Disney 2013 Earnings Call

WDW1974

Growth is a Wall St. disease, It used to be enough that a company made a PROFIT but now profits have to GROW by some arbitrary number. This is what is WRONG with American Business, Look at Asia groups of related companies many of which are making small profits make up huge and powerful combines because they are banking those profits whist american companies are frittering away money on mergers of which 80% destroy shareholder value over 5 year periods.

Yes, that mentality if left unchecked will destroy the global economy. Anyone recall the 2008 disaster?

Let's allow Big Business and Wall Street to do whatever they want and see how quickly we become a third world nation with nukes and delusions of grandeur.

The Empress Lilly

I'm not sure what form a revolt would take, but Disney has inadvertently created a community of far flung locals over the last 20 years. They got many of us back in the parks with heavily discounted PAPs that could be activated at any point this calendar year. The question is - Will FLE be enough to get people to renew? I don't think it will be. At some point will someone say, "you know, if spent the money and invested it correctly, these people would spend many on full freight tickets?" I would also think they've got to be close to market saturation on the timeshares. The prices they charge per point seem mildly insane at this point too.

Giving credit where credit is due, Mr. 74 talked up the shareholders meeting in Arizona and I listened to if for the first time ever. It was beyond entertaining. I was actually listening to the audio and laughing and laughing.
Got a link to that meeting for me? :hungry:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Got a link to that meeting for me? :hungry:
Amazingly enough it exists on the internetz in mp3 form - http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/investors/events?tid=44&field_event_date_value_1[value][year]=2013

It gets progressivley funnier as it goes. I suggest following along with the thread - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/2013-shareholders-meeting-game-thread.861096/

there are a lot of good jokes. Don't give up on the meeting at the start, the questions get dumber and dumber and the thread gets funnier and funnier.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Most of the spending will
certainly be in Shanghai -- they are building an entire resort there, but that doesn't mean nothing will happen here (just that it is likely!)

I would not say nothing will happen, I'm sure TWDC can close some attractions in the meantime and have a few price increases to make the next few earnings calls look good.

PhotoDave219

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Most of the spending will
certainly be in Shanghai -- they are building an entire resort there, but that doesn't mean nothing will happen here (just that it is likely!)

I'm drawing that assumption based upon what Rasulo was saying on the conference call. It was him or iger that said the capital expenditures for next fiscal year would be flat domestically.

I certainly hope they do something domestically… But I've been around this company long enough to know that my expectations should be lowered.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm drawing that assumption based upon what Rasulo was saying on the conference call. It was him or iger that said the capital expenditures for next fiscal year would be flat domestically.

I certainly hope they do something domestically… But I've been around this company long enough to know that my expectations should be lowered.
When pressed further on what the domestic parks cap spending would be for in 2014 they basically said finishing FLE and Avatarland along with refurbs and regular major maintenance. Of course even if something is in the works they aren't going to say "we have some major plans that we just haven't announced yet" so you never know.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
GFV seems to be selling pretty well. The DVC resale market is up too. If there are unhappy owners out there there seems to be a steady stream of customers willing to replace them.

No argument with your points - It's just when last batch of MF's hit AND the last 'No Questions Allowed HOA Meeting' was on the order of things that make you go hmmm, Time to do some research and many of us were not happy with what we found.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom