Discovery Island - Worth it?

PhantomX

Theres actually an abandoned area in Fort Wilderness that I found a few years back thats not blocked off and you can like walk on this bridge over the lake that has gaps in it and broken wood :eek: . It's so dangerous I can't believe Disney hasn't fixed/maintained it (yea right who am I kiding? they'd probably just wall it off like they do everything else rather than repair it)

mastif

They never turn off lights. The lights on the second floor of the Imagination pavilion are still on also.

Most of that building is still used, it's not an abandoned island. Plus only a very few lights are left on in imagination upstairs, that area is still used by CM's on a daily basis.

Imagineer Mitch

can someone explain to me about discovery island and why it shut down and isn't it located on the same island as river country? and when did discovery island close?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
can someone explain to me about discovery island and why it shut down and isn't it located on the same island as river country? and when did discovery island close?
Discovery island basically became redundant once AK opened. River country is not on an island. It is on the banks of Bay Lake, Discovery Island is an island on Bay Lake across from River Country. It ceased operation in late 2001 and officially closed in January of 2005.

Texas84

I did it once. A bunch of big guys in black suits, sunglasses and wearing mouse ears beat the crap out of me. Never again.

mastif

The only way to get there is by taking you SeaRaycer to one of the docks and hopping out which is extremely risky. I'm sure a passing boat will see your empty SeaRaycer by the dock and report it.

But you can try it, take pics, and let us all know what it's like 10 years after it closed!

PS: I was being sarcastic buddy. DON'T DO IT!

If you had an acomplice you could have them drop you off at the island while they circle it then pick you up again :cool:

jrlang1

Theres actually an abandoned area in Fort Wilderness that I found a few years back thats not blocked off and you can like walk on this bridge over the lake that has gaps in it and broken wood :eek: . It's so dangerous I can't believe Disney hasn't fixed/maintained it (yea right who am I kiding? they'd probably just wall it off like they do everything else rather than repair it)

Yeah. Are you talking about the swamp nature trail in the north east

Skyway

What is the status of the FW Swamp Trail?

I remember hiking back there about 10 years ago, and the wood boardwalks were all still open. It was probably the most secluded place at WDW.

But then a few years later, they boarded up the walkways (They didn't tear them out. Instead they nailed huge plywood board over the walkway, so you couldn't access them.

Did the walkways ever reopen? Have they been torn out?

jrlang1

What is the status of the FW Swamp Trail?

I remember hiking back there about 10 years ago, and the wood boardwalks were all still open. It was probably the most secluded place at WDW.

But then a few years later, they boarded up the walkways (They didn't tear them out. Instead they nailed huge plywood board over the walkway, so you couldn't access them.

Did the walkways ever reopen? Have they been torn out?

I had checked it out about 2 years ago and the hurican damage has almost completly covered the trail. I am leaving from MA to the campground the day after tomorrow and i am planning the check out the swamp trail.

Timmay

Eh...I am a bit skeptic about the "sneaking onto DI" blog and pictures. Not doubting the person was there...but I don't exactly buy the whole story.

It is a little like "sneaking into Chernobyl"...not exactly as it is presented.

It is always good if the story is more dramatic!!!

glee

I have a feeling that this may turn into a "Holy lord, I can't believe he said that" type of thread, but I'm gonna go ahead anyway.

Suppose someone wanted to make an "excursion" over to Discovery Island. Would one encounter any problems along the way, and is it even worth it?

---TrevorA

Not now VIRGIN is gone.:snore:

Next Big Thing

Eh...I am a bit skeptic about the "sneaking onto DI" blog and pictures. Not doubting the person was there...but I don't exactly buy the whole story.

It is a little like "sneaking into Chernobyl"...not exactly as it is presented.

It is always good if the story is more dramatic!!!
There is a article written on him and some of the people he goes on these explorations with that he links too on his blog. He himself is actually more of a nude photographer in urban areas, but he does go along with a group of urban explorers in NY to explore unknown and forgotten areas of the city. Steve Duncan is one of the main ones from that group. I have no doubt that this is completely real. Read this article and you'll see more what i'm talking about: http://www.good.is/post/urban-cowboys/

RobGraves

this photo in his collection is.... interesting and disturbing.

disc9.jpg

That type of coke bottle has only been in use since 2008.

Bigart

so if that is the case, it means someone has been over at the island recently collecting snakes and putting them in jars. Can you say creepy?

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Either this past June or back in June 2008 (can't quite recall) I saw a boat docked at Discovery Island and about three or four people standing on the dock. It seems that CM's do go over there from time to time for something at least. What that something is, I have no idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom