Disgruntled Disney Workers Give Leaflets At OIA

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
Funny you should mention this....

True Story. A Major Company that Will Remain Nameless (That May or May Not Have to do with Student Loans and May or May Not Be Based out of Reston, VA) decided to do some outsourcing. Fired most of its IT programmers and some of its software testers. Decided to move the entire operation to India.

Six months into the project, the Indian programmers were turning out crap. The software was buggy as hell. The project testers would generally identify the problems and get back to the Indians, who didnt have a clue as to what the tsters were saying. This goes back and forth for a few months. The company, realising that theyre beyond behind on the project, discreetly starts trying to find or rehire programmers locally to fix the software.

So..... Company, in effort to save money, fired lots of people. Found out that the people overseas couldnt do it and had to spend even more money to rehire the original people. So if they had just kept the workers in the first place, they'd have saved money.

Didnt say I endorsed it or it was allways the smart decision............

PhotoDave219

hakunamatata said:
Didnt say I endorsed it or it was allways the smart decision............
Never said you did. I just find it interesting how the supposed shot-term savings that a company allegedly gets from layoffs (downsizing) and outsourcing turn into long term losses and reduced profits.

cindrelly31

Ok - my question is: If the union members are asking for benefits NOT to be reduced or cut, why would they want to lower the attendence at the parks in support of what they want? Wouldn't it make sense to maybe encourage attendence so the the park makes a little more money so WDW can give them what they are asking for? That would make sense to me.

Also, Disney may have made double-digit increases to income, but they didn't get there by giving everyone what they want in benefits (except maybe M.E. :hurl: ) I hope that WDW will come around and see that without the union workers they don't have a Magical Theme Park. I support the workers and what they want, but don't do it at the expense of park attendence, the "upper echelon"(sp?) will use that as ammunition against you.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
Never said you did. I just find it interesting how the supposed shot-term savings that a company allegedly gets from layoffs (downsizing) and outsourcing turn into long term losses and reduced profits.

I agree that this happens in some cases.

PhotoDave219

My beef, especially with this one company im using as an example (Yes, some of this is inside information that never made the press) is that the Company will layoff a couple of hundred people and then give its management a huge bonus in the equivalence to the amount of money they're going to save from laying those people off.

I know it happened a few years ago at WDW, when they eliminated the position of lead's. The woman who's idea it was got an insane bonus - at the cost of eliminating X number jobs.

So someone explain to me this, How in corporate america can we keep from getting screwed like this?

speck76

PhotoDave219 said:
How in corporate america can we keep from getting screwed like this?

You can't.

For example, part of my bonus is based on profit. Whatever I do to effect profit, whether it is raise prices or cut costs, in the long run has an effect on my bonus.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
PhotoDave219 said:
I know it happened a few years ago at WDW, when they eliminated the position of lead's. The woman who's idea it was got an insane bonus - at the cost of eliminating X number jobs.

QUOTE]

The reason they can give that type of bonus is because after the initiation cycle (year the salaries would have been paid, but the money instead was paid as a bonus) the money saved goes to the company. In the long run, if the idea works and the company does not have to hire the group laid off back, it is financially sound.

Fornutaley or unfortunatley depending on how you look at it, corporations are in business to make money. They will make decisions that affect the bottom line and bring a greater return to their stockholders. Most companies now take into consideration the affect of mass layoffs and outsourcing into great consideration before implementing because they are aware of the negative backlash from the community in general and that fact that it ultimately may not work and they have to "retool" the operation.

speck76

PhotoDave219 said:
Even if in the long run it has a detrimental effect on the company and profits? That doesnt make much business sense to me....

Personally, I am bonused on a quarterly and annual basis. Decisions made for short term gain are no good, because, if we run a higher profit margin this year, I make out well, but, if it will hurt us next year, I will be hurt too.

Of course, if I leave before the crap hits the fan, I never get hurt. :lookaroun

Legacy

PhotoDave219 said:
So someone explain to me this, How in corporate america can we keep from getting screwed like this?
You can't.

Join the military and get paid flat rate no matter what you do, get yearly raises and also raises based on time in service. Also, free health and dental coverage, free educational benefits, extra money for food and board, extra money for clothing, PLUS bonus for field work and military schooling.

Combat Camera would be a GREAT MOS for you, Dave...

:D

PhotoDave219

Heh, I'll prefer being on the civilian side of the camera. And yes,m i'd love to do conflict photography. Its just that getting shot at thing....

Legacy

PhotoDave219 said:
Heh, I'll prefer being on the civilian side of the camera. And yes,m i'd love to do conflict photography. Its just that getting shot at thing....
You'll get hazard pay!

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
It seems to me that some of us here are making a lot of gross assumptions with regard to layoffs, bonuses, etc. Probably should have FACTS in hand first, prior to making GENERALIZATIONS, (hmm, where have I heard THAT word before) about companies of which we have no DIRECT knowledge.

Do companies make mistakes? Yes. Last I heard, human beings run companies. It's the conspiracy theory mindset at work here. Again, the class envy thing. Until we as a society get past that, arguing these points is just a bottomless pit, as it doesn't allow us to debate the issues with fact, but rather with attitudes that have been built on ones personal "issues" with what they may or may not have achieved in life.

Disney has to do what's best for everyone, not just one portion of the company. And ALL the employees of Disney know what the situation is with the company. They are aware of all of the different arms of the company, and all the markets that Disney is trying to tap. Like it or not, that affects everyone at the company. When one arm of the company loses money, the money to keep that arm afloat has to come from somewhere. Do I like it? No, but that's the REALITY.

These are all things that should be examined by INDIVIDUALS seeking employment with the company, along with the TRENDS of the particular division of the company with which they are seeking employment.

Someone on this forum told me once that I should deal with the realities of this particular situation.

I believe I just did.

Yen_Sid1

HennieBogan1966 said:
It seems to me that some of us here are making a lot of gross assumptions with regard to layoffs, bonuses, etc. Probably should have FACTS in hand first, prior to making GENERALIZATIONS, (hmm, where have I heard THAT word before) about companies of which we have no DIRECT knowledge.

That is absolutely true. I'm glad to hear finally, that you admit making all those generalizations before you actually had the facts.

I respect you for finally admitting your mistakes.

PhotoDave219

Actually i have direct knowledge, especially of the Sallie Mae outsourcing problems. There's nothing general about it. Check the washington post's archives if you dont believe me.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
As usual Yen

As usual Yen, you are WRONG. I made NO mistakes. Again, I'm trying to discuss this issue on the merits of the debate material itself. If you must persist in personal attacks, please take your useless comments elsewhere please.

I'd hate for the site administrator have to tell you the same.

Thanks much

Legacy

HennieBogan1966 said:
As usual Yen, you are WRONG. I made NO mistakes. Again, I'm trying to discuss this issue on the merits of the debate material itself. If you must persist in personal attacks, please take your useless comments elsewhere please.

I'd hate for the site administrator have to tell you the same.

Thanks much
You admonish his personal attacks and then call him useless in the same sentence? :veryconfu

How's that for both sides of the mouth?...

Jekyll

I'm sure there has been but if not has any cast member chimed in or are guest the only ones bringing up the merit of all of this. We have all shared opinions. Some in support some against the union but what is their opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom