Disney After Hours Event

YankeeMouse

I'm sure it was a failure, way too expensive. As an APassholder, we got the tix half-price $75. Husband thought I was nuts to want to go since we already have tix 365 days of year. I'm going to get criticism but I really enjoyed it. We arrived at 10:30, watched the crowds go and proceeded to enjoy the park like no other time ever, including the 24-hour Leap Day event. Just the emptiness of the park made for such an ambience and everyone was in a good mood including all the smiling cast members at attractions and kiosks. Riding HM 3 x in a row without getting out of the doom buggy and having no one within sight on the ride was a highlight. Also standing in the Peter Pan queue, the Darling house, with no other guests and taking pix there was great. I know it won't be back but I'm glad we did the event, every time I'm in MK and it's overcrowded, I'll remember this.

IMFearless

To be honest it makes more sense just to extend the operating hours for everyone.

By keeping the parks open later, you shift attendance from the peak day time to later in the evening as people look to reduce wait times. Many guests will arrive at 7pm or 8pm and stay much later.

This in turn, increases capacity earlier in the day for more guests to fit in the park.

Surely this makes more sense?

Dad 2 M & M

I'm sure it was a failure, way too expensive. As an APassholder, we got the tix half-price $75. Husband thought I was nuts to want to go since we already have tix 365 days of year. I'm going to get criticism but I really enjoyed it. We arrived at 10:30, watched the crowds go and proceeded to enjoy the park like no other time ever, including the 24-hour Leap Day event. Just the emptiness of the park made for such an ambience and everyone was in a good mood including all the smiling cast members at attractions and kiosks. Riding HM 3 x in a row without getting out of the doom buggy and having no one within sight on the ride was a highlight. Also standing in the Peter Pan queue, the Darling house, with no other guests and taking pix there was great. I know it won't be back but I'm glad we did the event, every time I'm in MK and it's overcrowded, I'll remember this.
We went last Thursday, and REALLY enjoyed it. We were comped tickets to the April 21st event, and it was noticeably more empty than last Thursday's 1/2 price event.

BTW, most are looking past the value of the data Disney collected during this "Grand Failure". I don't see it as anything such thing. They have already used the data to price MNSSHP. On this Forum many peeps have already indicated they will go during the "reduced price" (the prices increased for 2015) dates in September. My guess is the MNSSHP will sell out for each date in September (didn't always sell out in the past).

The initial $149 price for the After Hours Event infuriated many; now these same peeps are looking the September increased prices as a "Value"......that After Hours Event doesn't sound like a failure.....Disney scared people into thinking the MNSSHP and MVMCP prices would all be north of $100....now everyone is breathing a sigh of relief....brilliant TDO

Dad 2 M & M

Most are looking past the value of the data Disney collected during this "Grand Failure". I don't see it as anything such thing. They have already used the data to tier price MNSSHP. On this Forum many peeps have already indicated they will go during the "reduced price" dates in September. My guess is the MNSSHP will sell out for each date in September (didn't always sell out in the past).

The initial $149 price for the After Hours Event infuriated many; now these same peeps are looking the MNSSHP September increased prices as a "Value"

What a marketing plan:

1) Bombard across the empire cuts + price increases, all at once
2) Introduce After Hours event
3) Announce the 1st event "Sells Out"
4) Get a ton on negative press ( including having to give away tickets to "sell out")
5) Concede defeat and lower price to a select few
6) Stand back and watch peeps celebrate the failure

$149 price tag for After Hours, combined with the $124 Peak price for a 1 day ticket, Disney scared people into thinking the MNSSHP and MVMCP prices would all be north of $100. Now everyone is breathing a sigh of relief for another price increase, and planning to go during one of the slower times of the year ..... brilliant TDO!!!

......that After Hours Event doesn't sound like a failure.....

halltd

To be honest it makes more sense just to extend the operating hours for everyone.

By keeping the parks open later, you shift attendance from the peak day time to later in the evening as people look to reduce wait times. Many guests will arrive at 7pm or 8pm and stay much later.

This in turn, increases capacity earlier in the day for more guests to fit in the park.

Surely this makes more sense?
This only makes sense if all the parks stay open later. If the Magic Kingdom is the only park left open after 10:00pm, then the tendency is for people from the other three parks to all descent on the MK in the afternoon/evening because their evening hours at the park are most efficiently spent at the MK. I'm hoping this is the reason the other parks are getting love...so they can all have late operating hours.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
E$H operates as it's own business unit. The event had a <10% capture rate and was declining with every event. Doesn't take MBA to figure it is not a success. Coincidentally, the opposite of success is failure. Failure is ok if one learns from the failure and applies lessons from said failure so as not to repeat the failure. Failure to learn from failure,(Failure^2), is known as a mistake.

Failure (x)2 is SOP for WDW these days as failure is always doubled down on

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Most are looking past the value of the data Disney collected during this "Grand Failure". I don't see it as anything such thing. They have already used the data to tier price MNSSHP. On this Forum many peeps have already indicated they will go during the "reduced price" dates in September. My guess is the MNSSHP will sell out for each date in September (didn't always sell out in the past).

The initial $149 price for the After Hours Event infuriated many; now these same peeps are looking the MNSSHP September increased prices as a "Value"

What a marketing plan:

4) Get a ton on negative press ( including having to give away tickets to "sell out")

$149 price tag for After Hours, combined with the $124 Peak price for a 1 day ticket, Disney scared people into thinking the MNSSHP and MVMCP prices would all be north of $100. Now everyone is breathing a sigh of relief for another price increase, and planning to go during one of the slower times of the year ..... brilliant TDO!!!

Umm the parties ARE north of $100 bucks for a not inconsiderable number of nights.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
We already pay for the privilege of EMH in Disney hotel rates (unless anyone things the value resorts are actually worth as much as $178 per night, without any extra perks).

I'm fairly indifferent on the After Hours concept as a separate event, but the moment EMH becomes an up charge on top of the resort rates, we may finally get to that moment where paying a premium to stay on property just isn't worth it.

Don't worry monetizing EMH is coming the only question is 'how soon and how much'

cslafferty

What a marketing plan:

I will have to pay $99/person for MVMCP, and I am not breathing a sigh of relief, I am not thinking I got a bargain - I am teed off! The ONLY reason we are still going is because I promised my sister (this is her "bucket list" trip - WDW holidays with all of the bells and whistles). We will make the most of it; eat cookies and drink hot chocolate 'til we puke - cuz we won't be doing this again.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
I will have to pay $99/person for MVMCP, and I am not breathing a sigh of relief, I am not thinking I got a bargain - I am angry! The ONLY reason we are still going is because I promised my sister (this is her "bucket list" trip - WDW holidays with all of the bells and whistles). We will make the most of it; eat cookies and drink hot chocolate 'til we puke - cuz we won't be doing this again.

It'll be interesting to see if these have a hard time filling up like before and I'm gonna laugh my butt off if they end up discounting them more later in closer to time and screwing those who had already paid in full (won't be a good situation for you tho)

Wdw62114

I'm sure im the only one who actually wouldnt mind seeing and paying for EHM especially if it was like $100/person for 3 or 4 hours. The attendance would certainly decrease for it since too many angry people wouldnt pay it. Or do a complete overnight for $300/person from 11pm-6am or something

draybook

I agree with that, but what I don't agree with is the apparent gloating by people here that something they tried didn't work as well as some may have expected it to. Waaaah. Walt tried many things that didn't work, and almost went bankrupt more than once because of it. But let the current regime try something, and a certain crowd here yells to the rafters that they hope it fails just to put egg on Iger's face. Yeah, that's real mature.

When was the last time you went to WDW? I have been there 17 times just in the last 5 years (and I started going in 1978), the last time just a few months ago, and what the naysayers claim here about the condition of the parks is just plain wrong. They want it to be bad to justify their attitude.

Or maybe your experiences aren't the same? You have a real problem with thinking that you're the only opinion that matters here. I'm no math whiz, but 1 plus 1 equals 2. If you have to GIVE AWAY tickets to a paid event then yeah, it's a failure. Your opinion and mine don't matter, it's a fact.

Most of us who are here "whining", as you put it, are still going. We care enough to not sit by and turn a blind eye to their greeed. You being there 17 times in the last 5 years impresses me about as much as your 22 years in the service did. We've only been 13 times in the last 7.5 years but we know what we've seen firsthand.

AEfx

I'm sure im the only one who actually wouldnt mind seeing and paying for EHM especially if it was like $100/person for 3 or 4 hours. The attendance would certainly decrease for it since too many angry people wouldnt pay it. Or do a complete overnight for $300/person from 11pm-6am or something

Out of curiosity, how many people do you generally go to WDW with? How many tickets like this would your party buy, for example?

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
:facepalm:

but see you being "the only one" wouldn't justify Disney for doing something like this because then they would lose money

I think Disney while experimenting is beginning to find their ceiling at the moment (interested to see how these holiday parties are attended later this year as well - at least those have different offerings)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom