had nothing to do with a malfunctioning projector

bclane

Running random thoughts on the acquisition...
1) I'm now even more upset that the Great Movie Ride is being replaced by Mickey's Runaway Railway (instead of Runaway Railway being a new build). Could you imagine an update of the Great Movie Ride with all of just Disney owned properties now? Leave in Alien, Raiders and Fantasia. Add in Sound of Music (or any of the Rodgers and Hammerstein films), The French Connection, Young Frankenstein, Planet of the Apes, Cleopatra, The Robe, The Seven Year Itch, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Mary Poppins, and M*A*S*H. Not to mention Shirley Temple films, Fred Astaire with Daddy Long Legs, The Three Stooges, and so much more in this incredible film library.

2) They better not screw up the upcoming streaming service by only focusing on the new material in the catalog.

3) It somehow slipped my attention that Disney now owns Firefly. I'm determined now that Star Tours should be replaced by a Firefly smuggling run attraction.

4) It's a shame Hollywood Studios no longer has a New York Street section, which would be perfect for a Miracle on 34th Street Christmas overlay/celebration.

5) The Southern California Adventures by Disney trip better now include a Studio Tour of the Classic 20th Century Fox lot.
Disney now owns Firefly?! HOLY COW!!! Oh please Mickey let there be a Firefly ride someday!!!

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Someone within The Simpsons production must have a crystal ball or time-machine.
simpsons-disney-vs-fox-1998.jpg

Hmm... Family Guy gets it right a lot too!

In retrospect; I guess having soothsayers and quantum leapers working for the Mouse House makes for good business acumen.

Last edited:

spock8113

You have to look past Star Wars.
Way too many pros and cons to post here,but hold on there.

This acquisition has to go before the SEC to make sure it doesn't create a
public-sucking megalith.
A T & T was told they can't buy Time-Warner without getting rid of Comcast/Universal.
That's going to court.
Maybe Mary Barra can put in a good word to help this along!

No negativity, just some information.
Personally, I more cons than pros.

Captain Neo

We already are getting Marvel stuff in the Orlando parks or did you miss the announcement of a Guardians Of the Galaxy e-ticket being built at Epcot Center as we speak? The conversation is moot at this point it’s not like the spider man ride would get moved to the Disney parks if they all of a sudden got the rights back anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom