Rumor Disney 100: Great Moments with Uncle Walt to Replace Mr. Lincoln

TP2000

It's February 1st. Happy Black History Month everybody! 🥳 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

The new video in the Opera House lobby debuted today with a little ceremony and opening party. The new National Geographic video is now playing explaining the hard work and friendship that happened between President Lincoln and abolitionist Frederick Douglass....

Quoting myself because now it's February 28th and the close of Black History Month! 🇺🇸

But this nifty little pre-show from National Geographic will live on indefinitely. I found this version on YouTube and it's really very nice.

Ever since Disney bought National Geographic years ago, I've thought that it would be a great plus for Disneyland to include National Geographic info and material into the park. A match made in heaven, really. Particularly in historical areas like Main Street, Frontierland, Rivers of America, etc.

They need to take this success at the Lincoln show and keep it up! More of this kind of "Hard facts that have created America", please!

Consumer

Quoting myself because now it's February 28th and the close of Black History Month! 🇺🇸

But this nifty little pre-show from National Geographic will live on indefinitely. I found this version on YouTube and it's really very nice.

Ever since Disney bought National Geographic years ago, I've thought that it would be a great plus for Disneyland to include National Geographic info and material into the park. A match made in heaven, really. Particularly in historical areas like Main Street, Frontierland, Rivers of America, etc.

They need to take this success at the Lincoln show and keep it up! More of this kind of "Hard facts that have created America", please!

Although I have nothing against Frederick Douglas, the preshow used to be about Abraham Lincoln's life. Getting rid of that in an attraction about Abraham Lincoln is a terrible change.

TP2000

Although I have nothing against Frederick Douglas, the preshow used to be about Abraham Lincoln's life. Getting rid of that in an attraction about Abraham Lincoln is a terrible change.

Well, I don't know that I can agree that it's a "terrible" change, but it is a change.

The entire show in the theater is about Lincoln and the Civil War. Aside from going to the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Illinois (Is there such a thing? I'm just guessing there is.) I don't know of any place that showcases President Lincoln and his nation-saving accomplishments like this Disneyland show.

That said, there's still so much more they could do with this level of historical entertainment in the park. For instance, a display in the Frontierland dock area with models of the Mark Twain and Columbia, with a small exhibition of how those two types of ships (river steam powered, ocean-exploring sail powered) helped the nation grow and expand westward in the 1800's.

Tokyo Disneyland's exact clone of the Mark Twain has a gorgeous and obviously expensive scale model of the ship on display in its loading area. Duplicating the ship models for Disneyland, and expanding a bit on their historical importance and why Walt chose to include them in his park would be a fabulous plus of that otherwise boring waiting area! Among other examples that National Geographic's vast expertise could help with.

Skip

The most recent preshow, as I recall, was more of how Walt/The Disney Company approached recreating Abrahama Lincoln versus a recounting of his life. The show still does that. I think this is a very good replacement that is frankly more interesting (and historically important and relevant) than a piece about the actor Walt hired to voice Lincoln.

PiratesMansion

The entire show in the theater is about Lincoln and the Civil War. Aside from going to the Lincoln Presidential Museum in Illinois (Is there such a thing? I'm just guessing there is.) I don't know of any place that showcases President Lincoln and his nation-saving accomplishments like this Disneyland show.
There is! The Lincoln Presidential Library & Museum is a relatively new attraction in Springfield, IL. It's a big modern museum taking you through his life story. There's even a couple of shows, one of which is basically the same sort of thing as Mystery Lodge at Knott's, but about presidential archives instead. https://presidentlincoln.illinois.gov/

Springfield isn't the nicest capital city in the world, but it is where a lot of the Lincoln stuff is centered and you can make a day of it pretty easily. Nearby is also the only house he ever owned (tiny!), his tomb, the place where he practiced law, the old capitol building, which sometimes has a Lincoln impersonator on hand (the actual capitol building is one of the only non-Lincoln sites in Springfield worth seeing, as is the FLW-designed Dana Thomas home). Then you can have a horseshoe sandwich for lunch, and perhaps help me understand if I was missing anything when I was utterly confused by this regional staple that people allegedly love (those with more modest-sized diets can opt for a smaller ponyshoe instead).

Extra credit (?) if you go to the New Salem Village nearby, a con of a tourist destination that purports to show an area where Lincoln lived but has had several papers written about how NSV is basically nonsense and incredibly dubious historically!

Last edited:

brb1006

Preset responses! So sometimes it made for pauses in conversations that were ever so slightly off (or in the case of the DCA playtest, lines would be triggered too soon and overlapped with other characters unnaturally). Still magical though; I especially love that DCA playtest, it's so fun.

I strongly miss Talking Mickey! :(

Walt Disney1955

This is not a good idea. For starters, "Great Times with Mr. Lincoln" was one of the 1964 World's Fair projects Walt did. There is a reason it is on Main Street in Disneyland. It is a classic. There doesn't need to be an animatronic of Walt. There is already a statue, and if you want to add something then bring back something like the Walt Disney Story and put it in a theatre.

SuddenStorm

This is not a good idea. For starters, "Great Times with Mr. Lincoln" was one of the 1964 World's Fair projects Walt did. There is a reason it is on Main Street in Disneyland. It is a classic. There doesn't need to be an animatronic of Walt. There is already a statue, and if you want to add something then bring back something like the Walt Disney Story and put it in a theatre.

I've been studying Disneyland history and discussing Disneyland online for about 10 years- and I have never heard of Great Times with Mr. Lincoln. But I sure hope people had some Great Times with the late president.

Though usually I'm sure people think of it more as Air Conditioned Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Walt Disney1955

I've been studying Disneyland history and discussing Disneyland online for about 10 years- and I have never heard of Great Times with Mr. Lincoln. But I sure hope people had some Great Times with the late president.

Though usually I'm sure people think of it more as Air Conditioned Moments with Mr. Lincoln.

Yes, "Moments". Hey it's been a decade since I've been to Disneyland!

I liked it, yes the air conditioning helps and the theatre is pretty neat.

PiratesMansion

Great Air Conditioning with Mr. Lincoln.
Great Moments with Mr. Air Conditioning
Great Conditioning with Mr. Lincoln.
Great Lincoln with Mr. Conditioning.
Great Walt Disney with Mr. Lincoln.
Great Moments with Two Brothers.
Carousel of Lincoln.
Lincoln of Progress.
Progress of Lincoln.
Lincoln Sings.
Golden Dreams with Mr. Lincoln.
Hall of President.
Lincoln Bear Jamboree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom