News Disney and Fox come to terms -- announcement soon; huge IP acquisition

Club Cooloholic

As a big Star Wars fan myself I personally don't want to see the Fox logo before the new films. I know its nostalgic but they were never Fox's films to begin with, just Lucas's. I do however wish they would create a simple fanfare for the Lucasfilm logo .
I never lnew people were sp passionate about the production logos before films. Did Fox finance or distribute the originals?

mab7689

I'm not bothered about the Fox logo at the start of Star Wars but one big thing I'm hoping for (and I've said it before in this thread many pages back) from this, as a huge Star Wars fan, is acquiring the rights to the Original Trilogy leading to an official remaster and re-release of them in their theatrical, unedited form. I have Star Wars Despecialized, but legitimate, official blu rays would be brilliant.

ABQ

I'm not bothered about the Fox logo at the start of Star Wars but one big thing I'm hoping for (and I've said it before in this thread many pages back) from this, as a huge Star Wars fan, is acquiring the rights to the Original Trilogy leading to an official remaster and re-release of them in their theatrical, unedited form. I have Star Wars Despecialized, but legitimate, official blu rays would be brilliant.
Further, you know Disney wants those rights too, as it would, yet again, give them another reason to release another DVD set for a few dollars more.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Further, you know Disney wants those rights too, as it would, yet again, give them another reason to release another DVD set for a few dollars more.
I'm not sure they have the rights to those. I heard somewhere that part of the sale included stipulations that episodes iv-vi would be preserved as George Lucas wanted them to be, that is to say the special editions.

mab7689

I don't know the legalities. I'm aware Lucas doesn't want them released but if there's no legal restrictions it's a case of George's wishes and good faith vs fan demand and income opportunity.

Darkprime

Are we expecting any updates on approvals at the investor call tomorrow? Iger was pretty hush hush on it last quarter. And barely even mentioned the merger. When almost everyone was expecting a close date.

Slpy3270

Mexico update: The Federal Commission of Economic Competition has approved the deal, but it will now be reviewed by the country's Federal Telecommunications Institute in regards to the sports channels (link in Spanish).

mab7689

Mexico update: The Federal Commission of Economic Competition has approved the deal, but it will now be reviewed by the country's Federal Telecommunications Institute in regards to the sports channels (link in Spanish).

Im confused what that means. Is that approval with conditions?

So will passing onto this IFT be another regulatory hurdle or can we cross Mexico off the list now?

Slpy3270

So will passing onto this IFT be another regulatory hurdle or can we cross Mexico off the list now?

Not quite. IFT and COFECE are different agencies and can review the deal independently. It's like how the FCC and DOJ review mergers between broadcasting firms.

Darkprime

Pretty sure COFECE Is the main anti-trust regulator in mexico isnt it? What happens from here we wont hear about it. If COFECE approved it IFT most likely will.

Slpy3270

Pretty sure COFECE Is the main anti-trust regulator in mexico isnt it? What happens from here we wont hear about it. If COFECE approved it IFT most likely will.

The IFT is challenging the approval, per the article, because not enough time was given to assess the impact on sports (at least that's how I interpret it).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom