Disney’s Q2 FY24 Earnings Results Webcast

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Just to clarify, Disny hasn't official announced an animated film for that date, just that there will be a notable film then.

IMDb has that film described as animated. That could be an early update, or that could be trolls.

But less than a year away and there's zero information about the purported movie being released that day? That seems awfully strange. Something is not adding up.

peng

Feel like its probably a rerelease or the dates will get shifted, animation takes a while and we would have probably at least have the title of it by now if it was animated. Besides, Disney usually doesn't have animated films in the spring these days, the exception was Raya and that was because of the pandemic (the release pattern is Pixar gets a June/July release and WDAS gets one around thanksgiving).

BrianLo

Can’t possibly agree less. Its ratio of minutes watched to subscribers is far higher than the larger services (it’s nearly as watched as Disney+, see below). It has put can’t-miss sports content on the service, including NFL games and the summer Olympics this year, and, like Disney+, it has the cover of a gigantic conglomerate to get it through to the other side.

It probably will graft another service on (Disney already has with Hulu and might again, so has Amazon), but that will be strategic, not desperate.

View attachment 784057

You are distracting from the overarching problem that it has 34 million subscribers… yes I know it’s domestic only, but how is it getting out of the hole it’s in with its tiny global market share.

A third of its subscribers don’t even pay anything. At least they are personally signed up I guess and not brought in by a carrier.

Yes grafting onto a (much bigger) subscriber base in Paramount or WBD is the strategy. That’s sort of my point. It’s at peak loses and I’m not sure how they dig it out organically without acquisition.

doctornick

I have a great and unique and totally new idea: Maybe Comcast can team up with WBD and P+ and create a new streaming service with all three of their content!!

I am assuming that there will be consolidation at some point because the market simply cannot handle this many different streamers operating on their own. Whether that comes from different companies working together a la original Hulu and combining existing platforms vs some companies bailing and just selling their content to another party (Paramount to me seems the most likely there; wouldn't be surprised to see them give up on Paramount+ and just license to Netflix or someone else) remains to be seen.

Once we have some attrition, we will (unfortunately for the consumer) see prices rise to where profit margins can exist. The current still relatively cheap monthly subscription fees are the result of "too much" competition and everyone trying to get their piece of the pie but isn't sustainable for services as they lose money.

Last edited:

Nevermore525

Disney Entertainment and Warner Bros. Discovery Announce Disney+, Hulu, Max Bundle

Today, Disney Entertainment and Warner Bros. Discovery announced a new streaming bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu and Max.

Beginning this Summer in the U.S., the streaming services will be offered together, providing subscribers with the best value in entertainment and an unprecedented selection of content from the biggest and most beloved brands in entertainment including ABC, CNN, DC, Discovery, Disney, Food Network, FX, HBO, HGTV, Hulu, Marvel, Pixar, Searchlight, Warner Bros., and many more.

The new bundle will be available for purchase on any of the three streaming platform’s websites and offered as both an ad-supported and ad-free plan.

“On the heels of the very successful launch of Hulu on Disney+, this new bundle with Max will offer subscribers even more choice and value,” said Joe Earley, President, Direct to Consumer, Disney Entertainment. “This incredible new partnership puts subscribers first, giving them access to blockbuster films, originals, and three massive libraries featuring the very best brands and entertainment in streaming today.”

“This new offering delivers for consumers the greatest collection of entertainment for the best value in streaming, and will help drive incremental subscribers and much stronger retention,” said JB Perrette, CEO and President, Global Streaming and Games, Warner Bros. Discovery. “Offering this unprecedented entertainment value for fans across all the complimentary genres these three services offer, presents a powerful new roadmap for the future of the industry.”

Additional details regarding the bundle offer will be shared in the coming months.

Tha Realest

Disney Entertainment and Warner Bros. Discovery Announce Disney+, Hulu, Max Bundle

Today, Disney Entertainment and Warner Bros. Discovery announced a new streaming bundle that includes Disney+, Hulu and Max.

Beginning this Summer in the U.S., the streaming services will be offered together, providing subscribers with the best value in entertainment and an unprecedented selection of content from the biggest and most beloved brands in entertainment including ABC, CNN, DC, Discovery, Disney, Food Network, FX, HBO, HGTV, Hulu, Marvel, Pixar, Searchlight, Warner Bros., and many more.

The new bundle will be available for purchase on any of the three streaming platform’s websites and offered as both an ad-supported and ad-free plan.

“On the heels of the very successful launch of Hulu on Disney+, this new bundle with Max will offer subscribers even more choice and value,” said Joe Earley, President, Direct to Consumer, Disney Entertainment. “This incredible new partnership puts subscribers first, giving them access to blockbuster films, originals, and three massive libraries featuring the very best brands and entertainment in streaming today.”

“This new offering delivers for consumers the greatest collection of entertainment for the best value in streaming, and will help drive incremental subscribers and much stronger retention,” said JB Perrette, CEO and President, Global Streaming and Games, Warner Bros. Discovery. “Offering this unprecedented entertainment value for fans across all the complimentary genres these three services offer, presents a powerful new roadmap for the future of the industry.”

Additional details regarding the bundle offer will be shared in the coming months.
I wonder if this is a precursor/ template for their shared/pooled sports offering?

I don’t have a dog in the fight other than seeing to it that the Inside the NBA team sticks together.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder if this is a precursor/ template for their shared/pooled sports offering?
Not directly.

Lachlan at Fox made it clear that the sports JV will be just sports, nothing else.

But, it's likely that as Disney, WDB, and Fox were discussing the sports JV, that Disney and WDB made a side deal for their non-sports entertainment channels.

BrianLo

I didn’t have that immediately on my bingo card. Why was Comcast so aggressive about Fox, but isn’t playing with the two now low hanging fruit it can buy out? Or at the very least play with. I really don’t understand their strategy.

It seems like WBD is going to try and go it alone? Or it’s a desperate stop gap. But I didn’t see them getting so heavily in bed with Disney.

WBD would synergize so well with Comcast.

JoeCamel

I didn’t have that immediately on my bingo card. Why was Comcast so aggressive about Fox, but isn’t playing with the two now low hanging fruit it can buy out? Or at the very least play with. I really don’t understand their strategy.

It seems like WBD is going to try and go it alone? Or it’s a desperate stop gap. But I didn’t see them getting so heavily in bed with Disney.

WBD would synergize so well with Comcast.
Because Brian played Bob's ego like a maestro?

Ayla

If I wanted Hulu or Disney+, I would have already become a subscriber. (I cancelled our free Disney+ sub, as nothing on there appealed to me.)

I am only interested in Max and if I'm forced to become subscribers to the other two in order to get Max, I'll be cancelling.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m starting to wonder what the point of that early announcement was?

Giving traders the full day to dump?

Still no computer aided bump.

Thank god Peltz wasn’t allowed to destroy the magic though 🤫

Lilofan

Wall Street doesn't like theme parks.
But I love Wall Street long term. The Dow is in record setting territory again and my 401K and other investments are running like the bulls ! Its a great time to be an investor ! Some many had predicted the market crashing at any moment ( for the last 2 years ) , how wrong they are !

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
But I love Wall Street long term. The Dow is in record setting territory again and my 401K and other investments are running like the bulls ! Its a great time to be an investor ! Some many had predicted the market crashing at any moment ( for the last 2 years ) , how wrong they are !
It would be very silly to equate no crash as evidence that one is impossible

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Because Brian played Bob's ego like a maestro?
Just like how Bob played Brian's ego by bidding up Sky.

And since Fox owned part of Sky, Comcast had to buy out Disney's acquired share.

Comcast: You know that extra money you had to pay to acquire Fox, well, here, have it back and give us your part of Sky, which, as mostly a linear network, will tremendously drop in value over the next decade. Thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom