Disney alienates 90% of their guests......What is going on?

Jeff4272

Original Poster
The perk of staying on site is that you’re staying on site. A lot of these things you’re talking about were added over the years for different reasons and now Covid gave them a chance to restart. The first time I stayed at All Star Movies there was:

No magical express
No extra magic hours
No magic bands
No fastpass
No poolside activity team
No outdoor movies

The park of being at a Disney resort was the included resort to park transportation, being close to everything, and knowing that you had a safe clean resort to return to each night. It feels like a lot of of people feel Disney “owes” them for staying at one of their resorts, but people need to look at what’s included in the reservation and see if they thinks it’s worth it or not. If you don’t think it’s worth it then there’s lots of other hotels to stay at off property. If you book it knowing what’s included you can’t spend the whole trip thinking you’re owed anything more than what was listed as included in the reservation you agreed to.
That's not the point....the point is they GAVE you these perks for the same price and now they don't..Let me ask you, if they gave you the option to have those perks or not, what would you choose? That's a rhetorical question, you would obviously choose to have them

Jeff4272

Original Poster
Yes it does!!! But by doing this Disney thinks that everyone who loves to go to Disney will either go to the Deluxe Resort or buy DVC. You know giving a little crumb so everyone will do what they want everyone to do.
No it doesnt.......They still have 12 value and moderate resorts that they need to sell......there are approximately 37,000 hotel rooms in WDW and 2/3rds of those are value or moderate

Pirate Magic

No it doesnt.......They still have 12 value and moderate resorts that they need to sell
Yeah so. By doing what Disney is doing it doesn’t matter to them. It doesn’t fit in their equation of what they are trying to do. They want to make big bucks fast and they figure if they do this everyone will follow what they want the guest to do. Remember Disney has lost a lot of money because of COVID, Disneyland has been closed for a whole year and we all know on this forum that Disney World has always been the company’s cash cow when Disney is hurting. This is another example of it and a bad move.

castlecake2.0

That's not the point....the point is they GAVE you these perks for the same price and now they don't..Let me ask you, if they gave you the option to have those perks or not, what would you choose? That's a rhetorical question, you would obviously choose to have them
Airlines used to give you free food and now they don’t. Things won’t stay the same forever. So you can choose to stay on site knowing what is now included or you can go elsewhere. One enough people choose elsewhere Disney might change their stance.

Jeff4272

Original Poster
Airlines used to give you free food and now they don’t. Things won’t stay the same forever. So you can choose to stay on site knowing what is now included or you can go elsewhere. One enough people choose elsewhere Disney might change their stance.
I agree.........I wonder if this will affect value/moderate bookings.....I think it will

Disney Dead Head

Whoa, stop the clock!! Just because we're not staying in a deluxe, doesn't mean our benefits of staying on property should be any different. We CAN stay at a deluxe (and have-GF) but IMHO, it's a total waste of money for the amount of time we actually spend at the resort. Last time I checked, Chase doesn't have a platinum or black Disney card...mine is just as good as yours...I'll hold the ladder while you climb off that high horse.
You do know that Saratoga Springs is considered a Deluxe Resort due to its DVC affiliation.........fig you might want to know since you're staying there SOON

Disstevefan1

For the guests who are first timers or those who will go once and have no intention of returning for multiple trips... its only about the money being saved at the resorts. Guests booking resorts first thought is how much am I paying for a night in comparison to the deluxe rates. They arent focusing on what was in the past and has been taken away.
For the guests who are return WDW goers, its a love of the resort they have stayed at. The on site immersion. The tradition theyve developed. Those things they are willing to accept are more important to them despite the missing elements.
I can accept no DME... we no longer fly, we drive.
Yes... EMH's are sorely missed... we took advantage of them throughout our trips.
I can accept no free MB... isnt costly to buy and using other devices work well. in comparison to other trip components a MB is paltry.
I can accept no free parking... we have a w/c van so we arent charged for parking.
I enjoy the WDW transportation buses.. Ive never viewed them as being bad or inefficient getting around.
I'm unsure about FP+ ... depends on whats coming out as to whether I see its value. I wouldnt be opposed to paying a fee.
This is Disney’s perfect visitor to WDW, and there are many of them. There are also many who fly:
Yes I can accept no DME because I would rather fly in any event and besides gas prices are at a 7 year high.
I can accept no free parking because I flew in.

A big requirement of being a WDW fan is the ability to rationalize everything.
Disney wins again.

…knowing that you had a safe clean resort to return to each night.
If you don’t think it’s worth it then there’s lots of other hotels to stay at off property.
… what i can get offsite for a cheaper price and higher quality
This is something I’ve struggled with. Can someone please help, or point me to the right thread if this is already discussed elsewhere?

My main question—are there off-site hotels that, when considering total cost*: 1) are significantly cheaper than even All Star, and 2) that I can be confident will meet a reasonable expectation of cleanliness and safety? I’ve had a hard time finding a comparable alternative at this lower price point, so I wondered if people are mostly referring to the more-expensive hotels being a better value…?
*total cost: I mean once you add any resort fees, hotel parking, and parking at the parks every day (not comfortable relying on off-property park buses, and not currently a passholder).

Jeff4272

Original Poster
This is something I’ve struggled with. Can someone please help, or point me to the right thread if this is already discussed elsewhere?

My main question—are there off-site hotels that, when considering total cost*: 1) are significantly cheaper than even All Star, and 2) that I can be confident will meet a reasonable expectation of cleanliness and safety? I’ve had a hard time finding a comparable alternative at this lower price point, so I wondered if people are mostly referring to the more-expensive hotels being a better value…?
*total cost: I mean once you add any resort fees, hotel parking, and parking at the parks every day (not comfortable relying on off-property park buses, and not currently a passholder).
Check out Reunion resort....Can get a 2 bedroom villa with kitchen, 3 bathrooms, free parking and shuttle to parks for $250 a night.........Also has a great pool and lazy river area with a tiki bar..........

castlecake2.0

That’s the thing when you really start comparing everything, the value resorts are still a really great price. Of course you’ll find cheaper offsite, but like you said, looking at cleanliness, safety, service, location, transportation etc, it’s hard to beat.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
We pay big dollars to stay at a deluxe resort. Twice as much as much as a value resort, so before you wine about it, you know that extra time in the park is not worth it for you. It is to me, and I pay through the nose for it.

Thank you Disney for giving us people who pay for everything in the park, finally giving us something. Anytime you want to join us rooms are there!

That's...cool?

Check out Reunion resort....Can get a 2 bedroom villa with kitchen, 3 bathrooms, free parking and shuttle to parks for $250 a night.........Also has a great pool and lazy river area with a tiki bar..........
Thanks, that does sound like a great value. Unfortunately even the 1-room option is still much more expensive than All Star. Not disputing the value, but purely the out-of-pocket expense. Will definitely keep it in mind to check out for if/when I’m going with more people and need more space. Thanks!

ppete1975

I feel by the crowds 90 percent is inaccurate.

I really hope everyone does get alienated though. Reduced park attendance would be amazing. And not just for me enjoying more space, but speaking with your wallet is the only way Disney will stop.

Hey lets go up 20 bucks.... park sells out
hey lets do a 200 dollar special event.... sells out
hey lets charge 150 for a run (laughing at the absurdity).... sells out in seconds
Hey lets reduce hours....... park sells out
Hey lets get rid of employees.... park sells out complaints are small
Lets not add anything new or fix stuff....... full crowds.....

one of the worst things that came out of the pandemic (disney wise), is that they see that a reduced experience (no fireworks, rides closed, social distancing, masks) still sells out.... to me they are just seeing how much they can remove before it hurts....

AND IT STILL SELLS OUT

If you dont like what disney is doing... you have power.. dont go.

will it matter... sadly no... because for everyone one of the "90 percent" there are 3 people to take their place...

Right now disney has ALL the power

jpinkc

I have to agree I have been coming to the parks since 1978 as a kid. We have always stayed on property, but when we go this Nov, we are staying at the Swan. I know its a quasi on/off property property but its getting to be just to much to go for what we are getting for the premiums or deluxe. We love staying on the Monorail so we usually stay near it. The big 3 and Wilderness Lodge as you could walk to Poly and catch the monorail. My wife has been to Boardwalk before she was my wife so I guess that counts too LOL. Its going to be an experiment for us with Swan, see how she does walking to Epcot and HS. But what we saved staying there over the others kinda got her attention. I dont think she will be as (how do I say this) Disney satisfied with the place, but I know in future I will be looking outside the parks in future. Now whether I win that fight remains to be seen. But for no perks right now to me it was good, maybe I can get her a Dessert Party for her birthday or something

Disstevefan1

Do yourself a favor and search Disney Springs Area Resorts. There are many high quality resorts very close to Disney Springs. You could stay at one of those and go to Disney Springs and can use the WDW transportation from Disney Springs to the parks and resorts.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
FWIW, they also alienated anyone staying onsite at all before October 1. What's the point when there's no advantage to doing so?

UPDATE: In recognition of this fact, and due to Disney's e-mail informing us there will be no monorail service at the Polynesian during our August stay, we are canceling our Polynesian standard room package and have moved "off-site" -- sort of -- to a premium suite at the Dolphin. If we want to stay deluxe in a couple years to claim these forthcoming touring benefits (you know, the kinds of benefits we used to get for free, except that the "new" extra hours are pathetically reduced from former EMH), we'll need the several hundred dollars we saved by making this change. ;)

I get that truly, one of the top reasons I like to stay at the Wilderness Lodge is location and taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom for transportation.....if they yanked the boats I likely would switch to the Polynesian, which I have always wanted to try out, BUT that would be assuming the monorail was up and running......sorry they are not going to be done with it prior to your trip!!!! 😟 Was looking forward to your trip report on that resort......😃

I have loved staying at Deluxe, and would resent less perks than I got prior for more money, no logic there for contentment, but truly we usually don't use the EMH very often.....but suppose I would just to be curious to observe crowd levels and because it well, is a perk.:angelic: We are early birds so morning hours to me are preferred vs very late hours.....:cool:

Do yourself a favor and search Disney Springs Area Resorts. There are many high quality resorts very close to Disney Springs. You could stay at one of those and go to Disney Springs and can use the WDW transportation from Disney Springs to the parks and resorts.
Will do, thanks! Any particular positive experiences you’ve had with hotels that are cheaper than All Star though? I do like the idea of parking at DS and using transportation. Solves one of my concerns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom