Disney’s Q2 FY23 Earnings Results Webcast

Jrb1979

While some may have not liked it, I don’t think you can argue that it wasn’t “high quality”
IMO that's the problem, it costs a lot of make that "high quality". The problem is that people want "high quality" but don't want to pay cable prices for it. It's why I don't see streaming being the profit maker that all companies are hoping they become.

TP2000

IMO that's the problem, it costs a lot of make that "high quality". The problem is that people want "high quality" but don't want to pay cable prices for it. It's why I don't see streaming being the profit maker that all companies are hoping they become.

I still don't get how streaming pencils out for any studio, legacy or new.

I live a comfy, retired life. I want for nothing. But even I take the 15 seconds of fiddling with the remote to cancel my Netflix subscription once I'm done watching the shows I wanted. Six to 10 months later, when there's enough new stuff, I resubscribe in 15 seconds and binge another new season or three, plus a few old favorites.

I hadn't thought about it until this thread, but I am now quite confident there are a lot of middle class American families who are doing that with Disney+; subscribing for summer vacation and Christmas to watch all the latest blockbusters, then cancelling for four to six months and somehow managing to survive without unfettered access to Season 3 of The Suite Life Of Zack & Cody. Again. 🤣

Cable worked because they made it unbearably hard to get through to an actual operator who would finally allow you to cancel.

Streaming doesn't work because it only takes 30 seconds or less with your remote control in one hand and a Scotch in the other to cancel, and re-subscribe, and cancel again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah if only they could predict the post Covid surge ending at some point while the parks become stale/stagnant again like most of us did
Remember what all the Iger faithful said the last time they had a price gouged fueled dip?
“They actually want lower attendance…” (as they paid 3x too much for emergency converted dvc blocks 😎 and did soliloquies know as “trip reports”)??

But remember what the truth says: then and now:

“They NEVER want lower attendance. Not for one Millisecond.”

It’s not what they say…it’s the model they were constructed with to make profits.
Mission statements are pointless…they have to churn volume to make high profits. It’s always been and always will be.

Buckle up

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wow…not to belabor the point…but cnbc (grain of salt) is STILL talking about them…Bloomie is too.

An analyst just said “the prospects for Netflix are much better given their track record of adapatation”

I don’t know if that’s true? But I’m shocked it’s even being said outloud.

Not a lot of fans if the streaming announcements yesterday and Iger KNOWS that…
He must be truly miserable

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Wow…not to belabor the point…but cnbc (grain of salt) is STILL talking about them…Bloomie is too.

An analyst just said “the prospects for Netflix are much better given their track record of adapatation”

I don’t know if that’s true? But I’m shocked it’s even being said outloud.

Not a lot of fans if the streaming announcements yesterday and Iger KNOWS that…
He must be truly miserable
Is he still allowed to blame Chapek for everything he himself screwed up or no? lol

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is he still allowed to blame Chapek for everything he himself screwed up or no? lol
Well the people ultimately determine what is accepted as the truth.

The sames that still to this day blame Michael for everything including the Lindbergh kidnapping…are gonna die defending iger’s “Alamo”…

I’m a huge Iger critic (shocking 😱)…but I can say that he was a good “steward” in many ways. They made money…he did get good return on content investments…

But creative enough to run Disney now? No. Have the ability to leave his ego at the door and adapt quickly? Hell no.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
While some may have not liked it, I don’t think you can argue that it wasn’t “high quality”
If nobody watches something…it’s a flop. Not really a “subjective” kinda thing

I mean…solo is much better to watch now than the farce awakens…but nobody watch it so it was a flop and everyone sat and watched the other one which gets far worse every day

We don’t make the rules…we just spend alot of time here trying to convince ourselves that Disney can make its own 🤪

Rteetz

Huh?

The decrease at Walt Disney World Resort was due to higher costs, partially offset by increased volumes. Higher costs reflected cost inflation, increased expenses associated with new guest offerings and higher depreciation.
The comment on the call was WDW was down and offset by Disneyland. It’s expected WDW may be soft the rest of the year. We’ve already seen plenty of discounts we haven’t seen in the past couple years. I do think it’s a mix of things contributing but I also don’t think Tron itself is getting people to book trips.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The comment on the call was WDW was down and offset by Disneyland. It’s expected WDW may be soft the rest of the year. We’ve already seen plenty of discounts we haven’t seen in the past couple years. I do think it’s a mix of things contributing but I also don’t think Tron itself is getting people to book trips.

One new ride will not cause people to book more trips

…but a lack of new rides…like the next 5+ years…and growing each day…will lower trips booked.

Quite a pickle blue ocean strategy has cooking in the swamp, ain’t it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom