Disney alienates 90% of their guests......What is going on?

Cruzin_PA

I have to agree I have been coming to the parks since 1978 as a kid. We have always stayed on property, but when we go this Nov, we are staying at the Swan. I know its a quasi on/off property property but its getting to be just to much to go for what we are getting for the premiums or deluxe. We love staying on the Monorail so we usually stay near it. The big 3 and Wilderness Lodge as you could walk to Poly and catch the monorail. My wife has been to Boardwalk before she was my wife so I guess that counts too LOL. Its going to be an experiment for us with Swan, see how she does walking to Epcot and HS. But what we saved staying there over the others kinda got her attention. I dont think she will be as (how do I say this) Disney satisfied with the place, but I know in future I will be looking outside the parks in future. Now whether I win that fight remains to be seen. But for no perks right now to me it was good, maybe I can get her a Dessert Party for her birthday or something
For us, the difference between the Swan/Dolphin and Wilderness lodge for 8 nights is only $65 a day. Don't get me wrong, that adds up, but not a significant savings to want/need to make the move. If Disney releases discounts, then those savings would be in Disney's favor, and with the additional announced perks, it would be worth staying with Disney.

JIMINYCR

Makes no sense to me.....You're willing to pay more for less......what if they took the water away in the room because water is too expensive for a value resort? Obviously trying to make a point and the point is, where is your line where you say they took too much away for not only what i pay, but for what i can get offsite for a cheaper price and higher quality
I'm willing to pay to stay where I want because the things theyve taken away arent important to me or things I will not miss because I dont use them. So I'm not being affected by what I dont miss. The only thing I do miss from the list given is the EMH's but our trips are lengthy enough that we get to do all we want in the time we have. My bottom line is going to be different than what others would have. Everyone has their breaking point. Mine happens to be excessive crowding and lines. When I cant tolerate what I'm facing in the parks then Ill fold. But the resorts we stay at are worth the money paid out for what I am expecting. My ability to pay may be different than others so when and if the cost goes up to where I think its unreasonable for me to shell out my money for the place I book, I'll look offsite.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
We pay big dollars to stay at a deluxe resort. Twice as much as much as a value resort, so before you wine about it, you know that extra time in the park is not worth it for you. It is to me, and I pay through the nose for it.

Thank you Disney for giving us people who pay for everything in the park, finally giving us something. Anytime you want to join us rooms are there!
Wine
wine pouring GIF

Whine
200.gif

jpinkc

For us, the difference between the Swan/Dolphin and Wilderness lodge for 8 nights is only $65 a day. Don't get me wrong, that adds up, but not a significant savings to want/need to make the move. If Disney releases discounts, then those savings would be in Disney's favor, and with the additional announced perks, it would be worth staying with Disney.
This will be a short Nov trip for us as its my wifes birthday the week of Thanksgiving so it is saving us for just the 4 nights about 2000. Over the GF could not book any other Deluxe and other option was Boardwalk which was still higher as all it had was villas.

HeartOfTeFiti

We love staying on the Monorail so we usually stay near it. The big 3 and Wilderness Lodge as you could walk to Poly and catch the monorail.
What? I can't imagine any possible way that you walked from the Wilderness Lodge to The Polynesian.

Edit: I've done some digging and it does appear to be possible but it sure doesn't sound pleasant. This from another trip planning site:
"The distance between Disney's Wilderness Lodge Resort to the Disney's Polynesian Village Resort is a little under 1 mile but it is not recommended to walk it because it is a very busy, high traffic area without a lot of sidewalks. You would be walking on the side of the road or in grass"

OP- I don't know why I fixated on this. It just stuck out to me since we like to walk everywhere and never even knew this was possible.
We stick to well known paths and avoid walking in traffic or in grass, but I learned something new, so there's that.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

This is Disney’s perfect visitor to WDW, and there are many of them. There are also many who fly:
Yes I can accept no DME because I would rather fly in any event and besides gas prices are at a 7 year high.
I can accept no free parking because I flew in.

A big requirement of being a WDW fan is the ability to rationalize everything.
Disney wins again.
A big requirement of being a consumer of anything is deciding what is of value to you and what you are willing to pay for what you want. We all are different in how we see value in Disney things and what we tolerate. Disney will continue winning because a majority of guests will pay for the Disney experience period. All life is rationalizing what is important or not to the individual.
When I travel to other places, I'm choosing my stays on what I'm wanting in a hotel. I usually dont eat breakfast so even though the hotel offers free coffee and breakfast, I dont use it. That doesnt mean my stay there is devalued because I dont use what is free. I also dont swim in the hotel pools or use their exercise equipment in their gyms. That also doesnt mean my stay is less and I'm being taken advantage of by the hotel chains.

HouCuseChickie

While I haven't priced rental houses (since I've seen some really nice options from friends), if I wanted to go next month to celebrate my bday at WDW...I could spend 6 nights at BC for $3,725 (priced on Travelocity + parking fees) or I could spend $1,800 (includes resort fees) for the same number of nights at the Waldorf. If you asked me 5 years ago, I'd still willingly fork over the $ to stay on property and said it was worth it. We stayed at BWV back in February and came to the conclusion that it's no longer worth it...even if they do extend more perks to deluxe guests. Before Covid, I remember people often saying that deluxe guests should receive more perks due to the significantly higher price tag, but I don't think anyone meant "take perks away from values and mods and include some of those perks into the price of a deluxe." Mind you, we're giving Disney a long break, but I can't see us bothering with staying onsite whenever we do return...unless it's a good deal.

Rob562

Will do, thanks! Any particular positive experiences you’ve had with hotels that are cheaper than All Star though? I do like the idea of parking at DS and using transportation. Solves one of my concerns.

In early December 2019 we stayed 7 nights at the Best Western on Hotel Plaza Blvd. (Now closed for renovation/expansion into a Rosen property, I believe) We paid $815 including tax and resort fee, or ~$116/night.
We used their bus service about 2/3 of the time and were pretty happy with it. The other times we used Uber to get to early-morning plans. We also used Uber to/from the airport. At the time, we got EMH and 60-day FP+ access.

Room was bigger and better-appointed than an All Stars room, though it did need the refurbishment it's now getting.

With the Best Western closed, I'd suggest looking at the Holiday Inn or the B Resort. Both can often be found for similar price points, especially through sites like Orbitz or direct with the hotel with a AAA discount.

-Rob

HeartOfTeFiti

A big requirement of being a consumer of anything is deciding what is of value to you and what you are willing to pay for what you want. We all are different in how we see value in Disney things and what we tolerate. Disney will continue winning because a majority of guests will pay for the Disney experience period. All life is rationalizing what is important or not to the individual.
When I travel to other places, I'm choosing my stays on what I'm wanting in a hotel. I usually dont eat breakfast so even though the hotel offers free coffee and breakfast, I dont use it. That doesnt mean my stay there is devalued because I dont use what is free. I also dont swim in the hotel pools or use their exercise equipment in their gyms. That also doesnt mean my stay is less and I'm being taken advantage of by the hotel chains.
This is a great explanation but I don't think you'll change any minds. I agree btw. The "perks" that have come and gone don't really matter that much to us, some we never even used, with others we just find a different way to enjoy our time. To Disney's credit, they tend to give advanced notice on changes and disruptions. Anyone planning a trip has the opportunity to factor that information in and adjust expectations accordingly, or opt out if it's a deal breaker. I really don't understand all of the outraged indignation.

ppete1975

a) Get rid of the boat from port orleans to disney springs
b) Get rid of transportation from hotels to the parks (bus, monorail, or skyway)

outside of those two reasons, ill just complain but still give them my money.. for one reason.

Escapism, i want to go to disney and forget the outside world.. i want to be in the magic.

Magic Express hurt that alot for me, and i think it was a dumb way to cut costs, that seemed kind of petty by disney.

It was never free.. just like parking. We paid for it already.. now we pay for it and dont get it.

Dean123

I do not want to diss anyone who cannot afford to be in a deluxe resort.
There is a restaurant at Disney that costs $450 per person to eat there. I do not eat there but, there are people who need that restaurant. It is not owed to me, nor do I begrudge them a place to go and be accustomed to their level of service and cuisine.

I am only saying if you stay off site and save 600 hundred a day versus someone who stays in a deluxe resort, isn't that enough of our money to justify the perk of an extra hour at a park?

I have stayed off site, not worth fighting traffic, rental vehicle, stress of getting to and home at night.
Give Disney the money. They are the reason you came, my brother spends all his time trying to save and stressing about what it all costs.
I get home and when the visa bill comes, you have a heart attack and move on.
Maybe two to three years before I can go back.
But I enjoyed every minute.

lunchbox1175

I have stayed at every resort except for the GF and Riviera, and once I cross that off the list, I don't believe I will stay on property anymore as the benefits just continue to decline. I had seriously been considering joining DVC, but with ME and all the other perks being removed I just don't see any value in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom