Discriminated against FOR wearing a mask ?

Dreaming of Disney World

When I was 24, I was strangled to death by a guy with a towel when he found out I was gay. I say "to death' because my heart stopped for a full minute. It took 4 people to wrestle him off of me.
Now I bring that up, because wearing a mask for me is an unendurable Hell of gagging, and choking, and PTSD flashbacks, but until I got my vaccine, I was wearing it anyways and living through that Hell, because I was also high risk of death for three seperate issues, so while I probably could have gotten a dr's note to avoid having to wear one at work, I couldnt then give that note to the virus and not have it infect me. Im also a cashier at a gas station, so Ive pretty much been assuming Im going to get it and die for the past year (I was exposed and quarantined three times)
Since Ive gotten the vaccine, I got that note, and took it to my work, and thankfully dont have to go through reliving that trauma. I WILL say however, the first week or so (as an autistic person) VERY weird. Youd get guests coming in and saying "well THAT guy isnt wearing a mask, why should I have to?" and the like, or having people staring at me, with angry expressions. I feel like I was being judged on my decision NOT to wear a mask, and I had no interest in having to explain the story behind that trauma to every guest that comes into our store either.
Its gotten better as our state rolled back the restrictions and vaccinated people dont have to wear the mask anymore, just the unvaccinated

Edit: Im a former Cast Member, and even though its been 5 years Ive been seperated from the company, I still refer to customers as "guests" as I worked for Disney for 9 years and its a habit lol
That's so frightening. I'm so sorry you had to endure that. I can understand how wearing a mask is traumatic for you. I had never thought about that. Thanks for sharing.

tpac24

The anti mask Karens( " 'Murica ! " ) were treated accordingly by store staff when they tried testing the system when entering unmasked in a private business which had a posted policy at the entrance - no mask no service. Some were even arrested and some were fired from their employer ( ie insurance agent incident in FL Costco).

Oh some have medical conditions and must still wear a mask. Nothing dumb about that but there will be Karens still thinking that's dumb.
You are aware that there are Karen's on both sides ? Both equally annoying and both should really learn to mind their own business.

tpac24

Yes on both sides but did the other side critical of masks lose their job and or get arrested in the process?
I know tons of anti maskers who are happily working and thriving but I live in a state that doesn't arrest or allow people to be fired for their personal health views. Plus if we are being honest it is a one for one in terms of videos of these Karen's behaving badly .

Last edited:

Michaelson

I'm totally the person who drives alone with one on because i'm way WAY too lazy to sanitize my hands, take it off, hang it somewhere that it's not getting all "icky" or in my way while driving...id rather just wear the stupid thing. so toss "simple human laziness" in your arsenal of explanations for this (admittedly, weird) phenomenon. :happy:
LOL! :p Duly noted! HIGH regards! Michaelson

Lilofan

You are seriously comparing people who would refuse to wear a mask in the height of a pandemic, who by not wearing the mask could harm others versus someone who still chooses to wear a mask for the protection of themselves or a family member who can’t get the vaccine?

This might be the dumbest thing ever on this board and that’s saying a lot.
The Karens are still out there because their feelings are hurt.

jloucks

So with mask usage now looking to be weaned out for those who have been vaccinated i have a dilemma. I have been vaccinated, but intend to keep wearing my mask for a little longer - makes me feel a little safer.

However, by wearing a mask i do now risk be associated with as someone who has not been vaccinated - as some sort of anti vaxer rebel of some sort? Will i get evil glares, pointing, whispering behind my back, casual but polite moving away from me, not sitting next to us on attractions? LOL

Hmmm
Soo, I know how you feel. I carry a mask and wear it based on the crowd I am in.

Everyone or most folks wearing masks? - I'll wear a mask
The person or persons I am right next to wearing masks? - I'll wear a mask
Nobody wearing masks or few wearing masks - I'll pass on the mask.

I'm fully vaccinated (multi-strain flu and corona) and am not worried about catching anything, or more importantly passing something along, so mainly I wear it to make other people feel more comfortable. ...maybe too to avoid some stink-eye and/or saying for the umpteenth time I am vaccinated.

All of which might seem weird coming from somebody with a history of not caring what some think, lol, but this whole masking thing is just not something I am willing to start swinging a sword over. ...unless you come at me swinging first.

Now before I was vaccinated... that is a whole other story, which I think is against board rules to discuss :p

Lilofan

Soo, I know how you feel. I carry a mask and wear it based on the crowd I am in.

Everyone or most folks wearing masks? - I'll wear a mask
The person or persons I am right next to wearing masks? - I'll wear a mask
Nobody wearing masks or few wearing masks - I'll pass on the mask.

I'm fully vaccinated (multi-strain flu and corona) and am not worried about catching anything, or more importantly passing something along, so mainly I wear it to make other people feel more comfortable. ...maybe too to avoid some stink-eye and/or saying for the umpteenth time I am vaccinated.

All of which might seem weird coming from somebody with a history of not caring what some think, lol, but this whole masking thing is just not something I am willing to start swinging a sword over. ...unless you come at me swinging first.

Now before I was vaccinated... that is a whole other story, which I think is against board rules to discuss :p
On my United flight most recently the stewardess advised on the loudspeaker that ones that do not comply with wearing a mask on the plane other than in the process of actual eating and drinking will be subject to arrest and fines, their plane, their rules. There were no disturbances and everyone around me in the full flight had their masks on including covering their noses.

jloucks

People wearing a mask will fall into one of four camps:

1. Vaccinated, but still very concerned about Covid
2. Vaccinated, but have grown accustomed to wearing masks and figure it's probably healthier in general
3. Unvaccinated, but are following the rules and/or being polite
4. Vaccinated or unvaccinated, but have a really cool collection of masks and are wearing them as accessories.

I don't find anything wrong with any of these personal choices.
5. Vaccinated, but like to make other people comfortable. (so basically #3 but vaccinated)

Parker in NYC

I’ll tell you what, people bumping up behind me at the checkout line yesterday because “we’re free to breathe down each other’s necks again”. I turned around and asked for space and the person told me that social distancing was over. Fun. I can’t imagine what treasures lie in store at WDW.

BWW

Amen!

I literally wore a mask to work the other day -- even though my workplace no longer requires it for the fully vaccinated, which I am -- because I had a giant zit on my cheek that I wanted to hide. Sometimes masking is as much a win for my self-confidence as for my physical health.
I've thought of this, too! Haha

Lilofan

Amen!

I literally wore a mask to work the other day -- even though my workplace no longer requires it for the fully vaccinated, which I am -- because I had a giant zit on my cheek that I wanted to hide. Sometimes masking is as much a win for my self-confidence as for my physical health.
There is always acne makeup too.

Runbevo83

When I was 24, I was strangled to death by a guy with a towel when he found out I was gay. I say "to death' because my heart stopped for a full minute. It took 4 people to wrestle him off of me.
Now I bring that up, because wearing a mask for me is an unendurable Hell of gagging, and choking, and PTSD flashbacks, but until I got my vaccine, I was wearing it anyways and living through that Hell, because I was also high risk of death for three seperate issues, so while I probably could have gotten a dr's note to avoid having to wear one at work, I couldnt then give that note to the virus and not have it infect me. Im also a cashier at a gas station, so Ive pretty much been assuming Im going to get it and die for the past year (I was exposed and quarantined three times)
Since Ive gotten the vaccine, I got that note, and took it to my work, and thankfully dont have to go through reliving that trauma. I WILL say however, the first week or so (as an autistic person) VERY weird. Youd get guests coming in and saying "well THAT guy isnt wearing a mask, why should I have to?" and the like, or having people staring at me, with angry expressions. I feel like I was being judged on my decision NOT to wear a mask, and I had no interest in having to explain the story behind that trauma to every guest that comes into our store either.
Its gotten better as our state rolled back the restrictions and vaccinated people dont have to wear the mask anymore, just the unvaccinated

Edit: Im a former Cast Member, and even though its been 5 years Ive been seperated from the company, I still refer to customers as "guests" as I worked for Disney for 9 years and its a habit lol
We worry to much about what other people are doing when it is having no effect on us as well. You do you and don't explain it to anyone unless YOU want too. Keep smiling and respecting others and you'll get it back. And for those that don't, Karma is coming. :)

Trackmaster

Next time they jeer and snicker at you, demand to see their vaccine card or proof of vaccination, and if they can't provide it, demand that they mask up until they get their vaccine.

I guarantee you that anybody who won't let others wear masks are anti-vaccine, and thus should not be permitted to be barefaced.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom