Disney 2013 Earnings Call

danv3

Obviously the things we want to hear about the most (MDE costs, Attendance, reinvestments, expansions) wont actually be discussed.

Well, if we're lucky some analyst will at least ask a pertinent question. Obviously management isn't going to actually truthfully answer any questions.

SiriusBlack

danv3different 5791158 said:
Well, if we're lucky some analyst will at least ask a pertinent question. Obviously management isn't going to actually truthfully answer any questions.
Ha started a different thread to no avail. I am interested cause I'm a shareholder. But the stock price has been tanking today

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
After all they are all a bunch of unethical bloodsucking leaches who provide zero good to society in general. :rolleyes:

SiriusBlack

Completely unrelated (but interesting to some investors)... Twitter opened SO much higher than IPO today. Coudn't believe it.

Back to topic - looking forward to finding out earnings later. I expect they will have had a great year, but as Photodave said many analysts are already predicting that so it may be hard to beat those projections.

WDW1974

Always such a fun time ...the fanbois all crow about how MAGICal Disney's numbers are and use them as a dimwitted excuse for continuing to let the parks stagnate.

Considering how slow the early part of the quarter was at WDW, the spin will be entertaining.

PhotoDave219

Interesting how half an hour before the earnings call, it is announced that the new Star Wars film will be opening December 18, 2015.

Guessing that's how they're spinning this.

PhotoDave219

Completely unrelated (but interesting to some investors)... Twitter opened SO much higher than IPO today. Coudn't believe it.

Back to topic - looking forward to finding out earnings later. I expect they will have had a great year, but as Photodave said many analysts are already predicting that so it may be hard to beat those projections.

You can only have record profits so many times in a row before you don't make the Mark....

Law of diminishing returns.

Twitter cannot sustain $46 a share. Long-term I cannot see the company sustaining it.

PhotoDave219

Per Jason Garcia....

"For quarter, company-wide profit +12% to $1.4B and revenue +7% to $11.6B. Parks operating profit +15% to $571M on revenue +8% to $3.7B."

sweetpee_1993

I know nothing about any of this stuff. My hubby handles the investments. Someone just say whether we're looking good or looking bad. Thumbs up or down will do. Even if I listened it'd all be jibberish to me. LOL!

luv

I know nothing about any of this stuff. My hubby handles the investments. Someone just say whether we're looking good or looking bad. Thumbs up or down will do. Even if I listened it'd all be jibberish to me. LOL!
You should learn. One of you has to die first and it might be him. You'll be left with all this money in all these places and have no idea what to do, where it is, etc. We who hate dealing with money things do ourselves a huge disservice by not finding out (from the person who can best help us) what is going on with our money. When we get divorced or someone dies, we are left saying, "What? Huh? Where's the money? How much? I'm supposed to...what?"

You can start by watching Jim Cramer or Neil Cavuto on TV. They keep everything on a level beginners can follow. Read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Those are all easy, good starting points! Have your husband show you where everything is. Be involved.

Or don't. :) It's good advice, but no offense will be taken if you say, "Nah...not for me." :)

WDW1974

Interesting how half an hour before the earnings call, it is announced that the new Star Wars film will be opening December 18, 2015.

Guessing that's how they're spinning this.

Yep, a film that is widely felt to be a mess in the business, a film that Kennedy and Lucasfilm desperately wanted another 18 months for.

But understand this, Iger is looking at only his legacy in the short term. This SW film could mAke The Phantom Menace look like the best film of all time and it will still make billions.

Much like Shanghai DL, Iger wants to shine in the spotlight with his elephant-sized ego and be lauded for all his acquisitions and the way he has grown the BRAND.

Watching him puke forth talking points to Maria B on CNBC was a bit much. His unbridled love of everything Marvel ...well, except for that huge gambling business on the side that only the New York Times has had the guts to question and write about ...is just sickening. He seems to not get that the superhero business is cyclical and riding a crest right now.

All of the great IP that Disney already has and all he really cares about is leveraging Marvel and Lucas creations.

Oh, and stock is down almost three percent on this great earnings report.

WDW1974

Impressive - and parks never did the layoffs that were expected. I wonder how much GF villa revenue they took in Q4.

Yep, because Disney thinks it can add thousands of more DVC units at WDW ...amazing.

And I still wait for the DVC revolt that never happens.

Last edited:

danv3

Jason Garcia's tweeted quotes from this call are hilarious.

Avatar touted as DAK's Cars Land? Quietly pushing off the roll-out of MM+? Iger getting irritated when asked about Comcast's spending?

Sounds like comedy gold.

Definitely informative. Rasulo admitted MM+ wouldn't be making money in 2014, and Iger (essentially) admitted that DAK is a half-day park.

sweetpee_1993

You should learn. One of you has to die first and it might be him. You'll be left with all this money in all these places and have no idea what to do, where it is, etc. We who hate dealing with money things do ourselves a huge disservice by not finding out (from the person who can best help us) what is going on with our money. When we get divorced or someone dies, we are left saying, "What? Huh? Where's the money? How much? I'm supposed to...what?"

You can start by watching Jim Cramer or Neil Cavuto on TV. They keep everything on a level beginners can follow. Read The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Those are all easy, good starting points! Have your husband show you where everything is. Be involved.

Or don't. :) It's good advice, but no offense will be taken if you say, "Nah...not for me." :)
I hear ya. Hubby understands markets where I'm too simplistic, idealistic, and emotional. I handle the household bucks. He does the investing. If anything should happen to him I'd hand it all to the son of one if our dearest family friends who does that stuff for a living. I'd never put my hands in it. Divorce? LOL. See: "If anything should happen to him...." He was fairly warned long ago I'll be a widow but never divorced. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom