News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

TeriofTerror

Yep! Thanks. ;)

Been reading for years but never dared to register because you all are intimidating in your Disney knowledge. No way was I going to contribute anything meaningful. Now today, I finally get my chance to flex my knowledge and get beaten to it by mere minutes. Are you kidding me?! :joyfull:

I’m glad you enjoyed Moonlight Magic though. Events like those make me super envious of DVC members.
Welcome!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yep! Thanks. ;)

Been reading for years but never dared to register because you all are intimidating in your Disney knowledge. No way was I going to contribute anything meaningful. Now today, I finally get my chance to flex my knowledge and get beaten to it by mere minutes. Are you kidding me?! :joyfull:

I’m glad you enjoyed Moonlight Magic though. Events like those make me super envious of DVC members.
You've got to get up pretty early in the morning to beat the regulars, both at posting and at rope drop rope drop.

Vipor51

So we attended last nights after hours and a few things to note. Just FYI we visit 2-3 times annually from IL so yup, we love this place.

Pros: shorter waits (there are still 5-10 min lines), popcorn, ice cream, and bottled drinks included is a great perk, ability to move freely between rides is awesome, food vendors didn’t shut down immediatley at 11:00pm which was really nice and felt accommodating, we rode thunder mountain 4 times and space Mountain 4 times amongst a ton of others.

Cons: transportation back to poly was a nightmare as only the ferry boat was open with buses, an hour before event close at 10:00pm rode trains were being pulled which created longer lines. Honestly this really was unfortunate as it made the $120 Ticket feel overpriced. Big Thunder announced this change over intercom.

Overall the night was a blast but I thought I would give some granular detail to our visit. Would we do it again?? Maybe.

We have a 6 and 7 year old.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So essentially a full day's admission price - for three hours? 🤔 😂

Yeah, no. I'll wait for EMH and plan my days accordingly. Sorry, Disney.

EDIT: To be fair, I have done one Christmas Party in the past... But that at least had value added; free cookies and hot chocolate, party on Main St., much longer hours, etc.)

There is a fundamental difference between the specific themed afterhours events and that: which is basically a couple of hours during the offseason when traditionally the crowds were very light and now not so much.

It's a $225 park day unless you specifically reduce outlay on tickets otherwise.

It is what it is...that is what it is. I can certainly catch the rides another time...it's not like they are going anywhere.

Cmdr_Crimson

So we attended last nights after hours and a few things to note. Just FYI we visit 2-3 times annually from IL so yup, we love this place.

Pros: shorter waits (there are still 5-10 min lines), popcorn, ice cream, and bottled drinks included is a great perk, ability to move freely between rides is awesome, food vendors didn’t shut down immediatley at 11:00pm which was really nice and felt accommodating, we rode thunder mountain 4 times and space Mountain 4 times amongst a ton of others.

Cons: transportation back to poly was a nightmare as only the ferry boat was open with buses, an hour before event close at 10:00pm rode trains were being pulled which created longer lines. Honestly this really was unfortunate as it made the $120 Ticket feel overpriced. Big Thunder announced this change over intercom.

Overall the night was a blast but I thought I would give some granular detail to our visit. Would we do it again?? Maybe.

We have a 6 and 7 year old.
Thanks @Vipor51 for the post. I am traveling from IL as well and going to the 15th of February event, so I appreciate you posting your thoughts about your experience.
Chicagoland native and I'm heading out in a week and doing the 30th and 8th events..

becca_

Did this on the 19th, which turned out to be a sold out night. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants more time at MK with very low wait times.

We watched HEA and then completed the following:
- Big Thunder
- Peter Pan
- Pooh
- Dumbo
- Barnstormer
- Space Mtn x2
- Buzz
- SDMT
- Haunted Mansion

We also stopped for mickey bars (they had other options as well), pop, and water. The only thing I would have changed was to not watch HEA but it still worked out pretty well. A must do for me if available :)

AshaNeOmah

I'm really fighting the urge to buy tickets for Feb 8th. We'll be in MK that day, driving in after a cruise on the Wonder. I'd really like to have the extra time, since we're only staying three nights, but the $380 price tag for three is scaring me away.

BraveGirl

Wait, so people can't get on rides after 8pm without a wristband, but they can still stay in the park?
Yes, my mom, my kids and I were there on the 19th and walked around for a while without rides. Although we were allowed to jump on one ride at 5 minutes after park closing because literally no one was there.

BraveGirl

FWIW, I was there on the 19th and didn't have tickets to this event. We picked that day to go to MK because it was EMH in the morning. I would not do that again. It was the ONLY night during our stay that the park closed so early (8pm), which irritated me because we got less late night hours so they could make more money while charging us the same price as if we had picked a day the park was open till midnight. And if you've been to EMH at MK, you know that the security lines are just as bad as they are during midday, and the lines for the big ticket rides are just as long. So, we only managed to do 7D in our extra magic hour with a 30 minute wait which was like that from rope drop. It's been like that the last three times I've gone to EMH at MK (all within the past year and a half).

I've become completely disillusioned with morning EMH on my last few visits - I think there are just too many people staying on grounds for the crowds to be any smaller. Plus it draws everyone to that one park on that day to take advantage of it. I think your best bet is to pick a park WITHOUT the EMH, and plan to stay till closing. If you go to MK on a night that it's open till midnight for the "regular" ticket holders, and just stay till midnight, you'll be able to get just as much done. Everyone knows the park clears out after fireworks. Just this trip, my mom and kids and I made a beeline for Adventureland at 7:46, right after the Once Upon a Time show ended. We literally walked right onto Jungle boat (the boat was waiting there for people) and then right onto Aladdin's Magic Carpets, all before the 8:00 closing. The lines for both had been 30 minutes right before the show.

Go on a late night, stay till the end, and save your money.

And I too miss E Ride nights with a passion! My friend and I still talk about the night we rode Buzz Lightyear so many times in a row that our trigger fingers were sore the next day (I needed to beat him at least once!)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Closing 8:00pm on a Friday night... There is no amount of pixie dust that can be snorted to make this OK.. And due to this selling out, it will only get worse.

The park normally closes at 8 this time of year except for Friday and Saturday.

The After Hours days only fall on two Fridays. The other five times it will be on a Tuesday or Thursday, which are 8 PM closures anyway this time of year.

Why then, those two Fridays, I don't know. The Disney Resort guests get an extra MMH on those Fridays in the morning.

So... it's only those two days in January that the parks are closed two hours earlier than usual, but, at the same time as the rest of the week and Resort guests get an extra hour on those Fridays in the morning.

It's really not that bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom