Discount does not apply to all rooms? Not happy right now.

TJDinMA

Hello. So my family and I going to WDW staying the Contemporary Resort from 7/28 until 8/4/2014. We assumed that a 30% off would apply to all existing reservations. When I called to make a payment today we were told our room did not apply to that as they only had a certain number of rooms for the discount and we had to call and ask for one! Needless to say I almost cancelled my reservation and had to hand my phone to the wife to get the correct information. Has this happened to anybody before? The discount has always automatically been applied to our reservation. Thanks for listening to me venting.

jlsHouston

And I see the garden view or the bay lake view in the tower available with the summer discount. What category did you book. If you want theme park view then you would have to bump to club level

Depending on what category of your initial booking it may or may not be offered at a discount. But you can certainly change your room category and get a discount if it is available.

I always book the cheapest view/category available. I am not going to sit on the patio or balcony long enough for it to matter what I look at. On the other hand I do ask for locations near elevators but the room category could be anything for that request to be honored.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Why would Disney automatically discount every room when a new discount is released?

You need to realize why they release new offers - to fill resort rooms; and they base this on resort occupancy for the dates in question. If a resort is already booked to the proper level, they will not offer discounts at those resorts. This is why you see certain resorts being excluded when offers are released.

I believe MouseSavers.com puts it best "Disney World resort discount codes must be thought of as a “clearance sale” — if you want the discount, you have to be willing to take what’s left over! It’s important to be flexible with both dates and hotels, and to be persistent in calling back periodically to see if anything has opened up."

Upvote 0

TJDinMA

Original Poster
Why wouldn't they discount a pre-existing reservation? Why should someone who only books when their is a discount get the break?

Upvote 0

TJDinMA

Original Poster
We had a theme park view in the Cont. Tower. Really disappointed in Disney right now. The discount should apply to all reservations. Last time we went we had a pre existing reservation it automatically applied.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We had a theme park view in the Cont. Tower. Really disappointed in Disney right now. The discount should apply to all reservations. Last time we went we had a pre existing reservation it automatically applied.
How could it apply to all reservations when they stipulate a limited number of discounts apply?

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Most of the time when they release discounts, it's only for a certain number of rooms. They do not update your reservation automatically when a new discount is offered! U need to call them and ask for it to be applied to your reservation. Sound like the discount offers were fully taken so u got left out! But if u want the discount u have to do the leg work to get it, and fast! Better luck next time! Disney did nothing wrong here, you shouldn't be upset...

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Well the theme park view is discounted in Club. Or take a different room category that is discounted. Or pay rack rate. Those are basically your choices. You could keep waiting and MAYBE the theme park view will eventually discount if they don't fill them. But if you want a discounted room, any discounted room at the CONT, I would grab one now because I stalk the website and run prices for rooms more than people stalk for ADR's at BOG and CONT will book faster than all other resorts with discount rooms available, theme park view or not.
Same with standard room at BC, you want the cheapest room at BC, when it discounts book it immediately, they run out fast.

Upvote 0

TJDinMA

Original Poster
You clearly don't understand the purpose of discounts.
Ok Cretin, I did not understand how Disney worked their discounts. I can understand that they want to bring more people into the resort to sell out rooms, but people who booked first should clearly have access to the discounted room rates.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Why wouldn't they discount a pre-existing reservation? Why should someone who only books when their is a discount get the break?

Because we have a market driven economy....let me re state that we have a FREE market driven economy.

Hey I paid rack rate once for a room at the POLY over Thanksgiving in 2012. $500 bucks a night. Waited past the expiration of the discounts to book those dates and I only wanted to stay at the POLY. This is all supply and demand stuff. They have a supply of rooms with different types of views. There are higher demands for some than others. Therefore if they chose to not discount certain room categories because they can sell them at rack rate for the season, they will.

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

Ok Cretin, I did not understand how Disney worked their discounts. I can understand that they want to bring more people into the resort to sell out rooms, but people who booked first should clearly have access to the discounted room rates.

You do, but not necessarily the theme park view. You can book garden in the tower for $300 bucks/night with the discount. I would jump all over that and go to level 4 viewing when I wanted a visual on the castle from the resort

Upvote 0

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Because it's already sold.

If you buy a Winter dress today and three weeks later the department store puts it on sale to make room for Spring dresses, you don't expect to get a rebate do you? There is no price protection.

Upvote 0

TJDinMA

Original Poster
Wow,..some really hostile people one this website. Clearly some people have way too much time checking out when their is a discount.

Upvote 0

unkadug

Wow...do you really need to call people names....some people need to grow up.

Upvote 0

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Wow,..some really hostile people one this website. Clearly some people have way too much time checking out when their is a discount.

I think the problem was that you blame Disney here, when they are not at fault. That is why people are responding in the way they are. And trust me, when Disney IS at fault, they will be the first to say something, haha ;)

Upvote 0

jlsHouston

I'm sorry I am not being hostile. Honestly I would snag that garden view rate at $ 300/night for your dates. Then as your dates get closer keep checking the website to see if they do open discounts for theme park view. IMO they won't but maybe, you never know. The deluxes don't fill to capacity as often and you may in fact be able to switch back to that view category with the summer discount as your vacation dates approach. Just remember what I told you, of all the deluxe resorts, the CONT fills the fastest, followed by standard view rooms at the BC.

I don't think YOU have a bad attitude simply because you don't understand how the room discounts work. You shouldn't take the advice and info we give as hostile, it is actually informative.
Now if you are just venting that your choice of room category doesn't warrant a summer discount that is fine but I thought you did not understand why reservations wouldn't apply a discount for you.

Upvote 0

unkadug

I'm sorry I am not being hostile. Honestly I would snag that garden view rate at $ 300/night for your dates. Then as your dates get closer keep checking the website to see if they do open discounts for theme park view. IMO they won't but maybe, you never know. The deluxes don't fill to capacity as often and you may in fact be able to switch back to that view category with the summer discount as your vacation dates approach. Just remember what I told you, of all the deluxe resorts, the CONT fills the fastest, followed by standard view rooms at the BC.

I don't think YOU have a bad attitude simply because you don't understand how the room discounts work. You shouldn't take the advice and info we give as hostile, it is actually informative.
Now if you are just venting that your choice of room category doesn't warrant a summer discount that is fine but I thought you did not understand why reservations wouldn't apply a discount for you.
No...you are just being a cretin too for not agreeing with her. :geek:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom