Disappointed

mrtoad

brich said:
But then you have to question, was the neglect happing during the good ol' times and just finally catching up to WDW. things don't rust out over night. I'm pretty sure the park was made pretty solid. So long as it's still standing, I'm happy.. :lol:

I'm guilty. My brakes started going 2 months ago. They still stop me but I'm sure the bill will be heavy when I do get them fixed... :brick:

Could be right in the first part but I don't know. I know for sure that I never saw tons of peeling paint anywhere yet now I do. Also if you let if get too bad it can be dangerous. Look at this photo I took on our last trip that I am sending to WDW management. Not only does it look bad it is very dangerous. If someone cuts themselves on that it could be serious. This is the fense outside the MK that leads to the busses (ones closest to the water).

http://mrtoad.smugmug.com/photos/34096259-L.jpg

As for the brakes, the example was my wife. :( She had been feeling something in her brakes and did not tell me. She went in for service and asked about it, we picked up the car yesterday. $700+ :cry:

HunnyPot

I'm sorry you were disappointed. I have seen that in my last few trips too, with the service not being exactly what you want. The last time we were there, the elevator opperator at ToT didn't say a word, just pointed where we should stand, and then, he explained the seat belts in a drone and we were off. It was very disappointing that he didn't say anything about "enjoying our stay." Again, sorry you had a disappointing time.

jeff_in_FL2003

ConstanceIrene said:
I have asked CMs about this practice of taking back the CMs from guests and the answer I got was that it varies from manager to manager. Could somebody tell me, for future reference, if there is a time limit (say, 3-5 minutes) for speaking with a particular CM before they send in the troops to break it up? I'd rather know so next year this guest won't feel like she's overstayed her welcome.

The only thing I was ever told as a CM was not to clump around with other CMs. I can't imagine ever being asked to stop interacting with a guest unless it was creating a situation, like if I was loading boats at PotC and just kept the same person there talking to them, it would hold up the line. That's the only type of instance I can think of that would warrant a supervisor to step in. There are guidelines we CMs follow and one of them is to seek out guest contact. So I can't think of a time when I've been asked not to do so. We're even encouraged to "Take 5" with a guest whenever possible and are even recognized thru a program when we are "caught" doing this. And yet, I can absolutely imagine the situation arising. For some reason there are those managers and supervisors who would rather have you just go about your job than stop a while and talk to a guest. There needs to be a balance, in my opinion.

Jeff °o°

wannab@dis

mrtoad said:
Could be right in the first part but I don't know. I know for sure that I never saw tons of peeling paint anywhere yet now I do. Also if you let if get too bad it can be dangerous. Look at this photo I took on our last trip that I am sending to WDW management. Not only does it look bad it is very dangerous. If someone cuts themselves on that it could be serious. This is the fense outside the MK that leads to the busses (ones closest to the water).

http://mrtoad.smugmug.com/photos/34096259-L.jpg

As for the brakes, the example was my wife. :( She had been feeling something in her brakes and did not tell me. She went in for service and asked about it, we picked up the car yesterday. $700+ :cry:

Do you think maybe the reason you didn't see it in the past was because you were focused on enjoying the atmosphere instead of looking for problems? I'm sure that if I went into the parks or the BEST resort I would find problems if I walked around looking for them to take a picture.

I'm not saying that problems do not exist. I'm saying that our recollections of the past are glossed over with remembering the good times. In addition, maybe we didn't LOOK for problems in the past. If I walked into MK right now, I'm sure I could find a burnt out bulb if I look hard enough. But I don't go looking for it, so I don't notice any. If I did notice a burnt out bulb or chipped paint, then I would think, wow, I can't believe I don't see more with so many bulbs or so much to keep painted.

My point has been and continues to be that the attitude and expectations of the person affects what they see, take notice of and experience.

brich

That fence is a bit nasty. But I'm not sure I would have noticed that. I don't know if someone would get hurt on that post unless they were climbing on it, in which case, that is neglect on the guests part. That fence isn't there to climb on...

Maybe Wannab@dis is right. I never notice things that I would take a picture of and send it to Disney or post but I'm guessing it's because I'm more interested in looking for expressions on my kids faces and ways of taken pictures of the Castle that are different from the 3000 I have already taken of the Castle :lol:

I just have to agree that there are some who go enough to WDW that you have the time to look for and document stuff like this. I, on the otherhand, have only so many days to run my kids ragged through the parks and ride as much as we can and eat as much as we can and buy as much as we can. :eek:

mrtoad

So you know, I do not go looking for it but if I see it I don't kid myself it is not there.

wannab@dis said:
Do you think maybe the reason you didn't see it in the past was because you were focused on enjoying the atmosphere instead of looking for problems? I'm sure that if I went into the parks or the BEST resort I would find problems if I walked around looking for them to take a picture.

I'm not saying that problems do not exist. I'm saying that our recollections of the past are glossed over with remembering the good times. In addition, maybe we didn't LOOK for problems in the past. If I walked into MK right now, I'm sure I could find a burnt out bulb if I look hard enough. But I don't go looking for it, so I don't notice any. If I did notice a burnt out bulb or chipped paint, then I would think, wow, I can't believe I don't see more with so many bulbs or so much to keep painted.

My point has been and continues to be that the attitude and expectations of the person affects what they see, take notice of and experience.

mrtoad

The only reason I noticed the fence is my daughter who is mch smaller and closer to ground so it and went to touch it and I had to stop her. She was not climbing on it but saw it and as a curious kid went to see it.

Kids do that and that is an issue with something like that as someone could get cut.

brich said:
That fence is a bit nasty. But I'm not sure I would have noticed that. I don't know if someone would get hurt on that post unless they were climbing on it, in which case, that is neglect on the guests part. That fence isn't there to climb on...

Maybe Wannab@dis is right. I never notice things that I would take a picture of and send it to Disney or post but I'm guessing it's because I'm more interested in looking for expressions on my kids faces and ways of taken pictures of the Castle that are different from the 3000 I have already taken of the Castle :lol:

I just have to agree that there are some who go enough to WDW that you have the time to look for and document stuff like this. I, on the otherhand, have only so many days to run my kids ragged through the parks and ride as much as we can and eat as much as we can and buy as much as we can. :eek:

mrtoad

I forgot to mention the reason I take the photos is to send to Disney. I am hopeful that by doing so maybe some of the mess will be cleaned up...

It is not not like I put them in my photo albums or frame them because they mean so much to me. :rolleyes:

wannab@dis said:

jeff_in_FL2003 said:
The only thing I was ever told as a CM was not to clump around with other CMs. I can't imagine ever being asked to stop interacting with a guest unless it was creating a situation, like if I was loading boats at PotC and just kept the same person there talking to them, it would hold up the line. That's the only type of instance I can think of that would warrant a supervisor to step in. There are guidelines we CMs follow and one of them is to seek out guest contact. So I can't think of a time when I've been asked not to do so. We're even encouraged to "Take 5" with a guest whenever possible and are even recognized thru a program when we are "caught" doing this. And yet, I can absolutely imagine the situation arising. For some reason there are those managers and supervisors who would rather have you just go about your job than stop a while and talk to a guest. There needs to be a balance, in my opinion.

Jeff °o°

Thanks, Jeff. I was told the same thing that you posted by some other CMs at WDW. Still, the reassurance was welcomed.

phichi17

I find that the nicer and more plesant I am, the better service and response I get wherever I go, not just WDW. I am not saying that you were rude, but what I described above has (almost) always worked for me.

For example, we checked in last year to POR. The counter person was obviously not having a "magical" day. I took the high road with her and by the end of the checkin, she seemed to be in a bit better mood.

I guess it is all in how you approach things.

In addition, I have rarely had a truely bad experience with any CM, the one'e I have encountered seemed to truely care about the overall guest experience.

spectropluto

Lol

I LITERALLY laughed out loud reading that!

Getting it framed and matted...
or doing Creative Memories...

Wow...yea...that's funny! (I mean it, I really AM laughing! NO sarcasm!)
thanks for the smile! :)

*T

mrtoad said:
I forgot to mention the reason I take the photos is to send to Disney. I am hopeful that by doing so maybe some of the mess will be cleaned up...

It is not not like I put them in my photo albums or frame them because they mean so much to me. :rolleyes:

phichi17

spectropluto said:
I LITERALLY laughed out loud reading that!

Getting it framed and matted...
or doing Creative Memories...

Wow...yea...that's funny! (I mean it, I really AM laughing! NO sarcasm!)
thanks for the smile! :)

*T

Well, if its funny to you, then so be it!:D Its my creedo.

Budahman

In April this year, my wife and I had a few things (mostly cast members) that weren't very magical on that trip. I even came back and posted my trip report on here. Some other member told me to contact Guest Relations so I did.
Well, it took approx 2 mths before I ever heard back from Disney, but I did hear back so was glad about that.
After stating what happened to us, in a new email to guest relations, I never heard back to this day.
I mean I have been to WDW approx 11 times over the last 9 years and I am going back again this December, next spring and next fall. I know things will happen and cast members have bad days, but I just hope it's at least another 10 yrs before I experience it again.

I'd like to finish by saying to all the cast members that great me and my family with a good morning and a hi when we arrive.......I say...THANK YOU.!!

I do appreciate your gracious welcome both at that moment and still now.

Laura

Premium Member
Maybe Disney is less "perfect" than it was 10 years ago, but I still find it to be the most pleasant, friendly, amazing place on Earth, and I'm thankful that it is what it is.

Follow up your Disney vacation with a trip to Six Flags and then see how you feel about Disney.

remingtonsteele

As a current Attractions CM, I have found this an interesting thread. I do agree about how guest expectations can make it more difficult to do the little things to make guests happy. As an example, many at my attraction, myself included, really dislike working FP Return. Why? There is a terrible ratio of guest satisfaction. An example: you have a return time of 3:00 on your FP. You came up to me at FP Return at 2:50, and I ask you to wait a few minutes. Almost all of the guests I deal with expect to be let in 10 min. early at the very least, but my responsibility, as conveyed by my manager, is to make they wait until the time. If I let them in a few minutes early, I could be in trouble, and the guest EXPECTS that, so they don't think I am doing anything "magical" for them. If I make them wait till 3:00, most think I am a jerk for not letting them in sooner, some tell me "you don't know how to do your job." If people didn't expect the rules to be broken for them, they may notice CM trying to help in little ways.

OmegaKnight

remingtonsteele said:
As a current Attractions CM, I have found this an interesting thread. I do agree about how guest expectations can make it more difficult to do the little things to make guests happy. As an example, many at my attraction, myself included, really dislike working FP Return. Why? There is a terrible ratio of guest satisfaction. An example: you have a return time of 3:00 on your FP. You came up to me at FP Return at 2:50, and I ask you to wait a few minutes. Almost all of the guests I deal with expect to be let in 10 min. early at the very least, but my responsibility, as conveyed by my manager, is to make they wait until the time. If I let them in a few minutes early, I could be in trouble, and the guest EXPECTS that, so they don't think I am doing anything "magical" for them. If I make them wait till 3:00, most think I am a jerk for not letting them in sooner, some tell me "you don't know how to do your job." If people didn't expect the rules to be broken for them, they may notice CM trying to help in little ways.
I work in merchandise and we also have certain rules in which we have to follow. For instance, a guest wanted to pay with a credit card, which wasn't signed on the back. As per our rules, if they aren't signed, we have to request a photo i.d. Well, this guest didn't have a photo I.D. so I couldn't accept his credit card. He started to go off on me that this was the card he used to buy $1,500 in tickets to get into the park and they didn't ask for an I.D. there. I politely told them that CM wasn't doing their job properly and I would be happy to get my manager for them. He paid with another form of payment but he was really mean to me the whole time. Why guests get angry at us for doing our job properly is beyond me.

mrtoad

I agree on that. If the time says 3:00 it means 3:00. The funny thing is they could go and do something else and still make their time. Does not make sense to me why they would do that to you.

remingtonsteele said:

DisneyDellsDude

wannab@dis said:
Nice rant... Couldn't have said it better. :wave:

My favorite posts are those trip reports where someone points out everything wrong they found and that's it. They say little about the good.

That's what I feel goes on with the news. They will do a 20 min report on someone and how they died or something, and they hardly say anything about the good things that go on in the world.

lebeau

phichi17 said:
I find that the nicer and more plesant I am, the better service and response I get wherever I go, not just WDW. I am not saying that you were rude, but what I described above has (almost) always worked for me.

For example, we checked in last year to POR. The counter person was obviously not having a "magical" day. I took the high road with her and by the end of the checkin, she seemed to be in a bit better mood.

I guess it is all in how you approach things.

In addition, I have rarely had a truely bad experience with any CM, the one'e I have encountered seemed to truely care about the overall guest experience.

This is definitely the case. People think that if they throw a fit and intimidate customer service employees, they will get better service. But 9 times out of 10, the opposite happens. If you make someone want to help you, you will get much better service than if you inspire them to do as little as possible to make you go away.

I am frequently amazed by the behavior people exhibit in the hopes of getting something free thrown their way.

DisneyMom63

Account Suspended
Mimi said:
I'll start by stating that, like most of you, I can't find words to express how I feel about Disney World. I always thought of it as the closest thing we have to Heaven on Earth. I have visited almost every year of my life and will hopefully continue to do so for the remainder of my life. But....

I just returned from my trip and I find myself a little disappointed. That famous "white glove" service just didn't seem to be there. I'm spoiled, I know, but I was only wished a magical day one time! :(

In addition, I witnessed a few disheartening things, the worst of which was a heated argument between 3 cleaning ladies in the bathroom at the Grand Floridian Cafe. And I mean HEATED. All three were yelling at each other for a while and then two of them were screaming at the third to "GET OUT!!!!" Needless to say I high-tailed it out of there. I almost started to cry as I walked away. :cry: That kind of thing can't happen in Disney World... can it?!? :confused:
Get a clue! These people are payed subhuman wages so you can't expect them to be cheary 24/7....:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom