Disappointed

PirateJ

AbsolutDiznee said:
I'm very suprised to see the responses on this forum of people making excuses for Disney's faults. Disney wrote the book on customer service...literally. I just did a search on barnesandnoble.com to find books on Disney's customer service. The Disney Institute has written a book entitled "Be Our Guest: The Art of Perfecting Customer Service." In addition, numerous books have been written about Disney's exemplary committment to customer service. Disney does not consider itself in the same league with other theme/amusement parks and should not be compared to them. When I go to Disney I expect to be treated special, because that's what they pride themselves on. To see that this service is slipping is an embarassment to the values that Disney was built on.

AbsolutDiz I couldn't agree more! (We seem to agree a lot) hehe. Disney is the one that sets the service expectation...Not the customer. They have consistently set themselves apart by providing their 'white glove service' and have recently fell dangerously below expectation and are now trying to turn it around and blame it on the consumers for having the same high expectations. All I have to say is Disney better put customer service on its list of top priorities.

Mimi

Original Poster
Rebuttal

I must comment on some of the responses to my original post...

I never said anything about expecting free things or to be treated better than other guests. I expect what Disney has raised me to expect: good customer service/relations.

A major part of the Disney experience is that it is an escape from reality. You are taken away from the daily grind of life and immersed in an environment where many real life problems disappear. I'm not a picky person, but in my wildest dreams I never would have believed I would see what I saw on this trip. This is not acceptable, and I believe Walt Disney would agree with me.

Tigger1988

PirateJ said:
AbsolutDiz I couldn't agree more! (We seem to agree a lot) hehe. Disney is the one that sets the service expectation...Not the customer. They have consistently set themselves apart by providing their 'white glove service' and have recently fell dangerously below expectation and are now trying to turn it around and blame it on the consumers for having the same high expectations. All I have to say is Disney better put customer service on its list of top priorities.

I agree, the "high expectations" come from what Disney gave us for years!

goofyman

thats too bad that these things happen. We just got back yesterday and we were just saying how WONDERFUL all the CM were that we dealt with. We met a man in Epcot that gave us priority seating for illuminations just because we had the same name. We thought things look great all around. And we also go each year and though evryone was more friendly and helpful then in the past.

AliceFan

Well said.

mousermerf said:
A few things - "have a magical day" is considered unoriginal and insinscere and thus it was asked of the cast to discontinue using it, they're actually required to use original and catered closings in conversation to show they were actually listening to what you said.

I suppose cliche and what everyone else heard was prefered, this makes sense considering most folks feel someone, somewhere, is getting better service and since they're not getting the "special" its ruining their vacation.

Second, CMs are human beings. I'm sure you talk with your co-workers, and i'm sure you discuss all aspects of your life. I'm more than positive you don't always speak proper english and you don't use the cleanest language either.

Mimi, you've got 29 posts - suggesting that your interest in a site like this one is new, probably jsut prior to this last trip. Here you can read the exploits of Disney World in minute detail, you can become informed in the workings, and know what the standards actually are. For example, how many people would know about towel animals if not for sites like this?

With that in mind - we've got a dissapointed thread about not gettign a towel animals.

The point being, Disney does lots of stuff that is above and beyond - but they honestly don't do it for everyone all of the time. They pick and choose, it's all discretionary and rarely is more than dumb luck. However, with the popularity of communication, people get the feeling that they "need" that special act or treatment for their trip. Further examples being the multiple requests we've had here for information about how to be picked for a parade marshall position, or how to be the guest of the day.

People find out about something special, a simple act done for one person, and begin to demand it. There was no mandate to wish anyone a magical day - it grew from one specialized greeting into an expectation, which the company has made a noticeable attempt to remove.

Disney really tries to make magic for people - they do it every day. However, good intention is never much of a match for humanity and the general public. By definition, everyone cannot be "special" or as Dash says in the Incredibles: "Saying everyone is special is just another way of saying no one is."

Minus your knowledge of Disney's actions from boards like these, you'd probably have far fewer expectations. Things not happening wouldn't dampen your day. You wont be plagued by the fear that someone, somewhere, is getting better treatment than yourself. In short, you might enjoy yourself more.

Imagine, just for a moment: Entering the park, seeing the castle - not desiring to enter it at 7am and eating with princesses because you've been told it's the most magical thing ever - and enjoying the real magic of Disney. The part everyone does "get." That's what makes it special.

wannab@dis

Tigger1988 said:
I don't think we dreamed up the way the parks used to look, the way CMs used to act etc...thats how things were. Now, the parks are seriously lacking, I'm not going to go cry over chipped paint, but seeing the parks in such a condition is saddening. The "good ol' days" really happened, and I for one miss them alot.

I'm just going by my experiences. I had trips in the early 80's, 90's and each of the last 4 years. I personally can't say that the parks are "lacking" by any means.

mrtoad

The parks did have less chippng paint in the past. That is not people's imaginations. I have been going to WDW since 1972 and they are not kept as well. There use to be a job where one person would scrape and repaint the horse head posts (not sure of the real name) one after another and start again at the begining. I beleive the whole process was 1 1/2 months per cycle. This is in a Disney book, I believe "Since the World Began", but not sure that is the one. I don't have time to go looking right now.

The point is, that WDW is not kept up the way it use to be but I think it has gotten much better in the past couple of years than it was a while back. Sure it is better than many other places but it is not what people who have been going to WDW for years upon years have come to expect.

Do I see a lot of good things happening? Sure do. I just stayed at POR and I think the room rehabs are awesome. The work done on the tile in the sink area and bathroom is beautiful. I think the work done on It's a Small World is also awesome. Super bright and shiny the way it should be.

A lot of the problems come down to guests who don't do the right thing either. People will see napkins all over the ground outside an eating place and think that the park is a mess. 5 minutes prior one peson dropped all those napkins and could not be bothered to pick them up. That was wrong to do. I don't think anyone should litter whether it is at WDW or anywhere else.

I think that both the guest and the employees need to do a better job. Not all on either side of the fence but some on both sides...

wannab@dis said:
You're right... but...

As someone has already pointed out, customer service is in the eye of the beholder. Someone may be getting exceptional customer service, but they think it should be better. Having said that, I think cursing around guests is wrong and should never happen. Seeing CM's arguing or fussing around guests is wrong. In addition, some people's idea of service is overwhelmed by their attitude. I believe I see things with an optimistic attitude. From my experience, saying that finding a "good" CM is rare may be stretching things a bit. Getting upset that someone says "ain't" just ain't that big of deal to me. Not having towel art is not going to make me look back on my trip as unmagical.

What I'm trying to say is that some people have put their expectations at a point where they will be disappointed because it's over-the-top, but that's not Disney's fault. Seeing chipped paint should not lessen your trip and I hope it wouldn't be the only thing noticed on that trip. To me, chipped paint is not that big of deal. I've got it at my house and if it bothers someone, they can come over and paint it for me. We can't expect the parks to be perfectly pristine AND affordable.

In fact, I have a hard time believing the parks were ever as good as some people "remember" them. The internet wasn't around for "fan" sites to display chipped paint pictures and call it "bad show" nor were forums around for people to pine about it ruining their vacation. I also have a feeling that most of these "good old days" memories tend to be more positive than the situation actually warranted.

wannab@dis

mrtoad said:
The parks did have less chippng paint in the past. That is not people's imaginations. I have been going to WDW since 1972 and they are not kept as well. There use to be a job where one person would scrape and repaint the horse head posts (not sure of the real name) one after another and start again at the begining. I beleive the whole process was 1 1/2 months per cycle. This is in a Disney book, I believe "Since the World Began", but not sure that is the one. I don't have time to go looking right now.

I think that both the guest and the employees need to do a better job. Not all on either side of the fence but some on both sides...
I'm not doubting that you think the parks are "not kept up like they used to be". I'm just saying that those expectations are more personal than general. I personally have not felt that the parks are a mess as some people seem to think. I don't get upset if some of the attractions have chipping paint due to high usage every day. It goes back to expectations.

Also, you are VERY correct that the guests have a lot to do with problems that arise in the parks. It's the careless and self centered guests that cause most problems that you may see.

To me, Disney has done a wonderful job keeping the magic in the parks. It's a tireless and thankless job that so many CMs do everyday to keep things in top shape. If something is not perfect, I'm not going to dwell on it and let it take away from my experience.

brich

Tigger1988 said:
I don't think we dreamed up the way the parks used to look, the way CMs used to act etc...thats how things were. Now, the parks are seriously lacking, I'm not going to go cry over chipped paint, but seeing the parks in such a condition is saddening. The "good ol' days" really happened, and I for one miss them alot.
So tell me more about these good ol' days. Unless your profile has a typo, your first trip could only have happened in 1988, the year you were born, in which case, you probably don't remember much. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll say in 1995, you were probably about 7 years old, which is a better age for remembering stuff like how CM's acted and the "condition" of the park and remembering the good ol' days... :D
I suppose if the conditions are so saddening, you still go because..... :veryconfu

brich

mrtoad said:

The point is, that WDW is not kept up the way it use to be but I think it has gotten much better in the past couple of years than it was a while back. Sure it is better than many other places but it is not what people who have been going to WDW for years upon years have come to expect.

Do I see a lot of good things happening? Sure do. I just stayed at POR and I think the room rehabs are awesome. The work done on the tile in the sink area and bathroom is beautiful. I think the work done on It's a Small World is also awesome. Super bright and shiny the way it should be.

A lot of the problems come down to guests who don't do the right thing either. People will see napkins all over the ground outside an eating place and think that the park is a mess. 5 minutes prior one peson dropped all those napkins and could not be bothered to pick them up. That was wrong to do. I don't think anyone should litter whether it is at WDW or anywhere else.

I think we still need to keep in mind the age and the use of these parks. Upkeep to a 10 year old park is easier and cheaper than upkeep to a 30 year old park. Has guest counts increased over the years? More people using the parks? Help costs more. Supplies cost more yet we want the admission prices to stay reasonable. I still say I think Disney has done a fine job. Always room for improvement but let's be thankful for what we have... :)

wannab@dis

brich said:
I think we still need to keep in mind the age and the use of these parks. Upkeep to a 10 year old park is easier and cheaper than upkeep to a 30 year old park. Has guest counts increased over the years? More people using the parks? Help costs more. Supplies cost more yet we want the admission prices to stay reasonable. I still say I think Disney has done a fine job. Always room for improvement but let's be thankful for what we have... :)

Always good to see another positive attitude! Thanks! :wave:

Tigger1988

brich said:
So tell me more about these good ol' days. Unless your profile has a typo, your first trip could only have happened in 1988, the year you were born, in which case, you probably don't remember much. But giving you the benefit of the doubt, I'll say in 1995, you were probably about 7 years old, which is a better age for remembering stuff like how CM's acted and the "condition" of the park and remembering the good ol' days... :D
I suppose if the conditions are so saddening, you still go because..... :veryconfu

First, don't insult my intelligence just because I am younger. My family has been making trips to WDW since 1982..YES before I was born. I have heard many a story about exceptional CMs who really made the park magical, even some who would remember your name a year after they first met you. And yes I experienced some of this first hand. I still go because of a love for Disney and the parks...yes its sad to seem them in this state, but you won't see me crying about it.

mrtoad

brich said:

You are correct but I think if they did things like paint a railing when it chips rather than wait until it rust through it will save them money in the long run. Rather thay pay someone to paint it and the paint necessary to do so, they now need to pay someone to replace the whole thing.

This is something though that many people are guilty of as well. You brakes start making a noise and you ignor it and the difference in cost could be hundreds...

I am not saying that WDW isn't a great place. If I did not thinks so I would not work so hard to come up with the money to keep going back. I just point out if I think something needs work. I don't see any harm in that.

Fido

brich said:

Very goog points. Times change, as well as the economy. I think there is room for improvement (and I think it IS improving), but I'm thankful that it is still pretty much the same old WDW.

MouseearsDeb

I have to agree that it's not like I remember it being so long ago. The 'magical times' really did exist and still do, but not quiet the same as years ago. I think those of us who are old enough to recall how it was are spoiled to that time era. Plus, you have to take in consideration the park was still new. Seems like in all of society that this generation of young people, are not being brought up to show the respect for others or pride in what they do. Not, saying all are this way. But, people just don't seem to be held accountable anymore. As an adult, I see the things others have pointed out, the chipped paint, the sound system in the HH, most especially what used to be a bright smile on all the CM's faces. I have to wonder if the training that went along with the job in the distant past is still what the newbies are taught today. One other note, as a parent of a small child and a teenager, I do not appreciate anyone using profanity in public. I have run into this problem with not only WDW CM's but people in general. Ain't it a shame how things have changed! Some for the good and some not. Personally, I can't wait 'till I park my rental van. Hop on the parking tram and pull up to the transportation/ticket center. :D

brich

Tigger1988 said:
First, don't insult my intelligence just because I am younger. My family has been making trips to WDW since 1982..YES before I was born. I have heard many a story about exceptional CMs who really made the park magical, even some who would remember your name a year after they first met you. And yes I experienced some of this first hand. I still go because of a love for Disney and the parks...yes its sad to seem them in this state, but you won't see me crying about it.
WHOA... Not insulting your intelligence my friend. Your responses where made sounding as if you had first hand knowledge. You responded to this qoute by Wannab@dis " In fact, I have a hard time believing the parks were ever as good as some people "remember" them. The internet wasn't around for "fan" sites to display chipped paint pictures and call it "bad show" nor were forums around for people to pine about it ruining their vacation. I also have a feeling that most of these "good old days" memories tend to be more positive than the situation actually warranted."

Your response to it was not first hand knowledge of the conditions of the park. Your knowledge of back then was second hand. Not knocking your families recollection but rather the fact that your not using first hand knowledge in your rebuttal. Your memories of the good ol' days are actually your parent's memories. Just questioning what are truly your own first hand memories.

Sorry if I sparked a nerve. Guess I was a little rough. Didn't mean it... :eek:

Our family returned from an 11 day trip to WDW on the 25th of August. Many of the CMs were wonderful and I enjoyed speaking with them. There was something that happened at 3 different spots, however, that I'd like to mention because it made me feel uncomfortable and unwanted.

Apparently, when you talk to a CM for more than a few minutes, a supervisor will appear, seemingly out of nowhere, to take the CM away from you. I was at the Maharajah Jungle Trek speaking with a nice CM about the tigers when another CM, not in AK costume, came over and needed to speak to her. I thanked her and moved on. So did the supervisor. As soon as I got to the next CM and he started to tell me about the animals at that spot, the supervisor was there and the CM clammed up.

At Conservation Station, a CM was interrupted by a supervisor while we were speaking, but it didn't feel quite as deliberate.

This also happened at my resort's gift shop. My husband purchased a rather expensive (for us) necklace for me and I picked it up at our resort shop. I showed it to the CM who called others over and we enjoyed a little "show and tell". Out of nowhere came the supervisor, who dispersed everyone. OK, this I can understand. There is a store to monitor.
The next morning, I went in to buy milk and a different CM told me about some items that were on sale. She walked me through the store and showed me the items. She told me how lovely WDW is at Christmas and that I should make a point of visiting in Dec. In other words, she was selling, which is her job. Out came the same supervisor as the evening before. This poor CM practically ran from me! This super then tried to act like he was just saying "hi", but his acting was poor. He hovered near me like "big brother". I left the shop feeling like I had intruded on his property.

I have asked CMs about this practice of taking back the CMs from guests and the answer I got was that it varies from manager to manager. Could somebody tell me, for future reference, if there is a time limit (say, 3-5 minutes) for speaking with a particular CM before they send in the troops to break it up? I'd rather know so next year this guest won't feel like she's overstayed her welcome.

Tigger1988

brich said:
WHOA... Not insulting your intelligence my friend. Your responses where made sounding as if you had first hand knowledge. You responded to this qoute by Wannab@dis " In fact, I have a hard time believing the parks were ever as good as some people "remember" them. The internet wasn't around for "fan" sites to display chipped paint pictures and call it "bad show" nor were forums around for people to pine about it ruining their vacation. I also have a feeling that most of these "good old days" memories tend to be more positive than the situation actually warranted."

Your response to it was not first hand knowledge of the conditions of the park. Your knowledge of back then was second hand. Not knocking your families recollection but rather the fact that your not using first hand knowledge in your rebuttal. Your memories of the good ol' days are actually your parent's memories. Just questioning what are truly your own first hand memories.

Sorry if I sparked a nerve. Guess I was a little rough. Didn't mean it... :eek:

Sorry if I responded harshly, but me and my family take Disney seriously so I sort of took that as a personal attack, all is well :wave:

Yes, I have first hand memories of fantastic CMs, and many second hand memories.
I hope to create many more memories as years go on.

brich

mrtoad said:
You are correct but I think if they did things like paint a railing when it chips rather than wait until it rust through it will save them money in the long run. Rather thay pay someone to paint it and the paint necessary to do so, they now need to pay someone to replace the whole thing.
But then you have to question, was the neglect happing during the good ol' times and just finally catching up to WDW. things don't rust out over night. I'm pretty sure the park was made pretty solid. So long as it's still standing, I'm happy.. :lol:

mrtoad said:
This is something though that many people are guilty of as well. You brakes start making a noise and you ignor it and the difference in cost could be hundreds...
I'm guilty. My brakes started going 2 months ago. They still stop me but I'm sure the bill will be heavy when I do get them fixed... :brick:

brich

Tigger1988 said:
Sorry if I responded harshly, but me and my family take Disney seriously......
Ahhhh, I think just about every Disney junkie on these boards takes Disney serious.... :D
:lookaroun at times, maybe too serious... :eek: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom