News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

CaptainAmerica

@MisterPenguin , I hope you are getting all these inside scoops from CaptainAmerica. This is some good stuff. He told us:

• Deadpool 3 will not be a part of MCU (nor any Deadpool solo films)
  • none of the actors who played the characters from X-Men will be in the marvel movies moving forward
  • a new Deadpool may appear in the marvel universe
  • there will be two sets of some characters in the marvel movies (ie same character in two universes not relating to each other)
  • X-men movies are dead (I don't see you Dark Phoenix)
  • Deadpool was not part of the X-Men Universe (despite visiting Xavier Institute)
  • Disney will have two Marvel Universes moving forward
I never said half of those things.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
@MisterPenguin , I hope you are getting all these inside scoops from CaptainAmerica. This is some good stuff. He told us:

• Deadpool 3 will not be a part of MCU (nor any Deadpool solo films)
  • none of the actors who played the characters from X-Men will be in the marvel movies moving forward
  • a new Deadpool may appear in the marvel universe
  • there will be two sets of some characters in the marvel movies (ie same character in two universes not relating to each other)
  • X-men movies are dead (I don't see you Dark Phoenix)
  • Deadpool was not part of the X-Men Universe (despite visiting Xavier Institute)
  • Disney will have two Marvel Universes moving forward

I choose to stay out of this.

:p

tomast

Deadpool was never part of the Singerverse, that's my point. Even under Fox and even with X-Men appearing in his films, he was never part of the Hugh Jackman continuity.

(Yes, I know they said he was. They lied to appease fanboys. There's no on screen evidence of it whatsoever in the films.)

The X-Men movies are dead, but I don't think Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is. I think there will still be a Deadpool 3 set in the old universe prior to any MCU reboot.

I agree, but through some gimmick of marketing or branding, the solo films won't be MCU mainline continuity. They'll exist somewhere else, like the Ultimate universe from the comics if you're familiar with it.

How do you figure? I could easily see a post-credits scene on Endgame or Black Panther 2 where Wakandan scientists are in a lab studying so-and-so who has unusual DNA.

I could also see a reverse House of M storyline where Wanda goes insane from the loss of Vision and introduces Mutants to the universe with her hex power.

They did it in Fox just fine. Deadpool interacts with Colossus, but it's not the same Colossus from X1.

Maybe they can put Deadpool universe in the MCU. Not a main but maybe using the same Colossus, and voila!

Deadpool is the only marvel-fox that deserved been saved.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a major reboot/ restart of the whole entire thing within a few years to bring it all together- X-Men, Fantastic Four, Avengers, etc all as part of one unified MCU. It's possible that may be tied into the current MCU, but because it's likely they'll be working with so many new actors I wouldnt' be surprised to see even a separate MCU with them all together. It's not like that's never happened in the comics (over and over and over again...)

Avengers Days of future past

Ripken10

Show me where I said "there will be two sets of some characters in the marvel movies (ie same character in two universes not relating to each other)."
- There will not be two sets of characters. Deadpool interacts with other Marvel characters. If you wall him off from all things Marvel you’ll kill the franchise.

They did it in Fox just fine. Deadpool interacts with Colossus, but it's not the same Colossus from X1.

Lucky Rabbit

Deadpool was never part of the Singerverse, that's my point. Even under Fox and even with X-Men appearing in his films, he was never part of the Hugh Jackman continuity.

(Yes, I know they said he was. They lied to appease fanboys. There's no on screen evidence of it whatsoever in the films.)
Minus actual X-Men and the Xavier Institute....

How do you figure? I could easily see a post-credits scene on Endgame or Black Panther 2 where Wakandan scientists are in a lab studying so-and-so who has unusual DNA.

I could also see a reverse House of M storyline where Wanda goes insane from the loss of Vision and introduces Mutants to the universe with her hex power.
Because of the kind of movie Eternals will be it could setup Mutants, but it won’t be about Mutants. Considering how the MCU slate is locked in for the next few years, I’m not sure they’ll do an Endgame tease and then people have to wait years.

They offered the part to the guy who had most recently played Colossus, but he wasn’t available. So when they recast him they just made a comic book accurate Colossus.

But that’s my point you think Feige will ok multiple versions of characters? Colossus, Cable, and Juggernaut are important X-Men characters.

CaptainAmerica

Because of the kind of movie Eternals will be it could setup Mutants, but it won’t be about Mutants. Considering how the MCU slate is locked in for the next few years, I’m not sure they’ll do an Endgame tease and then people have to wait years.
The MCU slate is never "locked in."

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Phase3.jpg

Lucky Rabbit

The MCU slate is never "locked in."

https:///wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Phase3.jpg
Things happen, such as the Spider-Man deal killing Inhumans (though their use in the SHIELD tv show also contributed).

This is the announced slate:

Spider-Man: Far From Home (7-5-2019)
Untitled movie #1 (5-1-2020)
Untitled movie #2 (11-6-2020)
Untitled movie #3 (2-12-2021)
Untitled movie #4 (5-7-2021)
Untitled movie #5 (11-5-2021)
Untitled movie #6 (2-18-2022)
Untitled movie #7 (5-6-2022)
Untitled movie #8 (7-29-2022)

These movies are locked in:

Spider-Man: Far From Home (7-5-2019)
Black Widow (5-1-2020)
The Eternals (11-6-2020)
Black Panther 2 (2-12-2021)
Doctor Strange 2 (5-7-2021)

Black Widow and Eternals are filming this year. Black Panther 2 and Doctor Strange 2 are unlikely to move. Especially considering Fox Marvel characters will need scripts, directors, and casting.

This is the first spot things could change:

Untitled movie #5 (11-5-2021) — Likely Shang-Chi and they’ve already hired the director. This movie will likely make massive amounts of money in the Asian markets, which we don’t always consider, but there’s financial reasons they’re elevating a character most people in this country don’t care about.

Untitled movie #6 (2-18-2022)

Untitled movie #7 (5-6-2022) — Likely Guardians 3 based off when Gunn should be finishing up Suicide Squad 2.

Untitled movie #8 (7-29-2022)

So you have two open spots there. Movie #8 will almost 100% be Spider-Man 3 unless Sony doesn’t re-up. Leaving movie #6 to be a Fox Marvel property or Captain Marvel 2, Ant-Man 3, Thor 4 (if he lives). I’d bet on Captain Marvel 2.

It doesn’t mean they won’t soft reboot them throughout these movies. The Strange 2 director tweeted out a picture of Strange with Namor. His movie rights are tangled up with Univeral similar to the Hulk. He’s Marvel’s version of Aquaman, but also considered a mutant.

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Surprising yet not too shocking. Fox 2000 was basically Searchlight-lite, and having more than two Fox-branded divisions would've made no strategic sense.

Still puts a shadow over Fox Family Entertainment, though, which I presume will be absorbed into Disney's own family units. That being said, I still expect Blue Sky to hang around.

Speaking of, 20th Television's president Greg Meidel has also been released, certainly meaning that 20th Television will be absorbed into Disney-ABC Domestic Television.

UPDATE: Fox consumer products chief also released, meaning Fox's consumer products unit will be absorbed into Disney Parks, Experiences and Products. A real shame, since he had only been on the job for about a year and a half (he left DreamWorks Animation after Universal took control of the studio).

Last edited:

Slpy3270

Hopefully Netflix and Amazon can pick up some of Fox's old talent.

I think the major studios are more desperate in trying to court them. Stacey Snider is on WB's shortlist of candidates to replace Kevin Tsujihara, who was fired just a couple days ago, and Viacom's head called the merger a "hiring opportunity" before it closed.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Email from Bob Iger to All Employees this morning!

I’m proud to announce the acquisition is complete and 21st Century Fox is now part of The Walt Disney Company. I’d like to welcome our new colleagues, and thank employees on both sides of the deal for your patience and perseverance as we worked through the lengthy acquisition and regulatory process.

As you know, Disney has never been short on ambition. We’ve never been satisfied with the status quo, and our vision for this transformative era is our boldest yet. We are rapidly transforming our company to take full advantage of evolving consumer trends and emerging technology in order to thrive in this new and exciting time.

Our acquisition of 21st Century Fox was driven by our strong belief that the addition of these great businesses, brands, franchises and talent will allow us to move faster, reach farther and aim higher – especially when it comes to building direct connections with consumers.

I wish I could tell you that the hardest part is behind us; that closing the deal was the finish line, rather than just the next milestone. What lies ahead is the challenging work of uniting our businesses to create a dynamic, global entertainment company with the content, the platforms, and the reach to deliver industry-defining experiences that will engage consumers around the world for generations to come.

We’ve spent the last year exploring the new opportunities and synergies generated by bringing our two legendary companies together. Leaders across both organizations have worked closely together to understand how to best unlock this potential and unleash innovation and creativity to generate long-term growth. We’re confident in our integration strategy and in our ability to execute it effectively; and we’re inspired and energized by the new possibilities.

Our integration process will be an evolution, with some businesses impacted more than others. We’ve made many critical decisions already, but some areas still require further evaluation. We may not have answers to all of your questions at this moment, but we understand how vital information is, and we’re committed to moving as quickly as possible to provide clarity regarding how your role may be impacted.

Having been on both sides of numerous acquisitions during my career, I have a deep appreciation for how this one impacts everyone involved, on both a personal and professional level. I understand the challenges, and I ask for your continued patience in the days to come as we combine this collection of great assets to create the world’s premier entertainment company.

Iger should get a job as a parade performer, since he did an amazing job dancing around the issue of layoffs. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom