Laketravis

Attachments

• 20240507_142609.jpg
    20240507_142609.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 53

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
LOL! That's hilarious. It's where I'm staying this week, booked for $126 a night and if it hadn't of been for the high school band groups who checked out this morning it would have felt like we had the place to ourselves.
Funny, I know some people staying there for a few nights this week. They said a mister in the ToT queue sprung a leak this morning, it was... rather aggressive. ;)

Slpy3270

Trouble with Hugh saying that the path to streaming profitability isn't linear is that streaming isn't growing fast enough to offset linear networks' continued decline, and parks may not be enough to cushion the streaming losses. Time for legacy media companies is running out to make the math work. It's already run out for Paramount (who at this rate is looking to be sold to private equity vultures), Warner Bros. Discovery might be screwed if they lose the NBA, and Comcast could face growing pressure to spin off NBCUni if it becomes too much of a drag on their stock (their stock has yet to return to 2021 levels); worst case scenario Comcast merges NBCUni with WBD and spins the whole thing off into a separate publicly-traded company where the Roberts family still has majority control. Sony's arms dealer strategy could blow up if the number of content buyers dwindles quickly.

As much as Disney is trying to fend off these kinds of fates, the reality is they've - and every other conglomerate - had over a decade to prepare for this moment, and they all dragged their feet. Now the bill's coming due and media investor patience is running out.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Trouble with Hugh saying that the path to streaming profitability isn't linear is that streaming isn't growing fast enough to offset linear networks' continued decline, and parks may not be enough to cushion the streaming losses. Time for legacy media companies is running out to make the math work. It's already run out for Paramount (who at this rate is looking to be sold to private equity vultures), Warner Bros. Discovery might be screwed if they lose the NBA, and Comcast could face growing pressure to spin off NBCUni if it becomes too much of a drag on their stock (their stock has yet to return to 2021 levels); worst case scenario Comcast merges NBCUni with WBD and spins the whole thing off into a separate publicly-traded company where the Roberts family still has majority control. Sony's arms dealer strategy could blow up if the number of content buyers dwindles quickly.

As much as Disney is trying to fend off these kinds of fates, the reality is they've - and every other conglomerate - had over a decade to prepare for this moment, and they all dragged their feet. Now the bill's coming due and media investor patience is running out.

Somebody rode the cable/ad thing like a rented mule until it collapsed from exhaustion…

…but by all means, let’s ink another $50 mil per extension 👍🏻

Serpico Jones

Yep, the future of legacy media companies is very bleak.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And as much as everyone touts Netflix as the "future", even they seem to have confided that they're never going to be as profitable as legacy media once was. Ever. Especially given the recent cuts, cancellation, and of course, Scott Stuber's departure from the film unit.
I want Stuber to be brought in at Disney…said that many times

But to your point - absolutely streaming can’t make money like cable.
The customer is not held hostage and there’s no local monopoly over it. That’s why advertisers paid.

BrianLo

Hmmm, I could have sworn I read that both Hulu and D+ individually were profitable (and ESPN+ was a loss) but I agree that I can only see the combined Hulu/D+ profit. Where do you see the Hulu vs D+ breakdown for each service?

You can’t, unfortunately. It’s just in the way they word their statements. Eventually it won’t really matter since Hulu is getting fully folded in with time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom