News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Quinnmac000

You completely missed all the Fox assets in Latin America that Disney now owns. I think Disney will wind up number 1 in Central and South America. They will also do much better in the EU than you think. Sky may stay number 1 but they will shrink as more and more customers switch to streaming.

Disney would have to beat out Netflix and Globo Play to become the number one in south america which already accounts for 20% of the population.

I mean according to app annie these already the most popular and I also used that to help assist me in making me list.
app_annie_ott_video_market.jpg

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Disney would have to beat out Netflix and Globo Play to become the number one in south america which already accounts for 20% of the population.

I mean according to app annie these already the most popular and I also used that to help assist me in making me list.
app_annie_ott_video_market.jpg

Netflix Brazil has all Disney movies and a lot of Fox movies. A big reason for its popularity. Those will all be gone. That's something you have to account for in your list, which you don't seem to be doing. Disney/Hulu will be required to produce local content in a lot of countries they launch. That is something Iger touched on and something those countries require.

Just an opinion....

True. I disagree with them too, not because motleyfool is wrong all the time because they aren't. I disagree because of the floor valuation and Disney didn't get anything extra when they could have.

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

Consolidation and M&A should be expected in the movie industry over the next few months/years. As we said in the last page there should only be about 4 or 5 winners in this race (+ the ones that can cater to a niche like the NBC one). I think Columbia/SPE, Lionsgate, Paramount, MGM are all attractive targets that Netflix, Amazon, Apple should be interested in. Problem is there'll be less theatrical releases as none of the aforementioned ones really have an interest in that, but they'll gain a significant amount of content and a hell of a production company.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
More creators locked down today.

Maybe they really are thinking about a Pirates of The Caribbean Tv show. Overall a good get, these guys have a nice adventure series background.

The HuluD+ beast must be fed!!

D+ulu?

Dthulu? Like Cthulu! That's the ticket!

Last edited:

mab7689

Consolidation and M&A should be expected in the movie industry over the next few months/years. As we said in the last page there should only be about 4 or 5 winners in this race (+ the ones that can cater to a niche like the NBC one). I think Columbia/SPE, Lionsgate, Paramount, MGM are all attractive targets that Netflix, Amazon, Apple should be interested in. Problem is there'll be less theatrical releases as none of the aforementioned ones really have an interest in that, but they'll gain a significant amount of content and a hell of a production company.
Isn't Paramount owned by Viacom? I do agree that Sony selling up and Lionsgate are probably next though.

bartholomr4

Isn't Paramount owned by Viacom? I do agree that Sony selling up and Lionsgate are probably next though.

Paramount, Viacom and CBS are separate companies, all of which use to be part of the same company, but split in 1994. They are controlled by Sumner Redstone, and there has been a pitched battle over control of the companies, as his competence has been challenged by his daughter Sherry Redstone, who also owns positions in the company and stands to inherit his controlling stake once he passes. The boards have been talking about a combination (or re=merging), but recently decided not to merge (or talk about it any further) until next year.

It appears to me, all this fighting over control is putting these combined assets at risk and behind Disney and Comcast, as it has a bunch of assets already, but is not pursuing the talent or creating the IP / Content that Disney and Netflix are producing.

Not sure either what Starz gets or how it would be viewed as strategic, when they need to put their humpty dumpty self (Paramont, Viacom and CBS) back together again.

I agree we should watch Sony as a company to make a move here soon! Sony announced a big stock buy back this week, trying to support its stock price, because it is struggling with its bread and butter video game business, and electronics. Columbia pictures is an attractive asset but (my opinion) has never been core to Sony. I would like to see them sell the Spiderverse rights back to Marvel, but think it is a long shot as there wouldn't be much left to Columbia if they did....

Last edited:

Indy_UK

Apple will be shopping around to buy a studio before long once their streaming service goes belly up. Luckily I think Disney/Fox are now too big to be purchased by Apple

Last edited:

Quinnmac000

Paramount, Viacom and CBS are separate companies, all of which use to be part of the same company, but split in 1994. They are controlled by Sumner Redstone, and there has been a pitched battle over control of the companies, as his competence has been challenged by his daughter Sherry Redstone, who also owns positions in the company and stands to inherit his controlling stake once he passes. The boards have been talking about a combination (or re=merging), but recently decided not to merge (or talk about it any further) until next year.

It appears to me, all this fighting over control is putting these combined assets at risk and behind Disney and Comcast, as it has a bunch of assets already, but is not pursuing the talent or creating the IP / Content that Disney and Netflix are producing.

Not sure either what Starz gets or how it would be viewed as strategic, when they need to put their humpty dumpty self (Paramont, Viacom and CBS) back together again.

Content is king. Distribution of content now is also more important with DTC. Lionsgate owning Starz gives more homes for their in house projects for monetization.

Which highlights my biggest problem right now actually with Disney and Comcast. They are letting these little guys and Netflix buy up all the foreign content creators because they believed in the strength of US media for so long that they are no behind the curve now they want to go international and others have already moved in.

mab7689

I agree we should watch Sony as a company to make a move here soon! Sony announced a big stock buy back this week, trying to support its stock price, because it is struggling with its bread and butter video game business, and electronics. Columbia pictures is an attractive asset but (my opinion) has never been core to Sony. I would like to see them sell the Spiderverse rights back to Marvel, but think it is a long shot as there wouldn't be much left to Columbia if they did....

I know CBS split from them and they're trying to merge again but Paramount are still under Viacom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190518-115753_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190518-115753_Chrome.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Quinnmac000

I don't think the public would look at it too kindly though would they?

People won't care as Apple doesn't have a bad reputation compared to other companies right now. People complained about the disney fox merger due to what would happen to theatricals and how Disney's contract affects releases of smaller studio and middle budget and low budget films as well as other issues but it didn't matter.

bartholomr4

People won't care as Apple doesn't have a bad reputation compared to other companies right now. People complained about the disney fox merger due to what would happen to theatricals and how Disney's contract affects releases of smaller studio and middle budget and low budget films as well as other issues but it didn't matter.

This week the Supreme Court agreed to hear a case about Apple and the App Store. (i.e. Apple forcing companies to pay 30 % of their revenue to sell services through the Apple IOS). I think Apple is going to wait until the Supreme Court draws some lines around how Apple monetizes the AppStore and with the Apple Ecosystem [perception the ecosystem is now becoming monopolistic]. With apple TV and the apple operating system so prevalent, taking on a studio they risk poking the bear a little and reinforcing the "I have to go through apple and give them 30% of my revenue to operate" perception, appears to me to be the signal they are sending.

With Bob Iger on the board of directors, and Steve Job's wife being one of the to 3 or 4 shareholders in Disney, they are connected to the coming Disney model. I think the move by apple is more complicated than one might think. Heck, Apple could have picked up the RSN's for about one month of revenue and made a big jump into sports programming..... If they were going to be aggressive in the content business, they could have purchased these networks for a little more than twice what they paid for BEATS, which as a company turned out to be a rounding error in their income statement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom