News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Darkprime

Avatar producer Jon Landau says while hes sad Fox chose to sell hes glad it was Disney who bought Fox.

"We're very sad the Murdochs chose to sell the company," says Cameron's producer at Lightstorm Entertainment, Jon Landau. "But if they're going to sell the company, there's nobody better than Disney to sell it to. They get Avatar in terms of what its potential is, not just as a movie but as a franchise."

Crossfire

Weird how we heard almost nothing from the Film side, I wonder if they're still figuring things out.

bartholomr4

My Favorite Part:

"On other topics, Rice listed Netflix, AT&T and Comcast as Disney’s biggest competitors in terms of scale. He noted that the company has a head start in the streaming wars with Hulu, which is now majority owned by Disney, and referenced remarks by Disney’s Bib Iger and Kevin Mayer that the company is interested in taking full control of the streaming platform but would not elaborate on that."

AnotherDayAnotherDollar

My Favorite Part:

"On other topics, Rice listed Netflix, AT&T and Comcast as Disney’s biggest competitors in terms of scale. He noted that the company has a head start in the streaming wars with Hulu, which is now majority owned by Disney, and referenced remarks by Disney’s Bib Iger and Kevin Mayer that the company is interested in taking full control of the streaming platform but would not elaborate on that."

I feel very confident they are getting AT&T's 10% equity before the end of the year. Maybe by mid year. However, I'm not sure Comcast is selling any time soon, but will eventually sell. At least that's the impression NBCU's president left us with from his interview a month or two back.

Rodan75

I feel very confident they are getting AT&T's 10% equity before the end of the year. Maybe by mid year. However, I'm not sure Comcast is selling any time soon, but will eventually sell. At least that's the impression NBCU's president left us with from his interview a month or two back.

I agree. AT&T has a driving need to sell and Disney has a driving need to buy. So I think that is a done deal. There is no incentive for Comcast to bid against Disney with AT&T.

Comcast won't sell until they are competing in the space and are able to extract the highest possible price from Disney, but I think much of this is contingent on the HULU partnership agreement. Because HULU has never had a majority owner, we don't know how much power over the service it really has. Iger has admitted they can't do anything they want, just because they are the majority partner.

Slpy3270

Disney will be holding a huge upfronts presentation in May. Not only will ABC and ESPN be highlighted together for the first time ever, but they will be joined by Freeform, FX and Nat Geo as well.

The Disney-branded channels, i.e. Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior, have their own separate upfronts presentation.

bartholomr4

I agree. AT&T has a driving need to sell and Disney has a driving need to buy. So I think that is a done deal. There is no incentive for Comcast to bid against Disney with AT&T.

Comcast won't sell until they are competing in the space and are able to extract the highest possible price from Disney, but I think much of this is contingent on the HULU partnership agreement. Because HULU has never had a majority owner, we don't know how much power over the service it really has. Iger has admitted they can't do anything they want, just because they are the majority partner.

Yep..... A big tell will come when Disney announces they are taking Hulu international and the cost to do so is $5 Billion or more.... Comcast's reaction to paying 30% of that cost will be very instructive.

Darkprime

There is still a great deal to come with the merger, including more asset sales, and the evolution of the various organizations within the Disney Umbrella and how they work together and develop. I sure would vote to continue the dialogue.

Maybe the thread title could do with an update to something a bit more relevant?

Rodan75

Yep..... A big tell will come when Disney announces they are taking Hulu international and the cost to do so is $5 Billion or more.... Comcast's reaction to paying 30% of that cost will be very instructive.

I suspect it will go like this. Disney pitches HULU international expansion starting in the EU. Comcast says no. It perks up EU regulatory because Comcast - Sky is blocking competition, because Disney promises local production of X dollars. Comcast backs down and sells.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Maybe the thread title could do with an update to something a bit more relevant?

That's why I started this thread...

This way, ongoing integration can be discussed without the baggage of the actual acquisition.

Quinnmac000

I suspect it will go like this. Disney pitches HULU international expansion starting in the EU. Comcast says no. It perks up EU regulatory because Comcast - Sky is blocking competition, because Disney promises local production of X dollars. Comcast backs down and sells.

I don't think its gonna go down that way. EU is where they will start but its not because they want to.

1st, sky is trying to integrate the Xfinity now app aggregation tech into their systems which they won't do anything that will hurt their cause on that because it provides a lot of data for Comcast. (essentially it takes all the streaming services and lets you watch whatever you want by switching to whatever service has a series automatically such as if Netflix has season 1 and season 2 of a show and prime has season 3 and Hulu has season 4 and you are trying to binge watch, the system will automatically switch to whatever service for you to continuously watch)

2ndly, Hulu really isn't a competitor for a free service which NBC is trying to push into the EU. If Sky is expanding and all Sky customers get the basic NBCU streaming service for free than its not really a huge deal for Hulu to come into as a SVOD.

3rd, there is multiple EU based television companies going into streaming. Partnering on a SVOD reduces the stress and burden on Comcast. They already have one successful streaming serving Hayu in the UK but with the upcoming market saturation for paid SVOD, its gonna get crowded in the next few months.

As to why they wil start with the EU, Japan, Korea, China all have huge barriers to entry to include cheap cable television access, free access to cable content, lack of foreign IP protection laws, as well as some other factors. EU would be the easiest starting point.

bartholomr4

Or Disney with their 60% decides to do it anyway, and pays for the expansion itself, and waters down Comcast's equity.

Indy_UK

Surely the only reason why Comcast wouldnt sell their 30% is becuase they don't have much faith in their streaming services doing well?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom