Disney’s Q2 (Jan/Feb/Mar) FY 2020 Earnings Results Webcast on Tuesday, May 5, 4:30ET

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: John UBS: Parks: capacity limits in Shanghai?
Q: U.S. Parks attendance: locals v. travel guests.
Q: ad revenue?

A: Capacity is 80K day. Govt limit is 24K/day. Open less at first.
A: DL: more locals. WDW: lots of long distance travelers.
A: ad revenue is down due to live sporting and all other businesses being depressed #ThanksCovid
Tho, some ads have gone up: tech, streaming, insurance, etc…​
and we expect ad rev to continue to decline.​

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Q: John, Wolf Research: Sports… how do you get back to this being profitable?

A: We wait for sports and try to fill in as much as possible.

Slpy3270

All in all the quarter was...meh. People will look at the earnings miss and make it that big of a deal, but they're still making money and beat revenue targets regardless.

The company isn't in existential crisis as some in the media (and DisTwitter and neckbeards) believe (especially that Greenfield character who's convinced tech companies and telecoms will rule Hollywood), but it's not in too good shape either.

Either way, I doubt the company is gonna change much in the long-term post-covid. Whether or not that's good is your opinion.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
So Iger didn't answer any questions, to what I remember. Hopefully that will help settle down people chirping about his involvement and questioning Chapek's role.

Darkprime

I think they are really overestimating what the pent up demand will be outside the first week or so. I think filling the parks even at reduced capacity will be a major issue for months. They have to be aware they will have issues there.

I disagree. People are gonna go just to get out of the house for a bit I think there underestimating just how busy it s going to be

Quinnmac000

Yeah, Disney is HUGE in Japan.

I'm gonna disagree here. Disney products are huge however Disney media always get overshadowed by homegrown Japanese IPs. (Detective Conan, etc) Thats how Netflix was able to break into Japan was due to their licensing of manga/anime rights. Disney+ lack of homegrown asian IPs are going to be its downfall in Asia.

Sir_Cliff

I disagree. People are gonna go just to get out of the house for a bit I think there underestimating just how busy it s going to be
Completely agree. There are plenty of people who, as soon as Disney is open, would gladly rush to the gates and throw as much money as Disney asked to get a little hint of doing something fun and interesting again.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Q: JPMorgan: What capacity makes parks profitable?
Q: Studios… what’s the sched on tentpole movies

A: Chapek: we need enough guests to make it to profitable
Chapek: Studios… Mulan… hope it goes well!
Seemed like @realBobChapek dodged the question about expected capacity once parks reopen. Just said they won't do it if it's not profitable.
This was not how I understood Chapek’s answer. He said it needed to be profitable at the contribution line. That’s not the same thing as profitable AT ALL. It just means that they need to lose less money open than they do closed.

Bill in Atlanta

This was not how I understood Chapek’s answer. He said it needed to be profitable at the contribution line. That’s not the same thing as profitable AT ALL. It just means that they need to lose less money open than they do closed.
Ah. I see. So what does that translate to for MK? Any guesses?

robhedin

That was my take as well.

jinx8402

Yup, and hey, that was the argument I was making the other day. Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom