Disney’s Q2 FY22 Earnings Results Webcast

Jrb1979

Most here don't include Live TV either, and the ones that do cost as much as Cable anyways.

Free TV content stinks, it has commercials, it can't be time-shifted, and it has very little live sports.

SVOD content is good, it doesn't have commercials, and it has zero live sports.

So sports fans pretty much need cable (or a streaming product that includes Live TV, which is basically cable).
I do get the sports thing. I subscribe to DAZN during football season.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
This morning RBC, Rosenblatt, Bank of America, Guggenheim, Credit Suisse, Moffethansen and Wells Fargo all downgraded Disney stock.
I can’t stop thinking about that Business Insider article yesterday. That wasn’t smoke that was fire.

Trauma

It’s Disney and a recession developing

To anyone who thought the world had “figured out” recessions…my shoulder and a big hug are here for you 👍🏻

I don’t really think it will be “just a recession”…I’m just think/hope that might be it.

The problem is how they’ve “bought” their way out if recessions since 2008. The last true recession was the one that brought down Eisner in 2002 and maybe 50% of the bubble crash.

No covid recession is “red alert” to me…the numbers/facts were ignored for very rich men
I’ll go ahead and get banned from another thread but I don’t care it needs to be said.

What Walter said here is basically correct, and this was done with the APPROVAL of your favorite politicians on both sides of the isle.

We argue partisan issues on Covid threads, and Reedy Creek threads, but at the end of the day both sides could give two 💩‘s about the average American.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’ll go ahead and get banned from another thread but I don’t care it needs to be said.

What Walter said here is basically correct, and this was done with the APPROVAL of your favorite politicians on both sides of the isle.

We argue partisan issues on Covid threads, and Reedy Creek threads, but at the end of the day both sides could give two 💩‘s about the average American.
I don’t see that as controversial or edgy at all. Only the 401K lovers will even get the grumpy face. Because it’s about worry. But I guess I’m the only one who took that “investments have risk” stuff seriously when I started long ago. If it was all “guaranteed” then nobody would work at all…just get some seed money, put it into market and collect.

It would be like Risa on Star Trek

mikejs78

Premium Member
IMO I we are getting to the peak of streaming. People on forums like this will always be a D+ subscriber. Your average person isn't going to subscribe to multiple services. We are almost at the same point in streaming services as cable in why people cut the cord. The cost of adding each one is getting expensive. I don't how long the streaming bubble is going to last.

I don't think that's the case, I think we're still in early stages. I do think there will be some consolidation and a movement towards ad-supported less expensive tiers (because there is a ton of $$$ in ads), but I think Disney in particular is well-positioned to be one of the winners in the streaming wars.

Throughput is irrelevant.

An attraction that occupies 10 people for 45 minutes is just as valuable to perceived crowding as an attraction that occupies 90 people for 5 minutes.

Throughput is not irrelevant. UoE had a THRC of approximately 2400 pph. If those theaters were only 50% filled, that means that the actual ride capacity was in the 1200 pph range.

Guardians, on the other hand, has a ride capacity somewhere between 2500 and 2800 pph (according to estimates by @lentesta). That should be near 100% utilization. Even if that number is a little lower (say, 2200 pph), if it's fully utilized it services the park better.

Capacity is spaces available…not ridership.

Not many on the tta…but it’s valuable capacity.

It is not new capacity. You’re carrying the bucket for your master and it is wrong in this case.

Not many on the TTA? IT's always full and there's a line. IF capacity exists but no one is riding, it doesn't help the park at all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not many on the TTA? IT's always full and there's a line. IF capacity exists but no one is riding, it doesn't help the park at all.
That only happened the last few years…and do you want to take a guess why??

But even when at its “full” levels…it’s overflow for the other things in the area…which they desperately need in their parks and have almost none of

ChrisM

Disney is now trading under $100 a share.

This isn’t all on Disney.

We are about to enter a very dark period.

I know some like Walter think this will only be a recession.

I think this will be much worse.

I'm not seeing it. Recession, yes. But "much worse"?

Lots of fear out there, but the downward slide has been very orderly so far. This doesn't look anything like Fall 2008 or March 2020.

The inflationary bill is coming due, but what else would you expect when we absolutely juiced the money supply and supply chains are still in rough shape?

jmp85

Can't believe I actually agree with the analyst on CNBC. He basically he said he was worried about the path to profitability with DIS+ and chasing Netflix and HBO Max. Mentioned it would be smarter to keep classic content and play to the 'super fans.' I've always thought they should play to their strength with classic content, take the profit and invest the capital elsewhere.

pdude81

Can't believe I actually agree with the analyst on CNBC. He basically he said he was worried about the path to profitability with DIS+ and chasing Netflix and HBO Max. Mentioned it would be smarter to keep classic content and play to the 'super fans.' I've always thought they should play to their strength with classic content, take the profit and invest the capital elsewhere.
I don't see how they could just sit by and let cable/satellite profits dwindle as traditional TV dies off. They should also overpay for Sunday Ticket to juice ESPN+ but there's only so much cash to spread around.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Throughput is not irrelevant. UoE had a THRC of approximately 2400 pph. If those theaters were only 50% filled, that means that the actual ride capacity was in the 1200 pph range.

Guardians, on the other hand, has a ride capacity somewhere between 2500 and 2800 pph (according to estimates by @lentesta). That should be near 100% utilization. Even if that number is a little lower (say, 2200 pph), if it's fully utilized it services the park better.
That is not correct. You're not trying to optimize "attractions experienced," you're trying to optimize "minutes of guests entertained."

If I can ride Attraction A for 30 minutes and Attraction B for 5 minutes, Attraction B needs to have 6x the hourly throughput of Attraction A to break even.

(Queue time would also contribute to this, because queuing guests are at least "occupied" if not "entertained." But Disney has made the inexplicable decision to go VQ only for Guardians. Horrible, horrible decision.)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I think that's the plan, just not yet. They need the splashy, sexy, expensive stuff to drive sub growth, then they'll flip to a focus on the library to retain the subs and pivot towards profitability.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not seeing it. Recession, yes. But "much worse"?

Lots of fear out there, but the downward slide has been very orderly so far. This doesn't look anything like Fall 2008 or March 2020.

The inflationary bill is coming due, but what else would you expect when we absolutely juiced the money supply and supply chains are still in rough shape?
Just as Disney fans…

We need a recession. I’m gonna teach a class on why when people finally stop buying after hours…

A depression? Of course not. That’s strangling the baby and throwing out the bath water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom