Disney’s Q1 (Oct/Nov/Dec) FY 2020 Earnings Results Webcast on Tuesday, Feb 4, 4:30ET.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Anything on Hulu original content spending or increasing FX series production?

I think that they consider FX and everything it produces more Hulu content.

Also, Bob's been on record many times that all of the studios under the Disney banner will be leveraged for more streaming support. The priority is on D+, but we can presume anything more 'adult' will go to Hulu.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hmm still radio silence on Hulu's international expansion wonder if thats been put on the back burner for now?

Still planning and definitely committed to it, tho priority is on D+ first.

Must still be wrestling with rights.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
I gotta ask why that’s “surprising” at all? What we’ve seen from streaming is those that add the most amount of content: Netflix and prime...have become bigger players than those that try to stay more concentrated (ie Hulu or
CBS all access)

Gotta give the fickle people what they Want

Bob was just riffing to a stupid question.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The rollout was very good...the question is how do they sustain it? New content is key

Bob said twice that the church rate (people subbing and unsubbing) was favorable. He attributed pricing and bundles and people just watching their library.

Right now Disney has about four dozen projects in the pipeline which should also help. Not mention all those movies which made billions and will wind up exclusive on D+.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The audio of the call usually comes out in a day or two.

The transcript usually come out 2-3 later if anyone wants to read it and check my characterizations. :)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So officially: slight increase in attendance and the fruits of price increases?

Got it...it will be better next time when “Galaxy’s edge” opens and episode 9 comes out, eh?

(I kiiiiiidddd...i kid..)

Stripes

The audio of the call usually comes out in a day or two.

The transcript usually come out 2-3 later if anyone wants to read it and check my characterizations. :)
Surprisingly, the audio replay is already available.

seascape

28.6 million Disney Plus Customers
7.6 million ESPN+ Customers
30.7 million Hulu Customers

Their revenue for the quarter for Direct to Consumer. which includes the streaming services was 4 billion. The Division lost $693 million. That sounds horrible. But think about this. it only included 2 months of Disney Plus. Disney Plus is now brining in $157.3 million a month based upon 28.6 million customers. Then there is this to think about, the Division went from revenue of $0.9 billion a quarter to $4.0 billion a quarter. This currect quarter will not see too much more growth but the April to June quarter will see most of Europe and India added. Europe will bring in some real revenue growth. while India will bring in huge numbers of customers at a lower price point. Finally, in late 2020 thecrest of the world will start rolling out and in 2021 Hulu will start its worldwide rollout. So when will Disney's Direct to Consumer Division become profitable? The analysts questions today all seamed to believe Disney Plus will be profitable well before 2024. Even Iger said he may have to issue a change in guidance after the March rollout. If Europe and India are successful look for the August Conference call to be the one where Disney changed the 2024 prediction of profitability to 2021. As I said before, Disney was way too conservative in their numbers. It turns out I was a bit conservative too because I thougjt it would take till 2022.

mikejs78

Premium Member
28.6 million Disney Plus Customers
7.6 million ESPN+ Customers
30.7 million Hulu Customers

Their revenue for the quarter for Direct to Consumer. which includes the streaming services was 4 billion. The Division lost $693 million. That sounds horrible. But think about this. it only included 2 months of Disney Plus. Disney Plus is now brining in $157.3 million a month based upon 28.6 million customers. Then there is this to think about, the Division went from revenue of $0.9 billion a quarter to $4.0 billion a quarter. This currect quarter will not see too much more growth but the April to June quarter will see most of Europe and India added. Europe will bring in some real revenue growth. while India will bring in huge numbers of customers at a lower price point. Finally, in late 2020 thecrest of the world will start rolling out and in 2021 Hulu will start its worldwide rollout. So when will Disney's Direct to Consumer Division become profitable? The analysts questions today all seamed to believe Disney Plus will be profitable well before 2024. Even Iger said he may have to issue a change in guidance after the March rollout. If Europe and India are successful look for the August Conference call to be the one where Disney changed the 2024 prediction of profitability to 2021. As I said before, Disney was way too conservative in their numbers. It turns out I was a bit conservative too because I thougjt it would take till 2022.
Plus I think you may get another wave of customer sign ups with the fall slate. Mandalorian season 2. Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Wandavision...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Plus I think you may get another wave of customer sign ups with the fall slate. Mandalorian season 2. Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Wandavision...
The counter point to that theory is the library is rather small...and you may lose some people before then too...

They’ve already let all the traditionally Disney “horses” out of the barn.

That being said: i hope they get new subscribers by the gross...cause that will only happen with new original content. Especially when they start raising the prices

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
The counter point to that theory is the library is rather small...and you may lose some people before then too...

They’ve already let all the traditionally Disney “horses” out of the barn.

That being said: i hope they get new subscribers by the gross...cause that will only happen with new original content. Especially when they start raising the prices

You say the attendance is flat.

It's 2%.

You say that increase is not a lot.

Over the course of a year, that's 1.7 million more people.

You say you're worried about keeping subs.

Iger says twice that churn is favorable, and the sheer number of subs exceeding all expectations should tell you that churn is not an issue.

And so, you keep on with the churn nonsense saying their library is small.

That is laughable. The library is huge.

You say that D+ isn't getting stuff, well, here you go...

You say a lot of things. All wrong. Are you here to just troll? To tweak Disney's nose? Is there any hope of a good faith conversation with you that isn't riddled with nonsense that isn't true?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

It's 2%.

Iger says twice that churn is favorable, and the sheer number of subs exceeding all expectations should tell you that churn is not an issue.

You say a lot of things. All wrong. Are you here to just troll? To tweak Disney's nose? Is there any hope of a good faith conversation with you that isn't riddled with nonsense that isn't true?
And you...continue to misread the context of numbers more often than not.

2% is better than 0%...for sure...but it’s a 1/50th increase. And by the way, genius...In post #49 I quoted the news feed from this very website...the prior was a guess before the call. RIF. Try to keep up.

Did they open anything new this year? In Disneyland? How about WDW?

How’s that MAGA economy doing?

How’s that box office? Bet that episode 9 made $3 bil, huh?

Keep taking the “direct” approach and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don’t consider how the attendance has looked on the 5 year chart...where it went down and is close to back to where it should be with a tiny rate of growth.

And don’t look at where the money is coming from: price increases...not new bodies that would ensure longterm business.

Believe what you want...You’re right.

And I won’t even comment on the streaming...because I’m more than fair and WATCHING to see what happens after the rollout and rush...like 10 days after the iPhone debuts at the Apple store. Just be patient and let’s see how it goes and what they do with it

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
And you...continue to misread the context of numbers more often than not.

2% is better than 0%...for sure...but it’s a 1/50th increase.

Did they open anything new this year? In Disneyland? How about WDW?

How’s that MAGA economy doing?

How’s that box office? Bet that episode 9 made $3 bil, huh?

Keep taking the “direct” approach and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don’t consider how the attendance has looked on the 5 year chart...where it went down and is close to back to where it should be with a tiny rate of growth.

And don’t look at where the money is coming from: price increases...not new bodies that would ensure longterm business.

Believe what you want...You’re right.

Everyone here can see you're posting from ideology and not reality. Good day.

Disney Analyst

It's 2%.

You are on fire today! Love it.

I would also wager a huge chunk of those subs paid for a full year or the 3 year bundle. By the time renewal season comes around all the new content will be releasing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom